Buying a house in dublin - good areas for a family?

There's an Educate Together primary school in or planned for Drumcondra (All Hallows).

And worth mentioning the main reason for the traffic issues at specific times on Griffith Avenune is the proliferation of schools on it!

For shopping in Clontarf there is Nolans Vernon Avenue, which is a lovely supermarket although premium prices.
Think the op didn’t want a catholic national school or maybe I misread. My brothers all went to school on Griffith Avenue and all my kids pals went to Ard Scoil in recent times with very good feedback. I meant in relation to the vibe of say Malahide or Howth I think Clontarf is split and sprawling a bit the coffee shop/eatery options are not as good even St Annes the biggest park has nothing compared to Malahide Castle in terms of facilities and imo. Worder would Raheny be an option but really the budget is the thing and the rest is all supposition and conjecture my parents live there currently and I think its fine with maybe more choice in terms of schools and also gaelscoileanna and naionrai that do the ECCE year if that was of interest.

Think the op didn’t want a catholic national school or maybe I misread. My brothers all went to school on Griffith Avenue and all my kids pals went to Ard Scoil in recent times with very good feedback. I meant in relation to the vibe of say Malahide or Howth I think Clontarf is split and sprawling a bit the coffee shop/eatery options are not as good even St Annes the biggest park has nothing compared to Malahide Castle in terms of facilities and imo. Worder would Raheny be an option but really the budget is the thing and the rest is all supposition and conjecture my parents live there currently and I think its fine with maybe more choice in terms of schools and also gaelscoileanna and naionrai that do the ECCE year if that was of interest.
Yes, well one important point about the how spread out Clontarf is, the DART station is Clontarf Road rather than Clontarf itself. Only the Yacht \ Saint Lawrence Road \ Saint Anthony's Parish part of Clontarf in its vicintiy. It is closer to Fairview and parts of Marino and East Wall.

Some Clontarf areas may be close to Killester DART but really some parts of Clontarf aren't on the DART line in practice eg Vernon Avenue, Gabriels Road, Conquer Hill.

The OP mentioned a daughter so I think it would be Maryfield or Dominican or Mount Temple in terms of secondary school options Griffith Avenue way.

I don't know if the OP clarified re: religious schools.

But at this point, probably has enough food for thought until responds with deeper questions about specific areas.

Yes, well one important point about the how spread out Clontarf is, the DART station is Clontarf Road rather than Clontarf itself. Only the Yacht \ Saint Lawrence Road \ Saint Anthony's Parish part of Clontarf in its vicintiy. It is closer to Fairview and parts of Marino and East Wall.

Some Clontarf areas may be close to Killester DART but really some parts of Clontarf aren't on the DART line in practice eg Vernon Avenue, Gabriels Road, Conquer Hill.

The OP mentioned a daughter so I think it would be Maryfield or Dominican or Mount Temple in terms of secondary school options Griffith Avenue way.

I don't know if the OP clarified re: religious schools.

But at this point, probably has enough food for thought until responds with deeper questions about specific areas.
They said they were atheists I believe.

I completely defer to your superior grammatical insight from being a long time lurker! That said I was referring to the family in plural as referenced in the op should there be a comma I am unsure tbh.

Is it ok if I claim to be good at spelling, can look people in the eye & generally get on with most folks?

Is there a comma missing there Thomas? ;)
Well of course Thomas Aquinas is a believer.

As for the OP being atheist, Educate Together schools are not non-denominational, very much the opposite, they are multi-denominational. All the religions circling the wagons to extend religious education with out the whiff of abuse of the past.

Well of course Thomas Aquinas is a believer.

As for the OP being atheist, Educate Together schools are not non-denominational, very much the opposite, they are multi-denominational. All the religions circling the wagons to extend religious education with out the whiff of abuse of the past.
I am not in the habit of sticking labels on anybody the OP made a reference to being atheist
Thanks, it's very logical to rent first, unfortunately not practical for us as we're moving with pets. And yeah, it's much more expensive compared to buying, at least in our circumstances. We both work from home, we don't know anyone there (yet), atheists and not looking to be around expats from our country. So that leaves us with access to good schools, access to parks is important, but every house we're currently considering has some parks close by. Proximity to the centre is what we trade off, but that's ok with a young kid, it's not like we can go out much anyway :) With all that in mind, we're looking for somewhere where everyday life is nice, and once in a while you can take a cab to the centre for an evening out.

Thanks, which areas for example? We still want to live in the city as we're both urban types, so currently not looking beyond the m50, although for the same price, you definitely get more there.

Just outside the M50 but sandyford and stepaside are very safe, very “southside” feel, good schools and transport links and great amenities. Lots of new builds going in. Gorgeous walks up the mountains.

We're looking to buy a house in Dublin, but as we currently live a few hours of flight away, we can't explore it as much as we'd like, so any input is appreciated, tia.
One location is Walsh Road, Drumcondra, near Griffith Park.
Another is The Heath, Cypress Downs, Tempelogue (it's listed as Tempelogue anyway).
We also saw a few houses in Rathfarnham, which, as we understand, is a nice place in general and for families in particular.
The worst thing you could possible do is rely on the information on this thread in order to pick a place in Dublin.

In fact if I were you I'd avoid Dublin altogether. If I were to buy in Dublin I would pick Malahide in North Dublin. Dublin is a vast sprawling city. Traffic is chronic. All the time. Parking is horrendous. All the policies are to deny cars access, yet the houses don't have garages or parking (yes I've seen what passes for a parking spot in Ballsbridge). The public transport is the best in Ireland, but that's not saying much. It can take over an hour to get from Dublin airport to Heuston train station.

As a person who moved abroad I advise you to rent, and then walk the areas you feel are suitable. Personally as you work from home I'd be looking at somewhere on the East Coast (weather in the West is way worse). And if you really need a city look at small ones like Waterford (up and coming), or go for Cork city, somewhere like Douglas. I'd focus on a good town/city, with excellent schools and good public transport links (which generally means somewhere that links to Dublin. You'll buy a lot more bang for your buck, loads of space for kids and animals, a lot less cost, and pay to go to Dublin to stay in the Shelbourne for the concerts you desire. You'll be well able to afford it compared to buying in Dublin.

The most crucial thing you left out of you query was your budget.

And I wouldn't be relying on any company to continue to a) employ you b) do what they promised as regards relocation c) keep you home working. Been there done that and got the t-shirt.

Very, very, curious to know what this means in practice, as a Northsider. Can you explain? In monosyllables if necessary.

Green, Trees, Luas, mountains!

But my badly made point is that it’s as accessible and pretty as the other southside areas within M50 - to counter the requirement that the OP has to restrict to within M50 and the value in stepaside and onwards versus dundrum for example is a lot better. I’m not saying north side locations aren’t as nice of course and may be far nicer - I don’t know that side of the city well tbh!

Last edited:
Green, Trees, Luas, mountains!

But my badly made point is that it’s as accessible and pretty as the other southside areas within M50 - to counter the requirement that the OP has to restrict to within M50 and the value in stepaside and onwards versus dundrum for example is a lot better. I’m not saying north side locations aren’t as nice of course and may be far nicer - I don’t know that side of the city well tbh!
As my Grandmother would say ‘county not country’.

Back