How are attached Granny Flats being assessed for the LPT?

L

ladybird

I see in the Household Charge there is provision for them but there is none in the new LPT?

Is this an oversight? Or will a person with a flat (separate meters, separate entrance) worth €20,000 on an €80,000 house have to pay double the LPT?

ie both are in the <€100,000 category so you pay double. Even if the flat is not let out.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated,

Ladybird

Included in the overall value as I understand it, if it can't be sold separately then it is a part of the house for valuation purposes.

You're a star Wbbs!

Thanks for the prompt reply - would you think me very cheeky to ask is there a link to or section of the act i could read to confirm this? (just to totally use you you understand :D)

Ladybird

I'm no expert! Just happened to be at a session given by Revenue staff on the topic and this question was asked. To be honest they were kind of hazy on quite a few questions.

This doesn't surprise me. I tried finding a contact email for the LPT section of revenue - there is no section. Said it's still under household charge.

I contacted the household charge website email and they said it's nothing to do with us. Contact revenue.

I read the leaflet they are sending in March and this issue isn't addressed at all as far as i can see - yet special provision was made in the HC so it's not like it's a new issue.

I am currently reading through the act (dear god!!!) to try and get a legal answer as someone is making a financial decision based on the answer and so it is important.

Thanks for replying,

Ladybird

Ok, to answer my own question, it looks like the relevant section is on page 10 of the act where it says roughly that the property must be able to be sold at a market value - and as the Granny Flat is not worth anything by itself and cannot be sold by itself, it has no market value and is therefore exempt.

If anyone knows anything to the contrary please do post and tell me!

Thanks,

Ladybird

It would be exempt as a separate dwelling but must be included in the overall value of the house, again from my understanding of how the question was answered by Revenue officials.

Yes the Revenue official specifically said it would be exempt as an individual dwelling but included in overall value as it cannot be sold separately.

However I did not hear any clarification on combined flats under the one roof /halldoor. These were individually charged under the household charge and nppr. Would like to see what happens with them now? Will they just be included in the overall house value. Any thoughts or did anyone see relevant literature.

Revenue on Pat Kenny 7th March

I was just telephoned about a lady from revenue (Frehilly?) who was on Pat Kenny radio show just now.

She apparently stated if it's a granny flat then it's two separate charges. I do not have the exact wording. Someone else will have to clarify.

I was just telephoned about a lady from revenue (Frehilly?) who was on Pat Kenny radio show just now.

She apparently stated if it's a granny flat then it's two separate charges. I do not have the exact wording. Someone else will have to clarify.

That was Josephine Feehily, the chairman of the Revenue Commissioners (and yes she does go by the title of chairman!).

I didn't hear the bit about granny flats though.

(and yes she does go by the title of chairman!).

Indeed, to her credit. "Chairperson" is an abomination.

Btw, the Ombudsman and and the separate Ombudsman for Children are both female and neither see any need to emasculate their job titles.

She said that if it could be sold separately from the main house, then it counts as a taxable property. That might simply be a matter of having a separate entrance.

Does it make any real difference? The total value of the property/properties will be the same.

It has also emerged that granny flats, home offices and vacant homes may be liable for the tax. Sheds attached to a property will come into the reckoning for the tax, except farm and commercial buildings, the institute said

My reading of that is that of course you add the granny flat/office into the overall property for valuation purposes. As in you don't ignore it or treat it as a separate property when it is not. I think if it's one legal title that how it should be how it's treated, but you value all of it for the calculation not bits of it.

I was listening to the Pat Kenny interview with Josephine Feehily and although I cannot quote her verbatim it was clear to me that what she was saying was that Granny Flats would be considered a separate entity. I think that revenue will certainly take a hard look at Granny Flats that have a separate ESB meter and any of those that had either a liability to NPPR or Household Charge are going to definitely get mugged separately for the LPT. That was what I understood from that section of the interview

Last edited:
I agree if they paid the HC separately they will be assessed for property tax.

Well they would want to get their stories straight, two Revenue officials clearly said at an information session I was at that granny flats were not taxed separately if they could not be sold separately and I would imagine very few can, and were just included in the overall value of the property.

Were granny flats considered separate households under the household charge?

Boy this thread took off while i was gone! :D

Time, your question just alerted me to a HUGE error i made in my research. I said in my OP that GFs were dealt with in the household charge and when i went to link it in to answer your question i realised that i got my info from the NPPR site - ie tax on second homes and they had an exemption for granny flats with a relative living in them within 2km of main residence.

I am doing calculations for a friend. And after listening to Pat Kenny just now it does sound as if tax chief is wrong -if the garage is attached to the main house.

- How could a garage containing a granny flat be sold separately? Or be considered a second property as the with the new property tax you have to give an evaluation of your house with GF/garage included - so that means you are paying twice? Especially if you are in the below 100,000 bracket.

An example - small urban 2 bed house with granny flat on back - sale price 99,000. Houses in area usually go for 80,000 so flat worth 20,000 on top.

Buyer buys it at 99,000 - than pays LPT of <100,000 on house
AND
LPT of <100,000 on flat.

Irony could be seller is downsizing to save on bills etc and their old house was 149,000!

Am i nuts? (be kind - it's late!)

Were granny flats considered separate households under the household charge?

Yes, I have the exact scenario and paid NPPR and household charge for both. It's also the same for a house I have divided into 2 flats. One front door and then one flat downstairs and another upstairs with their own entrance. Water not divided, ESB is, Gas is not.

I cannot sell the granny flat. It's just an ordinary 3 bed semi that had a garage attached. Same as every other house in the estate. Garage turned into flat (and no planning of course ! About 3/4 of the estate is like this). At the back of the house it has it's own door. To me you couldn't sell the granny flat as a separate property. There is one supply of water but ESB is separate.

For the NPPR and household charge, it was my understanding that the charge applied per unit, not per property.

I was over the moon when the new property tax came it as I understood it to be per property and not per unit.

Back