Air Lingus strike threat

Surely there is more than Ubi with an opinion on this matter, it's getting boring debating an unwinnable argument with ubi?:)

Something like 70k?? How long are they with the company? The entry level wage to AL is €20,237.00 a full 10k less than the average industrial wage.

Did you know Dermot Mannion got a salary in the region of 1.1 million last year ??

Nobody forces people to work for Aer Lingus. They can work elsewhere if they want.

The reality is that Aer Lingus staff must now accept that they work in the private sector so tough sh1t.

Good for Mannnion, you would want to be topping a million to deal with the unionised shower of clowns "working" for Aer Fungus.

I know I know, I've done it twice in the past, but it's good we have a choice of airlines now don't you think.

Competition, see above.

Well you live up to your name, can't believe an Aer Lingus defender likes competiton, that's why Aer Lingus are where they are today - I was in a bad mood this morning but you've given me a good laugh.

Well you managed to pin havealaugh down which I did not, particularly on the families from abroad question.

Does anyone know for sure that baggage handlers are earning 70K because I'm in the wrong job if that is so. I don't get the point about entry levels only getting 20K, isn't Aer Lingus a closed shop as in, if you're in you're in, you never leave and there is no new hires?

Well you managed to pin havealaugh down which I did not, particularly on the families from abroad question.

Does anyone know for sure that baggage handlers are earning 70K because I'm in the wrong job if that is so. I don't get the point about entry levels only getting 20K, isn't Aer Lingus a closed shop as in, if you're in you're in, you never leave and there is no new hires?

Reasonably sure about the €70K. Mr. Aer Lingus didn't deny it, just tried to deflect it by telling us about the €20K entry level.

Well you live up to your name, can't believe an Aer Lingus defender likes competiton, that's why Aer Lingus are where they are today - I was in a bad mood this morning but you've given me a good laugh
I was merely stating there is competition on the routes you mentioned so stop whining and change airline.

It's not about "pinning" people down rather having an open debate.

particularly on the families from abroad question.
Families from abroad question ?:confused: There is plenty of choice of airlines to get to Ireland from wherever in the world you want to come "home" from. It's not Aer Lingus's obligation or concern to get you and other families "home" for Christmas.

I don't get the point about entry levels only getting 20K, isn't Aer Lingus a closed shop as in, if you're in you're in, you never leave and there is no new hires?
No you are wrong, for example I know for a fact that there are new seasonal workers taken on every year. You must be refering to the Public/Civil Service.

Reasonably sure about the €70K. Mr. Aer Lingus didn't deny it, just tried to deflect it by telling us about the €20K entry level.
Everyone is reasonably sure about everything thats goes on in AL but nobody knows diddly for fact. No deflection, rather just stating the facts. You never answered how long the people you know are working in AL, the ones on 70k, and how many hours are they working for this 70k?.

There are genuine concerns for 1300 workers and their families who pay their taxes in this country and not abroad - this is what the issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was merely stating there is competition on the routes you mentioned so stop whining and change airline.

It's not about "pinning" people down rather having an open debate.

Families from abroad question ?:confused: There is plenty of choice of airlines to get to Ireland from wherever in the world you want to come "home" from. It's not Aer Lingus's obligation or concern to get you and other families "home" for Christmas.

No you are wrong, for example I know for a fact that there are new seasonal workers taken on every year. You must be refering to the Public/Civil Service.

Everyone is reasonably sure about everything thats goes on in AL but nobody knows diddly for fact. No deflection, rather just stating the facts. You never answered how long the people you know are working in AL, the ones on 70k, and how many hours are they working for this 70k?.

There are genuine concerns for 1300 workers and their families who pay their taxes in this country and not abroad - this is what the issue is.

If they are worried about their jobs then they shouldn't be going on strike.

It's not Aer Lingus's obligation or concern to get you and other families "home" for Christmas.

No you are wrong, for example I know for a fact that there are new seasonal workers taken on every year.

You still have not answered the question and I'm rather taken aback at your response about Aer Lingus's obligations to it's customers, I thought it was the 'better, caring ' airline. Actually I naively used to belive that until I say what a difference Ryanair made to people's lives and tourism into Ireland.

For your information I have plenty of choice on my route and normally I take Ryanair (always cheaper, well at least 29 times out of 30 to Aer Lingus) and I have other options and this year I'm actually taking the boat as due to the turmoil in the airline industry during the summer when I booked I decided I couldn't risk a particular route closing down. So whining I am not. But seemingly it's easy for you to say to a family living in the US on their 1st trip back in 5 years who've paid 5K for flights to switch to another airline like it was a matter of picking sweets, please get real.

Seasonal workers doesn't count as normal workers.

I'm not having a go at you by the way, I just think that the unions in Aer Lingus have brought about this situation but I understand the staff think it's the management. The truth is if Dermot Mannion et al don't do this there will be no Aer Lingus, and actually I'd rather we have both Aer Lingus and Ryanair, competition is good, a monopoly is not.

You still have not answered the question and I'm rather taken aback at your response about Aer Lingus's obligations to it's customers, I thought it was the 'better, caring ' airline. Actually I naively used to belive that until I say what a difference Ryanair made to people's lives and tourism into Ireland.

