Best/Worst Chinese Takeaway 2004 Nominations

A

ajapale

There has been an explosion in the number of Chineese takeaways in the last few years. Standards vary and I'm inviting nominations for the Best/Worst Chineese Takeaway 2004.Bear in mind that some ct's change hands rapidly so recent observations only!
ajapale

Re: Best/Worst Chineese Takeaway 2004 Nominations

There's one in Finglas - the HOI WUn... find it very good. The own Chris (don't know what his Chinese name is...) is a great guy and provides a great service. You can see directly into tke kitchen where there will be 12-14 people (Irish and Chinese) working away.

There's also a restaurant in Leixlip who do take aways (can't remember the name but it's upstairs beside the car park... Excellent food, same as if you were dining there.

Brian
PS. Might be The Amber House now that I rack my brains

Herself is just picking up an order from our regular - Fortune in Woodstown S/C, Ballycullen.

Best Chinese I've had was during student times down in Carlow. Jade Garden was nice. There's one beside Xtravision too which was my favourite.

Back to the Big Smoke, The Leaf restaurant joined to the Abberley Hotel in Tallaght is a nice spot. Got take away once but we were charged restaurant prices as they don't really do take away. They do, however, do an all-you-can-eat buffet on Fridays between 12.30 and 2.30 for €10 (last I heard). Haven't tried it myself for fear of just overfeeding. I was at one of these affairs in Stuttgart once but it was only €7!!! Brilliant altogether.

I'd order out but I'd imagine the delivery charge would be prohibitive.

They do, however, do an all-you-can-eat buffet on Fridays between 12.30 and 2.30 for €10 (last I heard).

I've been to this. So long as you don't fill up on rice or chips it can be reasonable value. Realistically, the most you're probably going to eat is a tenner's worth anyway. The Indian just down from it also does a lunch special for €8.50.

The Easy Chinese Take-Away in Cabinteely village is good - it has a wide choice of dishes and is not expensive.

There's also an excellent Indian next door - the Shanai Restaurant - that is a little more expensive but does eat-in as well as take-way.

Just be careful of some of their hot dishes... :eek:

Jumbo's in Thurles is great.

Red Rice on Lower Kimmage Road is good. Shirley House on Sundrive Road isn't too bad either. Neither is Young's in Rathmines (opp. the Garda Station). And for Indian Bombay Pantry near Young's is lovely (though I've heard others who've had mixed experiences there)

Blue Orchid Chinese & Thai on the Lr. Kimmage Road is excellent

Herself is just picking up an order from our regular - Fortune in Woodstown S/C, Ballycullen

That's my local too although I find it very hit and miss. I got some sweet and sour chicken there last week which had so much ginger in it it tasted like washing up liquid! Might be my last trip there for a while.

I tend to go with The Mandarin Inn in Rathfarnham in general. Far superior food and there's at least one hottie working behind the counter sometimes!!

Similar ginger experience that night we ordered too. Although I was pushing the boat out a bit with the Bangkok salute. My usual is the singapore fried rice.

You sound a lot more adventurous with your orders than I am fatherdougalmaguire. I must try that.

Thanks for the great nominations .. keep them coming!

Occassionaly my work takes me to Clonee, Co Meath. Clonee can claim the dearest petrol in Ireland but also IMHO the best chinese takeaway on these Islands!

www.eatzen.ie/

Inexpensive expansive menu and very quick service. Clean and funky modern decor.

Malaysian Randang Curry Dishes (Meat in a dry Malaysian Curry with a blend of Hot Spices, Cubed Potatoes, Onion and Red Chilli in a Coconut Milk) or Thai Red Curry Dishes (A Blend of Aromatic spices, Galangal, Shallots with Onion, Carrots and Red Chilli in a Coconut Milk.

mmmm!

ajapale

I concur.....

Having lived in the Clonee area Eatzens is by far the best in the area.

Now living in Sandyford/Stepaside area but I make the trek down to a place called the New Peking in Dundrum opposite the Criminal Mental institution. Very tasty, inexpensive and free prawn crackers when you spend €9.
Far better than a lot of places that are closer.

Re: I DON'T concur.....

How Irish: Everything's great. You'd swear it was hard to find bad Chinese food in Dublin. Of the ones I've tried in Dublin, the Good World, Wong's and the Imperial were good. The rest serve up various tubs of glutinous slop with rice or chips. Still, you can't beat chicken balls and chips after a night on the pop can you?

Oh, I nearly forgot. My nomination for the worst restaurant is Chanze. Largely because it pretends to be good and charges accordingly.

Hi Chapman,

How Irish: Everything's great.

I nominate the Naas Inn Chinese Takeaway as the worst.

Have you ever tried to complain to a Chinese Takeaway about poor quality service or product?

ajapale

Howdy Ajapale,

You've got to be kidding. No point complaining after eating, and folly to complain before - Sum Yung Guy and all that.

I have complained after eating at restaurants which I felt had given a poor show by previous standards however. It has led me to observe that the Irish (god, I sound like I an awful hibernophobe) idea of customer relations in the service industries is to have good excuses as to why it's not their fault. Now I don't bother, I just don't go back and bad mouth them on opportunity arising.

While we're on the subject, here is a carefully transcribed copy of the rules of good customer relations:

1) The customer is always right, even when they're not.

2) Don't make excuses. Customers don't give a rat's ass if your mother has just exploded in a fireball inferno. Say this: "We're dreadfully sorry you aren't happy. Here's a free biscuit."

3) Pay your staff well and sack the ones who don't make the punters happy.

Hi Chapman,

I like that attitude!

One of my complaints regarding Chinese Takeaways is the delivery time. The worst case was a 2 hour delay. What do you do when cold/congealed food arrives two hours late. With an irate hackney man demanding payment?

ajapale

Back