Air Lingus strike threat

That's a sad state of affairs, NorfBank. Customers/travellers need reliability above all else! Don't Aer Lingus realise this??

I must say, I used to think a lot of Aer Lingus as a brand; the national carrier and all. I suppose you could call it 'customer inertia' or 'brand loyalty', but I would always check out flights on Aer Lingus first. But now I've realised that this brand loyalty has been misplaced.

Sorry have you not heard of code sharing?
I have an issue with Aer Lingus because of Irish emigrants of which I am one. Have you gotton the boat from one end of Ireland to London? Well I have and it was not pleasant. You cannot get to the USA without flying, it costs an absolute fortune even today for families to get back and now they don't know if the flights will go

Sorry have you not heard of code sharing?

:confused:

I have indeed gotten the boat.

You cannot get to the USA without flying

Of course you can get to USA without flying, ever heard of boats/cruise lines?:)

I have an issue with Aer Lingus because of Irish emigrants of which I am one.

Fly with someone else, simple really.

which in the past when it was the staff's private travel club it did not have to do

The British airlines are not perfect either.

I'm in a similar situation but I booked BMI to fly to London for a connecting flight. They contacted me two weeks ago to notify that my scheduled flight (11am arrival) had been cancelled and the next flight would arrive at 2pm which would be too late for my connecting flight.

I then had to book an Aer Lingus flight to get me to London on time and now this is up in the air too (not literally unfortunately), I might have to give Michael a try now and ferry myself from LGW to LHR.

Aargh.

Don't like that situation Norfbank :(, if you have to go down the Gatwick/Heathrow route this might be of help -

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_gatwick_bus_transfer.htm

Get the firemen to support the strike -maybe the taxi's and hey presto we finally catch on to how the French people protest. We need a good strike!

Get the firemen to support the strike -maybe the taxi's and hey presto we finally catch on to how the French people protest. We need a good strike!

You are so bold !:p

I have indeed gotten the boat.

Of course you can get to USA without flying, ever heard of boats/cruise lines?:)

Fly with someone else, simple really.

You know very well that code sharing meant that the prices and times were the same for say British Airway, London to Dublin as it was for Aer Lingus London to Dublin. There was not even a penny in the difference.
Sorry for my bad English, well did you travel on the boat via one end of Ireland on a bus and sleep on the floor of the boat and then get a train to London, there is no one I know who enjoys that. I remember the families and the vomit and I wouldn't like to subject my family to that.
As for flying with someone else, one time there was no competition. I suppose one could always swim:). I know you're being factitious about the boat to the US but it a very serious matter to people who have been looking forward to it and have saved long and hard for it. Oftentimes they only come home every other year.

You know very well that code sharing meant that the prices and times were the same for say British Airway, London to Dublin as it was for Aer Lingus London to Dublin. There was not even a penny in the difference.

There is always Ryanair & British Midland and maybe Cityjet are still flying to Dublin from London?

Sorry for my bad English, well did you travel on the boat via one end of Ireland on a bus and sleep on the floor of the boat and then get a train to London, there is no one I know who enjoys that. I remember the families and the vomit and I wouldn't like to subject my family to that.

I know I know, I've done it twice in the past, but it's good we have a choice of airlines now don't you think.

As for flying with someone else, one time there was no competition. I suppose one could always swim:). I know you're being factitious about the boat to the US but it a very serious matter to people who have been looking forward to it and have saved long and hard for it. Oftentimes they only come home every other year.

Competition, see above.

There are people who have worked long and hard in Aer Lingus who are now being told they can keep their jobs alright but will be paid minimum wage, their pensions gone, and their terms and conditions of employment totally changed etc etc The very people who didn't take many pay increases from the company over the years to help ensure it's survival and now the company want to use them as whipping boys.

It's a very serious issue for 1300 people and their families.

There are people who have worked long and hard in Aer Lingus who are now being told they can keep their jobs alright but will be paid minimum wage, their pensions gone, and their terms and conditions of employment totally changed etc etc The very people who didn't take many pay increases from the company over the years to help ensure it's survival and now the company want to use them as whipping boys.

It's a very serious issue for 1300 people and their families.

I know of lads pulling something like 70K per annum throwing a few bags on and off planes in Shannon - the wages are simply far too high for a competitive industry that is long since privatised.

The staff can either move with the times or watch the airline go under.

So what if they didn't take a few pay rises, they are waaaaaay overpaid anyway.

I know of lads pulling something like 70K per annum throwing a few bags on and off planes in Shannon
Something like 70k?? How long are they with the company? The entry level wage to AL is €20,237.00 a full 10k less than the average industrial wage.

Did you know Dermot Mannion got a salary in the region of 1.1 million last year ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know Dermot Mannion got a salary in the region of 1.1 million last year ??

What has that to do with anything? Would Aer Lingus be better off without him?

Fwiw, Mannion's salary equates to approx. €275 per AL staff member per year, not exactly a huge cost for AL to bear.

Yes they would be better off without him. You think that salary is justifiable when the entry level salary is 10k less than the average industrial wage? His salary is equivalent to 36.66 times the average industrial wage. Good for you if you do - you're entitled to your opinion:)

Yes they would be better off without him. You think that salary is justifiable when the entry level salary is 10k less than the average industrial wage? His salary is equivalent to 36.66 times the average industrial wage. Good for you if you do - you're entitled to your opinion:)

Well, what's the going rate for airline executives? Afaik Willie Walsh and Michael O'Leary are both earning serious money. Pay peanuts and...

This is an Aer Lingus thread, couldn't care less what others are earning. Aer Lingus is a small airline in the scheme of things, remuneration should match that for all employees.

This is an Aer Lingus thread, couldn't care less what others are earning.

Who was it said "no man is an island"? Well, no company is an island, least of all an airline :confused:

Aer Lingus is a small airline in the scheme of things, remuneration should match that for all employees.
So the pilots in Aer Lingus should get paid the same as the tea ladies?

So the pilots in Aer Lingus should get paid the same as the tea ladies?

Which line of my post said that ??

Remuneration should match responsibilty, my point is that 1.1 million is a humungous salary for a small airline.

They still have tea ladies in Aer Lingus?

Well what else does "remuneration should match that for all employees" mean?

It (remuneration) should match the fact that it's a small airline.

Back