Wood burning stoves

Sorry I posted the wrong link earlier, I got the 6kw one, and it did fit into the existing opening. Not sure if the 9kw would fit without widening, I was getting a whole new fireplace anyway and also priced the 9kw, it was only an extra 100 quid all in. Glad I didn't go for the 9kw now as we'd melt with the heat, totally depends on room size & insulation levels though.
Old thread, sorry for the resurrection!

@Coldwarrior - I'm thinking of getting the same stove. I only want to burn Wood (occassionaly turf) and didn't like the look of the woodburner inserts (that cardboard look). So you can use the vitae without the grill and it's no hassle?

There are many stoves at different price points, i went with a Contura i6, insert stove, as we didn’t like the ones that stick out, Contura are quite pricey, but very solid, and 3 years, delighted with it, and very asthetically pleasing, which was a key factor for us. Also superbly controllable.

You can only use Kiln dried wood only with this one.

I look at these things as a one time investment.

There are many stoves at different price points, i went with a Contura i6, insert stove, as we didn’t like the ones that stick out, Contura are quite pricey, but very solid, and 3 years, delighted with it, and very asthetically pleasing, which was a key factor for us. Also superbly controllable.

You can only use Kiln dried wood only with this one.

I look at these things as a one time investment.

Looks nice alright - they only thing I'm not mad about with regards the proper woodburners, is that cardboard looking firebrick in them.

That will blacken over time.
Colour will change but it shouldn't blacken - have my inset stove now 8 years and firebricks are still very much in a light brown colour.
If it blackens (ie soot accumulation), there's a problem.

Trying to decide between wood burning stove and muti fuel. Wood burning isn't something I had been seriously entertaining to be honest.
Aesthetically the wood burners do look well though, guess that's down to not having bulky grates and ash pans. It seems you really need to be using kiln dried wood in this country, is that a fair statement? ...seems expensive.

Wondering about storage as well. I'd need to get some kind of log store. Most I see have open fronts and slatted sides which seems the logs would get a proper soaking, seems a but mad for storing kiln dried wood? Am I missing something with this?
Just by the wood as you need it save storing it.

Hi all, I have an old tiled fireplace, the 1920's/30's style. I would really like to have a more efficient solid fuel fire, but would like to retain the original fireplace. Does anyone know if there is a suitable insert stove that would work with this type of fireplace? Does it depend on the dimensions?

Back