Best/Worst Chinese Takeaway 2004 Nominations

delivery man

you smile and also give him a tip. Any other reaction would be unfruitful!

Best/Worst Chineese Takeaway 2004 Nominations

Fortune in Woodstown S/c is our local too...small world!

The Singapore Chow Mein is edible but they have the worst curries I have ever tasted.

My vote goes to Top Tops in Old Bawn...

Re: Best/Worst Chineese Takeaway 2004 Nominations

I'll be trying Tops Tops in Old Bawn this weekend so Kiddo. Thanks for the tip.

Would you recommend anything in particular from them?

Top Tops is good. I could never remember which is which but there's a Tip Tops down by the Abberley in Tallaght too. Don't know about that one. There's also a Top Tops in Rathfarnham but I don't believe that's as good as Old Bawn.

Choices is another one that springs to mind in Tallaght. It was a good spot a few years ago but I haven't been in a while.

>>they have the worst curries I have ever tasted.

There is nothing Chinese about curry so I wouldn't expect to get a good one in a Chinese (at least I wouldn't expect it to be any better than the "Chinese Chicken and Chips.") :)

Severe lack of curry sauce with the chicken curry here.

Severe lack of curry sauce with the chicken curry here. Eatzen in Clonee that is.

Re: Best/Worst Chineese Takeaway 2004 Nominations [sic]

Having eaten in almost every Chinese on NYC's Upper Eastside, I must agree with on New Peking. Excellent veggies and the Hot and Dry Ribs starter is tops.

Chicken substitute

Is it just me or have almost all chinese takeaways taken to putting in some disgustin chicken substitute into their chicken currys.
I first noticed this happening about 3 years ago. It started with one chinese takeaway which i boycotted then the next i used and so on.
Then about 6 months ago the same happened to the chicken in China Link in Swords.
I havent ordered takeaway since.

Re: Top Tops

Hi Piggy

My favourites are

Hot & spicy chicken
Singapore chow mein
Special Curry
Honey spare ribs

Himself has tried most of the menu and has no complaints...

Re: Chicken substitute

Dathi,

Now that you mention it I have come across that disgusting 'fake tasting' chicken. Does any one know what it is? Its like pieces of reconstituted chicken when has been 'hammered' out. I have found something similar with the beef dishes even the more expensive 'fillet' items. Recently I have been ordering the pork dishes which taste fine.

Max,

Have you noticed that Chinese food in the US is very different from what we get here in UK and Ireland? Is this because in the US the Chinese people come from a different part of the country? or because they have adopted the taste patterns of their host country.

ajapale

the Good World

The food could be fantastic for all I know but the time I entered the restaurant a senior staff member was so rude that I left and swore that I'd never patronise the place again! :mad

I have never seen so much cornflour in Chinese food as in Ireland (call around to the Asia Market in Drury Street where the stuff is sold in 5Kg sacks!). I am also frustrated by the lack of alternatives to white wheat bread and our love of chemical-laden soda bread. Uggh!<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->All in all, not a very adventurous palate in these parts.

call around to the Asia Market in Drury Street where the stuff is sold in 5Kg sacks!

Have you noticed the 5KG sacks of monosodium glutamate too? :x And while I'm at it ... what's up with the Asia Market? Last time I was there the place was in a heap and the aisles were too narrow to accommodate more than one person at a time. There was a bit of a worrying hum off the place too so I decamped to the cleaner, brighter and friendlier store in Mary Street instead.

Sweet Basil in Templeogue was good last time I tried it.
They do Thai as well.

Re: Boiled Meat and alternatives on bread

AJ,

"Now that you mention it I have come across that disgusting 'fake tasting' chicken. Does any one know what it is? Its like pieces of reconstituted chicken when has been 'hammered' out. I have found something similar with the beef dishes even the more expensive 'fillet' items."

I've noticed quite a no. of chinese restaurants seem to be boiling the meat and then just adding it to the sauces afterwards which appears to take from the taste. Would this be the problem that you refer to above.

"I am also frustrated by the lack of alternatives to white wheat bread"

Very interested in alternatives also in light of the bad publicity given to the above. Is not an option?

, <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->
040321headroom.jpg
wrote -
<snip><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->and our love of chemical-laden soda bread. Uggh!<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--></snip>
Says it all.

Tom Doorley in a recent Irish Times restaurant review column described most mass produced chicken as tofu for meat eaters. He has a point.

Chinese Knocklyon/Rathfarnham area

Fortune in Woodstown is my local Chinese too. Don't think it's great. Cassia above the Morgue in Templeogue used be worth the extra distance and expense for an excellent takeaway but has now closed. Has anyone tried takeaway from the Chinese Restaurant behind the Orchard in Rathfarnham. Don't recall the name?

Re: Top Tops

Thanks for the tip re Tops Tops in Tallaght Kiddo.

Tried out their Duck with green peppers and black bean sauce on saturday.

Their fried rice was light and fluffy (not stodgy as it usually is in others takeaways) and the duck was delicious. Not fatty either.

Not that any of it's very good for you but definitely the best chinese takeaway I've had in a long time.

Back