Buying a house in dublin - good areas for a family?

there is a premium to be paid for dart proximity v commuter lines. to say its overpriced is a personal opinion, one i wouldnt necessarily share.
Fair enough, opinions differ. Fifteen years ago, I'd have agreed entirely that Dart justified a significant premium over commuter rail. However, the Maynooth line has dramatically improved frequency in recent times. (No real direct experience of the Naas line, but I'd imagine there's significant investment going into it.)

Well, what is good idea for family from your perspective?

Beauty is in eye of beholder and what they can afford.

OP in your search I would also suggest that you research carefully the type of schooling available in your target areas. At primary level, most schools are state run but Catholic in ethos, with mostly mixed male/female but not always. If you are interested in anything outside of this, and wish to live close to your child's school, then your potential target areas might be informed by availability of the type of school you would like.

If the OP is not completely bamboozled by now - good luck with choosing

Dublin is a big sprawling city with some areas covered by good public transportation and some are just a disaster. Hence it is all going to come down your list of priorities.

If commuting is not an issue, don't rule out areas like Greystones in Wicklow or North County Dublin either. Also some good commuter towns where you will get far bigger bang for your buck like Naas and Leixlip

I'd say rent a house first and then buy something when you know the areas better.
That would avoid making a monumental error that you can't undo very easily.

Long way from second level then!

If you had children at or close to secondary school age, I'd have said to start your research there.

Any of your locations are fine, transport links might be another thing to consider.
Thanks! yeah, still a long way til then. We both work from home so transport isn't an issue at the moment.

Not much to go on other than you want a "nice" place in a "good area".
(Don't we all - but "nice" and "good area" are pretty subjective).
Maybe some details of budget and more specifics about your needs would elicit useful feedback?
You're right, it's subjective, but I guess "good for families" means, first of all, safe. That when walking around the area you feel ok, no need to be on the lookout or avoid certain places / people - as far as can be in a large city, obviously it's never 100%, but in every city, some areas are better than others in that respect. Alsoת with access to good schools, in our case primary schools (10+ years til secondary school will be relevant).
We both work from home so transport / proximity to work isn't an issue.

Templeogue, Terenure and Rathfarnham are very expensive and, in my opinion, bad value as there are nicer areas to live. I grew up and live in the area and I don't understand the attraction. You'll get far more house in just as nice an area if you look around.
Thanks, which areas for example? We still want to live in the city as we're both urban types, so currently not looking beyond the m50, although for the same price, you definitely get more there.

I would start with where your place of work will be and work outwards from there.

Traffic is slow and public transport is poor in Dublin so I would always prioritise that first.

Once you're not on the coast the different parts of Dublin don't vary hugely.
We both work from home so I didn't mention the transport issue, I agree it's very important if you have to get to work every day.

Thanks, which areas for example? We still want to live in the city as we're both urban types, so currently not looking beyond the m50, although for the same price, you definitely get more there.
You could look at the Phibsboro, Grangegorman, Cabra, Navan Road, Ashtown, Castleknock, Carpenterstown corridor. Mixture of long established "nice" areas and rapidly gentrifying areas courtesy of Luas, commuter rail and new third level campus.

In which case unless you really need to be in shouting distance of family, I'd ditch Dublin & look for better value elsewhere.
We're moving alone, no family there. I see what you mean by better value, but as urban types, we'd still like to be in the city (although with a young kid, it's obviously harder to enjoy city life as much), so looking for areas that may be quieter, but within a reasonable distance of the centre.

Would you consider renting for a year first and getting to know Dublin? (Although it's very expensive and hard to find.)

There is a world of difference between Drumcondra and Templeogue. If you are working in Tallaght, you don't really want to be living in Drumcondra.

You need to create a checklist of what is important to you and in what order.

1) Access to place of employment - should probably be number 1 for most people
2) Access to family and friends
3) Access to your community/church if you are coming from abroad and not Irish
4) Access to the mountains or the sea or public parks or sports facilities
5) Access to primary schools
6) Access to the City Centre

And then price means you have to trade off some of these.

Brendan
Thanks, it's very logical to rent first, unfortunately not practical for us as we're moving with pets. And yeah, it's much more expensive compared to buying, at least in our circumstances. We both work from home, we don't know anyone there (yet), atheists and not looking to be around expats from our country. So that leaves us with access to good schools, access to parks is important, but every house we're currently considering has some parks close by. Proximity to the centre is what we trade off, but that's ok with a young kid, it's not like we can go out much anyway :) With all that in mind, we're looking for somewhere where everyday life is nice, and once in a while you can take a cab to the centre for an evening out.

I would also add that you need to seek childcare at the same time as housing, as it is almost as difficult to find.
Thanks, I read a lot about childcare being difficult to find, but by the time we move, our daughter would only need 1 year of ecce before starting school. Is ecce as difficult to find as well?

We're moving alone, no family there. I see what you mean by better value, but as urban types, we'd still like to be in the city (although with a young kid, it's obviously harder to enjoy city life as much), so looking for areas that may be quieter, but within a reasonable distance of the centre.
Dublin's not the only city in the country - there are those who would claim it isn't even the capital! ;)

I'd reorder Brendan's list, if you've young kids

1) Employment location (will there be more than one of you working?)
2) Schools / childcare (ideally.walking distance or convenient for route to work)
3) Public transport (ideally DART or LUAS)
4) Amenities
5) City centre (far less important when you've a young family)
Not sure I would put Employment location as nr 1 priority any longer. Since covid and the adoption of remote/hybrid practices, its far less of a driver (where remote work is feasible). People where I work in Dublin are in far out towns now like Kilkenny. Commuting 1 or 2 days a week isn't a strain that it would have been x5 days.

Obviously doesn't apply if you are a nurse or something that requires a physical presence to complete your activity, but if you have the option, accepting a long commute a few times a month opens up many options and locations + a lot more bang for your buck.

50+o
Yeah, we both work from home. We're both urban types so still prefer the city (at least for now), so that's why I'm enquiring about locations in Dublin.

Ordinarily I would agree but there is actually much more selection for buyers than for renters these days in Dublin.
you're both right, it's more rational to rent first, but 1. we're moving with pets, which makes renting far less practical 2. as you said, there's more selection for buyers, and it's financially better for us.

Back