Wrong spell of the surname, fixed charge offence

Kalbasha

Hi guys!

There is a wrong spell of the surname on the fixed charge offence for riding the bike without lights. I came here for a short term and didn't know that I must have them. And also I observed thousands of bikes in Dublin without them and nobody of my Irish friends have every seen anybody punished for this.
Can the moment of the wrong spell save me from the bad consequences?
Would I have any serious problems if I don't pay it?

I already left home to another country. But there is a chance that I will have to go back to Ireland.
Thanks in advance!

And buy yourself some lights and a hi-viz jacket. Cyclists dont realise that they can be near-invisible to motorists

Al cyclist should have helmets with lots of coloured LED lights similar to the Alien spaceship in Close Encounters and built in 360 degree cameras and GPS trackers ;)

Also, clearly displayed TAX, Insurance and NCT (checked every year to make sure they are roadworthy and have brakes) :D

Al cyclist should have helmets with lots of coloured LED lights similar to the Alien spaceship in Close Encounters and built in 360 degree cameras and GPS trackers ;)

Also, clearly displayed TAX, Insurance and NCT (checked every year to make sure they are roadworthy and have brakes) :D
+

There are more incidents involving cars hitting animals every year. All animals should also wear high-viz and lighting while on the roads!

+

There are more incidents involving cars hitting animals every year. All animals should also wear high-viz and lighting while on the roads!
Animal owners are fully liable if their pet or livestock stray onto a road and cause an accident.

I meant in terms of liability if they cause an accident.
So do I. A car hits a pedestrian who is standing on a roadside. The pedestrian is not automatically counted as having caused or contributed to the accident by their mere presence there. A straying animal will be.

So do I. A car hits a pedestrian who is standing on a roadside. The pedestrian is not automatically counted as having caused or contributed to the accident by their mere presence there. A straying animal will be.

Ah yeah, true. So in the context of the original posting, perhaps they should wear high viz while in the fields as well just in case they find themselves straying out onto the roads. :D

:D
I know you're extracting the urine, but that's not a million miles off my approach when cycling along narrow country roads at night. I consider people cycling at night without lights as Darwin candidates waiting for some unfortunate driver to take them out.

Hi guys!

There is a wrong spell of the surname on the fixed charge offence for riding the bike without lights. I came here for a short term and didn't know that I must have them. And also I observed thousands of bikes in Dublin without them and nobody of my Irish friends have every seen anybody punished for this.
Can the moment of the wrong spell save me from the bad consequences?
Would I have any serious problems if I don't pay it?

I already left home to another country. But there is a chance that I will have to go back to Ireland.
Thanks in advance!

I think its clear from this that the posters do not know the answer to your question. Neither do I, sorry.

I think its clear from this that the posters do not know the answer to your question. Neither do I, sorry.

So I guess being a little more serious. The OP is probably best advised to pay the fine. It's only €40, while it's unlikely they will do much to chase someone now living overseas, failure to pay will remain on record and may cause more expensive problems if they choose to return.

To the OP, failure to familiarise your local road traffic legislation is no defence. About 7-800 fixed penalties are handed out to cyclists each year, >25% of these for failing to have front and rear lights during lighting-up hours. Even if many people are doing it, it should be clear to all reasonable people that cycling at night without lights is not a good idea.

If you don't pay the fine, it could go to court. At court the surname issue will be brought up by you and amended on the spot. The end result will be the same. Pay the fine and then forget about it. It's really a small amount of money for peace of mind.

Back