Buying a house in dublin - good areas for a family?

veredcd

We're looking to buy a house in Dublin, but as we currently live a few hours of flight away, we can't explore it as much as we'd like, so any input is appreciated, tia.
One location is Walsh Road, Drumcondra, near Griffith Park.
Another is The Heath, Cypress Downs, Tempelogue (it's listed as Tempelogue anyway).
We also saw a few houses in Rathfarnham, which, as we understand, is a nice place in general and for families in particular.

Last edited:
Long way from second level then!

If you had children at or close to secondary school age, I'd have said to start your research there.

Any of your locations are fine, transport links might be another thing to consider.

Not much to go on other than you want a "nice" place in a "good area".
(Don't we all - but "nice" and "good area" are pretty subjective).
Maybe some details of budget and more specifics about your needs would elicit useful feedback?

We're looking to buy a house in Dublin, but as we currently live a few hours of flight away, we can't explore it as much as we'd like, so any input is appreciated, tia.
One location is Walsh Road, Drumcondra, near Griffith Park.
Another is The Heath, Cypress Downs, Tempelogue (it's listed as Tempelogue anyway).
We also saw a few houses in Rathfarnham, which, as we understand, is a nice place in general and for families in particular.
Templeogue, Terenure and Rathfarnham are very expensive and, in my opinion, bad value as there are nicer areas to live. I grew up and live in the area and I don't understand the attraction. You'll get far more house in just as nice an area if you look around.

I would start with where your place of work will be and work outwards from there.

Traffic is slow and public transport is poor in Dublin so I would always prioritise that first.

Once you're not on the coast the different parts of Dublin don't vary hugely.

I wouldnt know the Southside locations.

Drumcondra can get very hectic due to Croke Park events at weekends.

Drumcondra to Marino along Griffith Avenue is a bit further away from Croke Park to avoid that and is served by many schools.

A bit further out on Northside along DART train line there is Clontarf - Killester - Raheny - Bayside - Sutton. Lots of schools and services. St Annes Park and seafront / Bull Island in vicinity.

Sutton and Howth traffic can be gridlockd summer weekends in good weather.

Last edited:

Would you consider renting for a year first and getting to know Dublin? (Although it's very expensive and hard to find.)

There is a world of difference between Drumcondra and Templeogue. If you are working in Tallaght, you don't really want to be living in Drumcondra.

You need to create a checklist of what is important to you and in what order.

1) Access to place of employment - should probably be number 1 for most people
2) Access to family and friends
3) Access to your community/church if you are coming from abroad and not Irish
4) Access to the mountains or the sea or public parks or sports facilities
5) Access to primary schools
6) Access to the City Centre

And then price means you have to trade off some of these.

Brendan

I'd reorder Brendan's list, if you've young kids

1) Employment location (will there be more than one of you working?)
2) Schools / childcare (ideally.walking distance or convenient for route to work)
3) Public transport (ideally DART or LUAS)
4) Amenities
5) City centre (far less important when you've a young family)

Not sure I would put Employment location as nr 1 priority any longer. Since covid and the adoption of remote/hybrid practices, its far less of a driver (where remote work is feasible). People where I work in Dublin are in far out towns now like Kilkenny. Commuting 1 or 2 days a week isn't a strain that it would have been x5 days.

Obviously doesn't apply if you are a nurse or something that requires a physical presence to complete your activity, but if you have the option, accepting a long commute a few times a month opens up many options and locations + a lot more bang for your buck.

50+o

Only the OP can figure out the relative importance of proximity to schools, workplaces and public transport options. But in the absence of that info, I'd make a general point. The southside of Dublin is overpriced and overrated compared to the northside. Similarly Dart proximity is overpriced compared to proximity to commuter rail on the Maynooth and Naas lines. There's also a better selection on non fee-paying (or fee-charging!) schools on the northside.

Fully agree.

If you have no familial connections the northside is a better bet. I've always reckoned about 10% cheaper at whatever amenity level.
Closer to 20% but yeah, definitely a thing. Completely baffled me all those years ago as a culchie immigrant to the big smoke.

My point was to give an example of what might be on the checklist rather than to set the priorities. Although, for most people, avoiding a long commute will be a priority.

Brendan

Only the OP can figure out the relative importance of proximity to schools, workplaces and public transport options. But in the absence of that info, I'd make a general point. The southside of Dublin is overpriced and overrated compared to the northside. Similarly Dart proximity is overpriced compared to proximity to commuter rail on the Maynooth and Naas lines. There's also a better selection on non fee-paying (or fee-charging!) schools on the northside.
there is a premium to be paid for dart proximity v commuter lines. to say its overpriced is a personal opinion, one i wouldnt necessarily share.

Back