98FM Wedding Factor Competition

Text from Luas and on-line now.

Now as to what's in it for me on the big day:

Starter: Prawn Cocktail

Main Course: Beef Curry/Fried Rice or Fillet Steak and the rest.
(I don't care that its not the norm)

Dessert: Pavlova with raspberries and cream.

See you there and no I won't wear a hat :D

Thank you so much to everybody who voted today. My company were doing work on their server, so day of days I needed internet access!!!
Anyhow, the polling is limiting one vote per IP address, which means that if you use a Proxy Server (correct me if I get the terminology wrong) then only one person in your company can vote. It's all to play for with the top 2 couples being announced on Monday morning's show.
On Tuesday morning the top 2 couples will be taken live into studio and the winner announced live on air.
There are 2 ways you can vote:
By texting "wedding caitriona" to the number 53981 This carries a cost of 20c per text, and you can vote as often as you like
By clicking onto [broken link removed] and selecting "John and Caitriona" and voting for us. Note, you can only vote once using this method.
Any help you give us is certainly appreciated, it's an incredible prize up for offer. I'm not too sure the exact parameters of the prize as it appears that those on the website isn't the complete package. Thank you so much for your very kind messages of support. It just goes to show that there's a fantastic community on AAM.
Caitriona & John
PS Sorry Sue Ellen I meant to say - Glad to hear you won't wear a hat, we're not very hat people ;) A beef curry main with a side of noodles sounds like the thing to me :p

What a great comeback!

Selection
Votes
Ashling & Gav 28% 537
Mairead & Keith 18% 344
Caitriona & John 28% 543
Teresa & Derek 9% 167
Kim & Macdara 17% 317

1,908 votes total

When does the voting end?

Marion

Re: Wow the €15k doesn't go far does it

kazbah said:
I really didn't think a midweek wedding with tea/coffee instead of wine/punch on arrival for 100 people not including band/dj etc would come to 15K Have they bumped up the value of the prize or is this realistic. As you might tell none of my close friends or family have gotten to the wedding stage yet. So I fear I'm going to be shocked if this is an average cost for a reception.

[broken link removed]

It seem to me that the value of this is being bumped up..big time. The dearest menu is €50. Most hotels add on a 12.5% service charge. The chair covers cost max €10 euro each. So by my estimations that comes to roughly €6.5K. The tea/coffee,flowers/candleabra on tables, accomodation etc is usually part of the hotel package and is "complimentary". It doesn't mention anything about wine with the meal but at 1/2 a bottle per person at say €25, thats another €1,500...a grand total of €8K. Plus its midweek and most hotels will offer a discount for a midweek wedding.

€8K is still a lot of money though

I know Marion, it's brilliant. We're not resting on our laurels though and it's all to play for.
Voting will be paused on Monday morning as far as we're aware. We've heard 2 rumours about the final 2 couples (1) that they will be put to a further public vote until Tuesday and (2) that a jury will be elected to vote the winners.
Thanks so much to everybody who is continuing to vote and give us their support.

Sorry folks the vote has been suspended, please stop texting & I will keep you updated.
Thanks so much for all your support.
Caitriona & John

Strange, I've just voted on this computer (separate IP address) and it accepted the vote. Have used relative's mobiles all afternoon and got receipt/thanks of text messages from 98? :confused:

Hi Sue Ellen
You will automatically get a response once you send any text to that number. We've checked the link to the 98fm website and it appears to be still working.
All I know is we received a phone call to tell us that voting was being suspended for now & we decided to let as many people know as soon as we could as we didn't want to put people to un-necessary expense.
I will give you an update as soon as I can.

mo3art - possibly a silly question, but have you verified that it has been officially suspended and this wasn't someone pulling a fast one on you ?

z

Thanks Zag, obviously the thought had crossed our minds. However the link to the competition page has been terminated & there is now no access to the poll. We were contacted directly by the radio station so we are confident that it is suspended.
I can't give anymore details but I assure you I will post back as soon as I have any further information however it may be tomorrow evening at the earliest and it's more likely to be Monday morning at this stage.
Thanks again to all on AAM for their support and encouragement & once again, no dancing monkeys were harmed in this campaign!

Re: 98FM Wedding Factor Competition - Updated

First off I would like to thank everybody for their unbelievable support over Friday and the weekend and the incredible amount of votes that came in for myself & John have really touched us. We really appreciate all the messages we have received since Friday and the text and online voting you did for us since the polls opened.

Unfortunately on Saturday the radio station decided to stop both the online and the text vote due to possible irregularities in the voting process and they have now decided to carry out a draw tomorrow morning with all the couples' names in a hat to decide a winner. Obviously, we want the most fair and equitable outcome for everyone involved, however we are very upset with this turn of events. It's a very disappointing decision for us as on Saturday afternoon before the polls were suspended we had a significant majority of the vote.

We understand that many of you went to an awful lot of time, effort and cost to vote for us and we appreciate your efforts. The decision on the winner is completely out of our hands and tomorrow morning we will be going into studio where a winner will be pulled. We're not beaten yet though, and still in the running with as much of a chance as every other couple in the competition.

Thanks again

Re: 98FM Wedding Factor Competition - Updated

mo3art said:
Unfortunately on Saturday the radio station decided to stop both the online and the text vote due to possible irregularities in the voting process and they have now decided to carry out a draw tomorrow morning with all the couples' names in a hat to decide a winner.

Sounds more fair to be honest. At 20 cents a vote it's cheap enough to vote for yourself in a competition like this where 100 votes will be enough. Possible also that the radio station felt that soliciting votes on a forum such as this was bad form?

well best of luck too ya tomorrow and will keep fingers crossed and as a newly married person it's feckin great life........damn it what do ya mean tomorrow is valentines........and our month anniversay??? gotta g but best of luck to ya

Last edited:
No, we checked that we were free to carry out any publicity and campaigning for votes, including forums. We knew we had to be clear on that before we posted on forums about the competition.
Fingers crossed there will still be a positive outcome for us tomorrow morning.

Back