Are there couples who decided not to have kids?

The local priest asked Mrs. Bond why we had no kids, he asked her "Do you not like sex?" The cheek of him.

hi there,
We are married this year 10 years - we are constantly being asked "When are we having kids" - from family - one SIL in particular..
We went to a dinner party one night and a woman who I had never ment in my life asked me 3 times "When are we having kids" - and "Why dont I have children" . It sometimes really upsets me as we (Mr Bear and I) enjoy a good life - have always been best of friends and have never really felt it was something we really want to have...

I get it a lot. I just say "we have no interest in having kids", or "the hours wouldn't suit me"

And then you can have people saying "there's always adoption, you know"....

Next time someone says that ask them if they can sell you one of their children because the adoption agencies wont deal with you due to some murky half remembered drugs offence in your youth. Insinuate that the same drugs incident may have rendered you sterile so really buying one of their children is your only hope.

IMHO you're missing out.

You wouldn't say that if you knew my life. I don't know if I am missing out by not having kids but I do know I am enjoying the best years of my life without them. I suppose equally you will never know what your life could have been without the 'obvious' kids route. You weigh things up in life. I have heard many an old person wonder why they devoted their life to their kids but didn't see another option. I & my SO have taken the other option.

Next time someone says that ask them if they can sell you one of their children because the adoption agencies wont deal with you due to some murky half remembered drugs offence in your youth. Insinuate that the same drugs incident may have rendered you sterile so really buying one of their children is your only hope.

wicked :) ... nice one!

You wouldn't say that if you knew my life. I don't know if I am missing out by not having kids but I do know I am enjoying the best years of my life without them. I suppose equally you will never know what your life could have been without the 'obvious' kids route. You weigh things up in life. I have heard many an old person wonder why they devoted their life to their kids but didn't see another option. I & my SO have taken the other option.

Well said Roland, I couldn't agree more!

Honestly, I was bit scared to even ask in a forum, but people you gave me confidence! Thank you all!

How is that you are all so nice people???

I find it worse once you have one!
We had ours at 20 (yes, it was an accident) and have spent 5 years getting from student mother and minimum wage father to reasonably well earning, home owning mid 20s family. However, 5 years is way too much of a gap in some peoples opinions. I wouldn't have chosen a big age gap between kids prior to having our daughter but I'm not going to rush into having another simply to have a smaller age gap.
Once you have one they are fairly sure that there are no fertility problems so there's no consideration there!
As much as I hate trying to justify my family planning to people I detest when people say to our daughter "Mammy and Daddy will have to get you a brother or sister". Grrrrrrr.... She is 5 and (she thinks) she wants a sister/brother. It is cruel to put such a statement on the shoulders of a child and then me who has to explain why we are not getting a baby.

Anyway, when people say to me "you'll have to give her a sibling" or something along those lines, I always say "Once is a mistake, twice would be just plain stupid"(always out of earshot of the little one :) ) That shuts them up.
Don't get me wrong, I adore my daughter and we do plan on having another one (at least) in the next 5 years (all going well) but Mr. Ailbhe and I don't seem as bothered as other people (especially our parents :) ) about when we expand our family.

Back