For your information I have plenty of choice on my route and normally I take Ryanair (always cheaper, well at least 29 times out of 30 to Aer Lingus) and I have other options and this year I'm actually taking the boat as due to the turmoil in the airline industry during the summer when I booked I decided I couldn't risk a particular route closing down. So whining I am not. But seemingly it's easy for you to say to a family living in the US on their 1st trip back in 5 years who've paid 5K for flights to switch to another airline like it was a matter of picking sweets, please get real.

I'm not having a go at you by the way, I just think that the unions in Aer Lingus have brought about this situation but I understand the staff think it's the management. The truth is if Dermot Mannion et al don't do this there will be no Aer Lingus, and actually I'd rather we have both Aer Lingus and Ryanair, competition is good, a monopoly is not.

There will be no Aer Lingus in a couple of years anyway. Ryanair will take them over and will certainly not take it up the hole from the Aer Lingus unions when the time comes.

If they are worried about their jobs then they shouldn't be going on strike.

Oh right

But seemingly it's easy for you to say to a family living in the US on their 1st trip back in 5 years who've paid 5K for flights to switch to another airline like it was a matter of picking sweets, please get real.

What, and people who face losing their job should care that one family cannot come "home" for Christmas ?

I simply corrected your post, what's a "normal" worker?-
and there is no new hires?

You still have not answered the question

Question?

There will be no Aer Lingus in a couple of years anyway. Ryanair will take them over and will certainly not take it up the hole from the Aer Lingus unions when the time comes

Your language is bizarre and quite frankly rude, see posting guidline 10.

If the above happens Ryanair might not have a choice, if they have no one to fly their planes.

Oh right

What, and people who face losing their job should care that one family cannot come "home" for Christmas ?

Who is losing their job? Aer Lingus want to outsource jobs. People have a choice, take a new job or take redundancy. Thats a damn sight better than being made redundant with a couple of days notice and getting nothing but statuary redundancy.

The wasters in Aer Lingus that have been freeloading off the taxpayers for years need to get real - the game is up.

Regarding my language

This argument is going nowhere guys, two people with opposing points of view and no chance of changing your minds.
To get back to the point a little, AL staff and management seem to be unaware of the impact that their brinkmanship is having on their core business. Like other posters, I would have been very "brand loyal" and always hit the AL website first for tickets. Not any more, been stung too often with strikes and threats of strikes. I have had to abandon AL tickets several times in the past and re-book with alternatives, and I'm having to do it again now because I can't be sure of AL. I'm sick of it, quite frankly.
I have a couple of trips booked to Germany in December that are important, and I really have no choice but to book other flights and write off about a grands worth of AL tickets. I did this before, but never again.
You see, once a very loyal customer like me tries out the opposition, we find that our loyalty was misguided. The other airlines really are better. Newer planes, more helpful staff, and I'm not abused and screwed for an extra kilo in my briefcase by staff on commission for collecting overweights.
I don't just blame the beards for all the AL debacle; the managers seem to be on another planet, using the strike process to resolve grievances that should never even see the light of public day. Bottom line though is that between them they are running the company into the ground, driving away customers who won't come back unless it suits them.
As for making sacrifices, don't make me laugh! The AL staff are still living in the past, in a dream world where Bertie Ahern will shamble in the door and make sure that nobody loses their job. Have a look outside at the real world, guys. It's raining out there!
I give them a year until their customer base erodes, helped by the impact of the recession on numbers flying, and then thay will be sold and bought cheaply by Ryanair or Lufthansa.
Anyone know if Paddy Power has a book on how long AL will last?

Anyone know if Paddy Power has a book on how long AL will last?
Not at present. If he did he would clean up.

Personally I can't see AL lasting till the new year.

The other airlines really are better. Newer planes, more helpful staff, and I'm not abused and screwed for an extra kilo in my briefcase by staff on commission for collecting overweights.

Don't make me laugh - We are discussing Aer Lingus here NOT Ryanair :D

Don't make me laugh - We are discussing Aer Lingus here NOT Ryanair :D

Aer Lingus planes are shabby, scruffy, and outdated in comparison with Ryanair. Theeir transatlantic fleet (with two exceptions) is ancient and the planes lack features like inflight entertainment to the standard of the other transatlantic carriers. Their flights to many European capitals are grim when compared to alternatives -- Malev flights on the Budapest route for instance are comfortable and are staffed by crews with a real sense of customer service.
With regards to the baggage issue and the charging for every kilo -- since AL staff were put on commission to collect these charges they have become overzealous to the point of extreme rudeness, outperforming Ryanair staff in the obnoxious stakes.
My general point though is this. AL had a loyal customer base. They are eroding this by what seems like an everlasting series of industrial relations crises, to a point where you can't book AL flights with any confidence that they can be relied on. Loyal frequent fliers like me are deserting AL in droves, and we won't be back except for the odd time it suits us. Couple this with the downturn in the economy and lower numbers flying, and the graph is all downhill. I give them a year at most.
The only people who are unable to grasp this, it sems, are the people who work for Aer Lingus. It's very obvious to everybody else.

Last edited:
The only people who are unable to grasp this, it sems, are the people who work for Aer Lingus. It's very obvious to everybody else.

And you know how many? and what a sweeping statement re it being obvious to EVERYONE else !

Back