Air Lingus strike threat

And you know how many? and what a sweeping statement re it being obvious to EVERYONE else !
OK, my apologies, maybe some people within Aer Lingus can see the obvious as well. If that's the case, and they can see the damage that they are doing to their own futures, then why on earth do they use the strike threat to settle every issue? I'm not just talking about staff; the management are equally to blame.
Let me spell it out for anyone who can't see the blindingly obvious. Every time there is a threat of strike in AL, it does enormous damage to customer confidence and to revenues. Who in their right mind would book a flight with AL that was departing in the next six weeks? You might risk it if it wasn't important, and if it was cheap enough, but you just can't be sure that you will be able to travel. If you have business abroad, or you are thinking of coming home from the USA for Christmas for instance, why on earth would you risk booking an AL flight?
Badly run airlines working out of Dublin had an easy ride for the last few years. Passenger numbers were high, on the back of high consumer spending and a steady flow of emigrant workers. That is changing, and the last thing AL needs is to drive away its loyal customer base -- people like me who have flown with them even when they were screwing me back in the seventies on the London route. From my point of view, having lost a lot of money by having to hedge my position every time they settle petty grievances with the strike weapon, and having been driven to alternatives, I no longer go automatically to aerlingus.com for my tickets. I'm not likely to come back either, except when it suits me.
I can only assume that the previous poster has an interest either as a member of AL staff or some other close relationship with them. He is entitled to his opinions, but should also take note of the realities of working in a private company. AL is no longer the featherbedded monopoly that is once was, and staff have to wake up to that fact.

Is there any suggestion that the management need to wake up a bit too?
Read my post; I acknowledged that the blame for the problems in Aer Lingus lies with all staff, managers included. The unionised staff are too quick to threaten the strike weapon, and that threat is what causes real damage to customer confidence. However I have consistently said that the mamagement create a situation where they use the industrial relations machinery to settle disputes that should never see the light of day. In any other company, performance like this would see most of the managers and a good lot of the staff sacked, with good reason.
If you exclude landing rights in London, Aer Lingus is worth nothing when you think about it. The value of the company lies in the business that it transacts, and this value is related to passenger numbers, occupancy, and seat sale prices. Driving away customers by washing dirty linen in public like this is so utterly crazy that it defies understanding.
I would like to see AL survive, but I don't believe that the staff (including the managers) understand that the 'good old days' are over and that they have to compete and perform in a challenging and shrinking marketplace with escalating costs. The only outcome that I can see is a sell off, with the wolves circling to hoover up the Heathrow slots.

i work for ei and have been told nothing on the matter... so far no strike has been confirmed for mon

i work for ei and have been told nothing on the matter... so far no strike has been confirmed for mon

As an employee do feel free to give us the lowdown on what exactly has been/is happening in Aer Lingus, may I also ask you how long you have worked there?

I see by this evening's news that they have agreed on a set of proposals to put to the staff. The SIPTU woman on the news didn't even have the cop on to moderate her message; she warned of the possibility of strike action if the proposals are not acceptable. You could almost hear the customers running away, the airline must be losing a ton of business with the uncertainty of the whole thing.
If they could work this dispute out in private as they have done over the last few days, it begs the question as to why they had to launder their dirty linen in public and drive away customers to the extent that they are now having to discount lots of seats to try to tempt them back. Watching the SIPTU rep on TV tonight, it's clear that the unions still don't get it. The need to protect the business while they fight about efficiencies is alien to the unions it seems.
To an outsider, it would look as if the unions and managers are trying to close the airline down with this irresponsible behaviour, but surely they can't be doing this on purpose? Can they really be so far out of touch with reality?

To an outsider, it would look as if the unions and managers are trying to close the airline down with this irresponsible behaviour, but surely they can't be doing this on purpose?

I'd say that's it alright.

Something like 70k?? How long are they with the company? The entry level wage to AL is €20,237.00 a full 10k less than the average industrial wage.

Did you know Dermot Mannion got a salary in the region of 1.1 million last year ??

According to the Indo today:

Average gross pay for new staff will drop to around €38,200.

So thats around 10K over the average industrial wage, as opposed to 10K below it which you seem to suggest is the norm.:confused:

Is it true that some of the newer office staff were put on manual handling courses last week so that they'd be able to do baggage handling work in case of strike?

According to the Indo today:

Average gross pay for new staff will drop to around €38,200.

And according to the Indo today -

Average gross pay will drop to around €38,200.

No mention of the words new staff, how would it drop anyways if they are just new staff:confused:

Back