07 reg on what seems to be an old car

This is a strange one.

I seem to remember that, when I was working in Slough around 99/00, a car supermarket there had several of these previous model E-classes registered as new but they were several years old, the model running out in 1995 I think. The reason was that they were destined for Far East markets on taxi fleets but the order was cancelled.

They were base model E200 autos in solid colours with a/c and the MB Lex fake leather - white, blue, red etc. They were snapped up as they were great value.

SSE

You will probably find it is was previously registered as Q reg in the uk because is was crashed or stolen and the idenity removed. It is then registered in this country on the date it was Q registered in the UK

You will probably find it is was previously registered as Q reg in the uk because is was crashed or stolen and the idenity removed. It is then registered in this country on the date it was Q registered in the UK
So in this case the DVLA will issue a new V05C with a "Date First Registered" of 2007 on a Q plate for the new identity? Won't the V05C show any previous index marks as well?

Graham, lots of suspense...are you any closer to solving the mystery?

Didnt get the full reg last time I saw it only the 07-county - & some of the digits, need another look before I can check it on that website. And of course it's in your face for a week then you don't see it for days. As soon as I do I'll post what I find out.

I've just read through this whole thread ....great fun....Isn't it amazing how a simple thing such as this, which will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on our lives can get us all going?!?

And can you picture the poor innocent owner of this car being chased down the road by 100 AAM posters who want to ask him what's the story ?!? I

'm dying to find out the answer ..... stalk that car, Graham, and put us all out of our misery!!!!:D

Any more news on this? I don't think the 'Q'-plate equivalent mentioned earlier is a likely solution. Isn't the MB engine supposed to be rather excellent, especially in the model series described in a previous post?

Haven't sen it since would you believe so no way of finding out. It does, periodically, keep me awake nights wondering.;)

Another possibility is that it is an import from South Africa. I remember being out there 10 years ago and several of my collegues were driving Mk I VW Golfs which were freshly manufactured even though the original model went out of production a decade previously or there abouts.

The same thing with Beemers if I remember right, so why not Mercs?

Wheel is on the same side in the RSA so that wouldn't be a giveaway.

Just a suggestion.

jasus i just came across this thread the previous poster is bang on. car has been imported from south africa. a lot of cars over there are brand new old model cars that we had years ago. a mate of mine rented a brand new MK2 golf over there last year interiors are only part that get updated i bet that merc has the interior of a much newer model

Looks like they're running our old models alongside new models in SouthAfrica VW.

Check out the Citi model here:
[broken link removed]

It could be a northern car with personalised plates. Maybe someone in the North, for the craic, decided to put peronal plates on their car 07-D-XXX so that they would not draw attention from the Customs as they drive around in the south. I'm fairly sure that this is possible.

It could be a northern car with personalised plates. Maybe someone in the North, for the craic, decided to put peronal plates on their car 07-D-XXX so that they would not draw attention from the Customs as they drive around in the south. I'm fairly sure that this is possible.

eh? NI plates are [three letters always including I or Z][1-4 digits]. They'd have to register the car in Ireland so it'd surely be 04-X-999 or whatever? You can't just pick the year you feel like (the UK and Ireland are the only two EU countries with an age-related plate system, NI does have one too apparently but it's so complicated the plates are freely transferable). There aren't any personal plates in Ireland.

I think the other fella cracked it - it's probably a Saffer that's been imported unregistered. Must have been standing around for a while though, they haven't made them for ages. I love the old Golfs on the SA VW website!

SSE

Back