Worthwhile making a complaint to CRU, how successful have people been?

Up Rovers

Considering making a complaint with CRU (Utilities Regulator) due to dreadful customer service with Bord Gais which has been ongoing since August? Reading this post would lead one to believe that we are not the only ones suffering at the moment. We have been with them many times over the years with no problems but it is farcical at the moment. Understand they are under ferocious pressure but even when they have been given opportunity to correct their many mistakes with us they have not done so.

Just wondering if people have been successful with getting matters resolved after referring complaint to CRU or is it worth the bother? Listening to Regulator on Prime Time some time back led one to believe that their powers are restricted a lot. Sounded as if they are not very powerful.

Last edited:
You have to first make a complaint to Bord Gais under their internal disputes resolution procedure. Make it clear that you are using this procedure. It's only if your complaint is not then resolved to your satisfaction that you can approach the CRU.

Last edited:
Don't rush going to the regulator, once you have fired that shot you are out of ammunition.

Does Bord Gais operate under a licence, what are the terms of that licence. Can you base your complaint in these terms.

I would be very interested to know as I have similar issues with telecom providers.

In my experience making complaints to banks, there is great leverage in the internal complaints procedure, and the threat of going to the regulator. The will make considerable efforts to stop a complaint going to the regulator, however once the complaint does go to the regulator they have nothing to loose by defending themselves vigorously, and not much to gain by fixing your issue.

Thanks for replies. Am aware of using their internal complaints system but am just wondering if its worth the bother. Would prefer not to go into specifics here but to-date their customer service has been dreadful with very little in the line of apology despite taking it to quite a high level. In light of this I'm wondering if its worth the bother going to the CRU if their powers are limited.

If you go ahead and contact CRU about your complaint they will tell you that you must first make a formal complaint to Bord Gais using their internal complaints procedure and allow them an opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. If they fail to do this then you can complain to CRU.
I recently had an issue with Electric Ireland regarding billing and when I made an official complaint to them, a rep phoned me and we were able to resolve the problem. When I initially made the complaint I stated that I would contact CRU if the issue was not dealt with to my satisfaction and luckily I didn't need to go any further.

Back