Would I qualify for the fuel allowance by living in a granny flat?

Max Weber

I already get the living alone allowance because i am living in a granny flat connected to my parents house.

I am just wondering could i get the fuel allowance as well because of this?

i cannot find anything online about it.

Sorry what i meant is that i cannot find anything online about living in a granny flat and getting fuel allowance. That is what i am wondering. My heating as well is separate from the my parents main house.

This is an interesting one alright. If you are already in receipt of living alone allowance, then it would seem you meet that criteria.
You also need to be in receipt of a qualifying payment eg Disability Allowance. You could try applying online if that is an option.
I see that theres some additional paymebt (telephone) of 2.50 per week if you are in receipt of certain payments.

Have you appliee for household benefits as you may be eligible for that also.

This is an interesting one alright. If you are already in receipt of living alone allowance, then it would seem you meet that criteria.
You also need to be in receipt of a qualifying payment eg Disability Allowance. You could try applying online if that is an option.
I see that theres some additional paymebt (telephone) of 2.50 per week if you are in receipt of certain payments.

Have you appliee for household benefits as you may be eligible for that also.
Yes i am on disability allowance as well.

I will email disability allowance and see what they say.

I already get the living alone allowance because i am living in a granny flat connected to my parents house.

I am just wondering could i get the fuel allowance as well because of this?

i cannot find anything online about it.

As a matter of interest are you paying LPT on the granny flat? If so - and you probably should be - then it can definitely be claimed to be a separate residence.

As a matter of interest are you paying LPT on the granny flat? If so - and you probably should be - then it can definitely be claimed to be a separate residence.

Would LPT not be covered under the main house payment? The valuation of that house would probably include that the granny flat is there.

Would LPT not be covered under the main house payment? The valuation of that house would probably include that the granny flat is there.

See posts #6 and 10!

See posts #6 and 10!

Thank you. Seems v confusing as you cant sell the granny flat by itself, and how could you separate out the value to separate out LPT?
I dont have this setup myself, but is somethimg I might consider for my son (whose in receipt of disability) when he is older, so that he has independence but also family support. Had never even thought of how LPT would work.

@Max Weber , could you update post when you hear back about fuel allowance please? My son could potentially be in similar situation in few years down the road.

I would be concermed about losing the incapacitated child tax credit wirh this setup, but it may still be covered. I think these granny flat situations will become much more prevalent for younger people over the years. Thank you.

Thank you. Seems v confusing as you cant sell the granny flat by itself, and how could you separate out the value to separate out LPT?

It is confusing! Arguably, some so-called granny flats are capable of being sold off separately to the main property, irrespective of what their owner may decide! And the more "independent" a granny flat is, the more likely it is to be regarded as a separate property for LPT purposes, I would imagine. Hence, having its own separate entrance, eircode, and electricity, gas and water meters probably makes it more liable to be regarded as a separate property.

That said, as you wrote above, so long as the owner has included it in their LPT property valuation then - arguably - it should be considered as an integral part of the property.

(Much the same debate could take place over the many stand-alone cabins/shomeras/or what have you that have popped up in the back gardens of houses in recent years, for adult kids - or grannies - to live in!)

I dont have this setup myself, but is somethimg I might consider for my son (whose in receipt of disability) when he is older, so that he has independence but also family support. Had never even thought of how LPT would work.

@Max Weber , could you update post when you hear back about fuel allowance please? My son could potentially be in similar situation in few years down the road.

I would be concermed about losing the incapacitated child tax credit wirh this setup, but it may still be covered. I think these granny flat situations will become much more prevalent for younger people over the years. Thank you.

They are after sending me the form to fill up for the fuel allowance so i guess that means i can avail of it.

They are after sending me the form to fill up for the fuel allowance so i guess that means i can avail of it.
Not necessarily. You have to apply before they can tell if you qualify. I don't understand why you didn't simply do it online via myWelfare as I suggested earlier. It would be much more convenient and quicker.

Not necessarily. You have to apply before they can tell if you qualify. I don't understand why you didn't simply do it online via myWelfare as I suggested earlier. It would be much more convenient and quicker.

I have to say mywelfare was very convenient when i applied for household benefits for my son, and only the relevant questions were shown. Would definitely recommmend that route unless you need to send in some supporting documents.

Back