Wrong spell of the surname, fixed charge offence

So do I. A car hits a pedestrian who is standing on a roadside. The pedestrian is not automatically counted as having caused or contributed to the accident by their mere presence there. A straying animal will be.

Cannot find the link, but this happened roughly 15 years ago. A loose horse on the road jumped onto a car being driven along at an average speed causing considerable damage. A court case ensued and the horse owner was cleared of responsibility when it was proven that the animal (Mare) was in heat. I am being serious

Cannot find the link, but this happened roughly 15 years ago. A loose horse on the road jumped onto a car being driven along at an average speed causing considerable damage. A court case ensued and the horse owner was cleared of responsibility when it was proven that the animal (Mare) was in heat. I am being serious
Yes, there are some exceptions, notably for deer on the basis apparently that they're impossible to fence in with certainty.

Thank you for your answers.
It was in Dublin in the center. There are plenty of lights and roads are not narrow.

In the end I just paid it online because I didn't find anything appropriate and the date of the payment was coming.

But in general it's weird, because in Dublin so many people are riding like this, so when I came to Ireland I didn't even know that it was a rule. Nobody ever mentioned that it's necessary to buy lights, even when I was passing by Garda dozens of times :)
In my country bikes on the road is not something usual, that's why it wasn't clear for me. And in the end to be the only one who was punished felt like I was ripped off ;D Quite selective way of the punishment and not effective at all.

And in the end to be the only one who was punished felt like I was ripped off ;D Quite selective way of the punishment and not effective at all.

That unfortunately is how most of us feel about road traffic law enforcement in general. Most people get away with it more of the time, so the result is anyone who actually is caught or fined feels hard done by.

One night last week there was a big Garda checkpoint outside my house, 4 bikes, 3 cars and at least 10 garda were there
I'm gald to say not one of the 40+ cars had any issues during the half hour the check point while I was watching
but I saw at least 4 bicycles go through the checkpoint with no lights and the Garda did nothing :rolleyes:

Thank you for your answers.
It was in Dublin in the center. There are plenty of lights and roads are not narrow.

Move out a km or 2 along the canal, for example the stretch between Harold's Cross bridge and the Crumlin Rd. Its a wet, dark winters evening and the traffic is moving slowly, but the cyclists are moving faster in the cycle lane. And then you have some idiot without a light. The motorists can't see them in their mirror, so if the motorist is turning left over one of the bridges, then the cyclist gets mangled.

+

There are more incidents involving cars hitting animals every year. All animals should also wear high-viz and lighting while on the roads!

I dont know about you, but I would much rather hit/kill an animal on the road than hit/kill a cyclist.

Back