07 reg on what seems to be an old car

Graham_07

HAve seen a car lately a few times locally. It's badged 07-county-number just like any other 07 car. But the car itself is a RHD Mercedes Benz E200 of a style which was in vogue in around 1993-1995 (like this one ) . The type with the one light set at front not the two light set as in models from about 1996 onwards. It's in immaculate condition but the style and year just dont add up to me. Does anyone know is there some reason why one could have an old model like this with an 07 plate on. It's just got me curious. It's hardly that MB Ireland had one hidden away in a store somewhere unregistered...or is it ?

Imported and then registered perhaps?

I may be wrong but I was of the understanding that an imported car carries the year of first registration in it's original country. Otherwise I could have a very cheap 1990 Lexus import badged 08 on my drive. I know a number of people who imported cars and they're all badged whatever year they originally were on the road.

HAve seen a car lately a few times locally. It's badged 07-county-number just like any other 07 car. But the car itself is a RHD Mercedes Benz E200 of a style which was in vogue in around 1993-1995 (like this one ) . The type with the one light set at front not the two light set as in models from about 1996 onwards. It's in immaculate condition but the style and year just dont add up to me. Does anyone know is there some reason why one could have an old model like this with an 07 plate on.

Not so smart impending bank robbers using an inappropriate false number plate?

Maybe its a replica. Apparantly there are hobbyists out there who like to make replicas of expensive or classic cars. They buy a cheap modern car and replace the body work. Usually done to mimic cars like Ferraris, Lamborghis, Bentleys etc., but possibly a Merc?

Not so smart impending bank robbers not using an appropriate false number plate?

Had crossed my mind initially to be honest ! BUt it's been around for a few weeks so hopefully not.

Maybe its a replica. Apparantly there are hobbyists out there who like to make replicas of expensive or classic cars. They buy a cheap modern car and replace the body work. Usually done with things like Ferraris, Lamborghis, Bentleys etc., but possibly a Merc?

The car is in mint condition ( although only seen in traffic as was driving/walking too so no close up of interior ) It's like the white taxi's in the canaries, beautifully done up and the number plates do look newly made. It's intriguing, must try get a closer look .

www.motorcheck.ie To satisfy your curiosity maybe run a history check on it if you can get the plate numbers. I think modifications,first register,year of manufacture etc are on the report. will cost you a few euro though ;)

Here's another scenario, that may have happened. Car was in a crash and required new front and back bumbers and licence plates. Garage that did the repair ordered the wrong plates and put them on and the driver hasn't noticed.
This happened to me when I was rear-ended and pushed into the car infornt of me. Collected the car after extensive repairs, looked at the plates, and thought "They're nice and shiny!". The next day the wife looked at the car and said "I didn't know we had a Cork reg car?" The plates were correct, except for the county.
In fairness, when was the last time you looked and checked your registration plate was OK?

Graham, you are right if a car is imported it get's a plate on the year of first reg in the orignal country.

It could have got a new number plates but I have seen where a garage has kept a car in stock for a few years and not registered it at all, then what happens is the car gets sold and comes with a "newer" reg that should be on it actually on it.

I have seen where a garage has kept a car in stock for a few years and not registered it at all, then what happens is the car gets sold and comes with a "newer" reg that should be on it actually on it.

True, but this model went out of manufacture in around 1995 ! Long time to hold a car in stock methinks.

Here's another scenario, that may have happened. Car was in a crash and required new front and back bumbers and licence plates. Garage that did the repair ordered the wrong plates and put them on and the driver hasn't noticed.
This happened to me when I was rear-ended and pushed into the car infornt of me. Collected the car after extensive repairs, looked at the plates, and thought "They're nice and shiny!". The next day the wife looked at the car and said "I didn't know we had a Cork reg car?" The plates were correct, except for the county.
In fairness, when was the last time you looked and checked your registration plate was OK?

Interesting, about the error on the plate, that could be it. A relative once had a WW reg car. When he had plates changed after a bash the garage had the original county of registration correctly in Irish "Cill Mhantaín" but put the local county letter in the reg itself. The owner didn't realise until I showed it to him.

A long shot, but what would it take for a car to have a new identity?

What if everything internal that identifies it as a 93-95 car has been in some way altered/replaced?

For example, could so many aspects of the car have been replaced, reworked etc that only the 'shell' is original? Arguably, it could be regarded as a 'new' car then...?

I dunno...

I may be wrong but I was of the understanding that an imported car carries the year of first registration in it's original country. Otherwise I could have a very cheap 1990 Lexus import badged 08 on my drive. I know a number of people who imported cars and they're all badged whatever year they originally were on the road.

Graham, you are right if a car is imported it get's a plate on the year of first reg in the orignal country.

It could have got a new number plates but I have seen where a garage has kept a car in stock for a few years and not registered it at all, then what happens is the car gets sold and comes with a "newer" reg that should be on it actually on it.

You are both correct. A car which is imported and was registered in another jurisdiction must have the correct age-related plate displayed.

A car which has never been registered in any country would have to be given a plate reflecting it's date of first registration, ie, '07 in this case. It is entirely conceivable that an older car might either be bought by a collector and not registered or used on the road or just not sold by a garage (less likely - they have to make their profit)

A vehicle can only be given a new registration plate with a different age, e.g. a '98 instead of a '92, if a major component is changed, either the engine or chassis, can't remember which. This is the way it works for motorbikes, so it would be the same for cars.

Last edited:
In N.Ireland, when a car was imported, it would just get the next number in the sequence - even though the plates there aren't age-related it would be widely known roughly the age of the car by the number and there are plenty of older cars running around there with obviously younger reg.numbers. I think that would also have been the case in RoI up till 1987 and the introduction of the age-related plate here.

I have heard that stocks of old-model cars can take several years to clear - for example, I have seen old model Octavias running round with plates on them well after the introduction of the new one. I also read once that in the UK three years after the Ford Sierra was launched, more than 50 'brand new' Cortinas were registered.

How could it be though that such an old model Merc has such a new plate on it? It's hardly so glamourous that it would be reproduced.

I suppose it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that it has been sitting new and unregistered in an MB dealership since 1995 until some point in 2007? That's what I call a 'barn-find'!!

A vehicle can only be given a new registration plate with a different age, e.g. a '98 instead of a '92, if a major component is changed, either the engine or chassis, can't remember which. This is the way it works for motorbikes, so it would be the same for cars.

That's what I was getting at - TBH, it's sounds like the most likely explanation to me.

Back