07 reg on what seems to be an old car

I'd say that's the most likely one alright.

As others have said, any import gets the year of 1st registration, not the year of import.

The idea of somone just not registering a car like this for years isn't too plausable, nor any notion of complete rebuilds etc.

Just to clarify. This is a MB E200 which model style ended in 1995 ( checked on carzone ) The plate is clearly 07-x-xxxxx . It's not 87 or 97 with or without a screw missing. I guess I'll just have to try & corner the owner & ask them?

... I guess I'll just have to try & corner the owner & ask them?
What if they really are stupid would-be bank robbers as somebody suggested above? They mightn't take too kindly to being quizzed about their get-away car!

What if they really are stupid would-be bank robbers as somebody suggested above? They mightn't take too kindly to being quizzed about their get-away car!

Ok a sly look at the tax/nct/insce disks then in the car park maybe and if theres a balaclava anywhere to be seen I'm off. !:eek:

In another sense it could be one of these dubious car seller, a friend of mine bought a car sometimes ago and what happened was that the year on the reg was different to the age and year of the car. For example the Reg was 2002 and the car was actually a 1996 car. She had to discard the car before being caught with it.

I've seen an 07 reg BMW 3 Series only a few weeks ago but it was 2 models older than the current one and I also wondered how there was an 07 plate on it.

Whats really strange is the car itself actually looks new. I mean its a minter. If this was 1994 & I saw it in a showroom it would look brand new. Anyways, will let ye's know if I get to the bottom of it.

Did you look up www.motorcheck.ie - I know it was mentioned on this thread already. But you don't have to pay money to get basic information, i.e. if you enter in the reg # it should tell you that the car is a white Mercedes E200. If that information doesn't match what you know, then there's definitely something funny going on!

Did you look up www.motorcheck.ie - I know it was mentioned on this thread already. But you don't have to pay money to get basic information, i.e. if you enter in the reg # it should tell you that the car is a white Mercedes E200. If that information doesn't match what you know, then there's definitely something funny going on!

Will defo do that, if it says the number belongs to a black BMW X5 with tinted windows I better keep low for a while :eek:

It wasn't on trade plates by any chance (these tend to be - or have to be - in green)?

It wasn't on trade plates by any chance (these tend to be - or have to be - in green)?

Sorry, Ang, no, its a regular black letter on white background, EU circle on the left in blue as normal, numbers designated as "year-county-number" and county as Gaeilge over the number , just like ordinary cars.

Wonder if it came in through UK and was registered in its later years there.

Wonder if it came in through UK and was registered in its later years there.

You mean import to UK, reg'd in UK then travel to here & reg'd again. I don't know, possibly. however a right hand Mercedes makes me think that it had, from day one been used in a RHD market such as UK or other.

I have been given one possible solution today which may partly tie in with your post. Apparently some armed forces vehicles used only on bases are not registered. If this was one such vehicle, used say on a british forces base, then registered in 2007 in say the UK on being disposed of by the forces, then that vehicle brought to Ireland and registered here, it's first date of registration would be 2007 and it would, on coming to Ireland, get a 2007 reg here. Seems a long winded thing but a another possible. ONly thing getting me is the colour, white. Not exactly a forces type colour, unless it was used in the arctic !!!

Back