Working part time with the dole

Re: RE:

Tom,
Your not claiming from "Those feckers in Goverment" but from all tax payers in the country.

Johno

Begrudgers of the world unite and take over !

As 0 says above, its only your entitlement.

If idiots like you are prepared to go out there and work your This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language off to pay taxes, then I know that I'm perfectly happy to sit back, watch some telly, and take your money off you.

And, here's the beauty, I don't even have to go down now once a week to sign on, they'll just put it straight into my bank account.

Nice !!!!!

Good man Tom. And here's a better one for you. You can buy a pair of nylon stockings for a couple of Euro, get a school bag with a length of copper pipe in it, to look like a sawn-off, pay a visit to your local Post Office or Bank and get thousands. Sure isn't all that money insured? And anyway, banks make huge profits, so you're only taking back some of them.

Right up your street.

Re: Begrudgers of the world unite and take over !

I don't agree with Tom's attitude as facetiously (?) expressed above but claiming welfare benefits to which one is legitimately entitled (as opposed to "dole fraud" or whatever), regardless of one's motivation or attitude, is in no way comparable to armed robbery!

You know that if you just ignore the trolls (OTT provocative posts), they will just go away and find someone else to annoy on other bulletin boards.

Tom,

I take exception to being called an idiot especially by someone with your attitude.

Johno

You know that if you just ignore the trolls (OTT provocative posts), they will just go away and find someone else to annoy on other bulletin boards.

Not sure who you're referring to but I was responding to Lucretia1 who is a registered user and past contributor.

Hey 0, Hey 0 (it's off to work I go),

Tom said
If idiots like you are prepared to go out there and work your This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language off to pay taxes, then I know that I'm perfectly happy to sit back, watch some telly, and take your money off you.

I fully agree with availing of your entitlements, but neither UB nor UA entitles you to sit back and watch some telly. Both are intended as temporary arrangements to assist you while seeking other employment. Anyone who chooses to sit back and watch telly "and take [our] money off [us]" is engaging in Social Welfare fraud, which is effectively stealing off other tax & PRSI-paying members of society and in my book is comparable to other forms of stealing.

Looking for a new job is not a 9-5 task in my experience. There are lots of opportunities to watch telly when waiting for interviews, callbacks etc. Personally I prefer to go to the library. ;)

Library

And the beauty of the library is that those working fools end up paying for that too.

Thanks lads, keep up the good work, and keep the cash flowing !

Cm you are soooo outta touch

In reply to CM's comments about me working full time, to be really honest working full time would be an easier life than looking after a child, as they are hard work, very hard. Unfortunately 1. I do not have any family members to look after my son
2. I have worked for years before I had my son, because of the system that we live in if I were to get a full time job and bung my kid in a creche, probably about 90% of my wages would go on the creche, also I would lose my medical card, so I would be worse off and it would be my son that suffers, so I am trying my best to get back into the work force as I want to work, yes I actually want to work, but yet I want my son not to suffer by my working. I could easily annoy you all the more and say I wanna sponge off the state and sit at home all day, but y'know what I don't want to do that, I actually want to work, and yes part time.

Working part time through choice

Witchymand,

I too want to work part time, keep my medical card, etc,and not have to bung my child into a creche, but reality for many people is different.

And would you believe that some people who work full time actually have to look after their children in the evenings and at weekends too.

If people choose to work part time, that is their choice and they should not be given unemployment benefit.
The system may be unfair and does not particularly suit anyone, but we all have to live by it, not just some of us.

If people choose to work part time, that is their choice and they should not be given unemployment benefit.

Hear ! Hear !

Fair play to you FTWM.

Loss of social welfare benefits being the reason not to go back to work ?

As I've often said before (and this is from someone who has experienced unemployment) social welfare is FAR too generous in this country, and particuarly now when we have a labour shortage.

working part time

In reply to the lady that works full time. I don't think my whole point of my first post it has been understood at all. I have looked into working full time, but if I was to work full time, I would be more than likely homeless, I worked full time 2 years ago, and nearly ended up starving, I then asked my job would they change my job to part time but they wouldn't, so I went on U/B for a few months and have since been on U/A which I struggle with but at least I am not starving. I will now tell you exactly how much I got 2 years ago, I got in Euros 889 per month. Now my rent at the moment is 140 euro per week, which is 560 euro per month, I spend approx 80 euro a week on food for me and nappies etc, which works out at 320 a month, so the total to that is 880 euro which leaves me with a grand total of 9 euro to put my child in a creche, I would gratefully appreciate your realism on what creche is available for 9 euro per week in Dublin and I will join you and work full time,

Working full time

Witchmand,
it was your second post that I was replying to where you stated you "wanted" to work part time that annoyed me, not the first. Also, your comment that working full time is easier than looking after a child. Working full time, many women have the stress of a full time job along with the stress of the child at evenings and weekends, and during the day whilst at work you are still fretting over the child, and watching the clock to make sure you do not get a fine picking the child up, so it is certainly not any easier working than being at home and it is unfair when women who do not work make these kind of comments.

Financially, my wages cover the creche €800 and the mortgage €600 and car repayments €144 and leaves me with €450 which is not a lot, although I appreciate it is better than your situation. but it is still tough going and difficult just to make ends meet after a month of very hard slog.

The problem seems to be the price of childcare and there is absolutely no tax relief available at all.

Also, there is little difference for some people between the basic wage and the social welfare which is another problem in itself.

It really would have been easier for me to "declare" myself an unmarried mother and get the benefits, etc, while still having my partner living there, but I would not go down that route and I feel the way the system is structured at the moment, it is too easy to take advantage of.

I am not saying for one moment that this is the case in your situation, but I know of many people who do this and it makes my blood boil

I hope it works out for you.

attention of working mum

Hi, apologies if I came across as if I was rude to full time working mums, that is certainly not at all what I meant. I too could have and have often been pressured (including by the dole office) to claim lone parents, but I never did, the reason I did not is because I felt if I signed up to that I would never get off it, and I do want to get off the dole, I was hoping to start off part time working and hopefully educate myself at a night class that I am pursuing, so I can then better myself to work full time in the future. I know how hard it must be to be working and worrying about your children, whenever I am away from my son for a few hours I worry, so I know what you mean.

You are doing fine witchywand

Listen witchywand, its hard for any single mom, full time, part time or not working all. Granted some do take advantage, but they will get theirs in the end, a rant of which I'm not going into now.

You are doing best for your child and thats exactly what every parent needs to do. I should say actualy that its hard for any parent right now. Childcare is such a massive hurdle even with two incomes. The people who give out about scabbing or sponging of the system do have a point, yet everyone is individual and for some, like you, working full time leaves you and your child worse off. I commend your efforts, it is hard, but it WILL pay off.

Hold your head high and let the ignorant think what they like, what do they know anyway?

2 1/2 days

The cash in hand point may be relevant there is a minimum number of hours you need to work on order for it to be considerdd work by the revenue, maybe 8 hrs a week...could be worht looking in to. This would only keep the person out of the tax system, all work would need to be declared in terms of social welfare

Lone Parents

I wouldn't knock Lone parents payment either. Until recently there was a graduated element in it where it was paid at a reduced level for those returning to work. Those entitled to it should claim. Unfortunately the graduated element along witht the Back to Education and Back to Work Allowances have all fallen fowl of McCreevy et al.

Due to recent SW cutbacks there is less incentive to use these schemes to get back in to work and education. Maybe people should concentrate their fire on the people who make these decsions and not the mother in question who is doing her best to get back into work

Back