Wisdom Teeth Removal, How Much?

I had all four removed a few years ago (Mount Carmel, Dublin). The prices quoted above are similar to what I was charged.

Two lower ones were impacted so I had to have a general anaesthetic but went home that afternoon. The reason why the bottom ones need to be removed carefully is because there is a nerve that runs close to where the teeth are located and damage to this can result in loss of sensation in the tip of the tongue and lips (as far as I remember).

From my experience if you need to get all four out do it all at once and not piecemeal (cost aside). Personally, it took over a week for the swelling to go down (chipmunk doesn't do it justice). However, some friends of mine had almost no adverse effects, depends on the person. Not something I'd like to do again, but would if necessary.

Hi
I got my four removed last year in the Northbrook for €1600 - yes that dear - that included the xray in the clinic in Maynooth (name escapes me at the moment) but i only got €34 back through my tax - as I only work part time and am claiming loan parents. In and out in less than hour and a half in all.

I am going to an Oral Surgeon on Wednesday to have a (single) Wisdom Tooth removed. It has a deep cavity due to years of drinking coke and other soft drinks. If it wasn't for the cavity there would be no need for the tooth to be removed.
From reading this thread, I am getting scared. I swear I will never drink coke again!!!!!!!!!!!

My dentist recommended that I go to the Dental Training Hospital in Dublin because she knew I couldn't afford to get an oral surgeon to do it. She said it could be done for a couple of hundred euro because they get a trainee to do - supervised of course.
In the end I didn't have to because when she was filling it in she discovered it was loose and she could pull it out. But I'd advise anyone to ring up and enquire, you could save yourself a hell of a lotta money.

Hi there.

I had one wisdom tooth removed in November (upper left). It had been there for a while but only started causing me pain and difficulty on the Bank Holiday weekend.

As I was going away a few days later, I opted to go to a local dentist in Terenure to get painkillers and maybe an antibiotic to help the pain and worry about the removal of the tooth at a later date.

Much to my surprise, the dentist said he would take it out there and then. The shock therapy worked because I didn't feel a thing. It was whipped out in 10 minutes and I had absolutely NO pain afterwards.

And the best thing of the lot? It cost me just €90!!

So before you resign yourself to the fact that you may have to fork out hundreds to get a wisdom tooth out, have another chat with your dentist.

My case was not serious and so my experience may not apply to everyone. But it is worth checking out.

upper wisdom teeth are one of the easiest to remove generally and in no way can be compared to lower wisdom extraction which is generally the most difficult in the mouth especially if impacted.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in November. I went under a general anaesthesia for the removal. In total it has cost me €504, that was after the VHI paid for €400 of the total cost. I only had to stay in for a few hours and then I went home. I think that you are covered by VHI / Bupa from the moment you become a member.

I believe that for anyone who is not currently insured, there is a 26 week (6 mth) waiting period before cover commences. This can be higher if over 55 years of age. Also, there is usually a 5 year exclusion period for existing conditions. However when there is existing cover, and cover is transferred to another insurer, there is no waiting period or exclusion period. Better for all to get cover started ASAP, before there is a need for cover, and while in good health! Also, costs for above wisdom procedures are covered if you go into hospital for an in-patient treatment, its as an outpatient that there is less cover. Different insurers cover this to different extents, and with different excesses depending on the level of cover and any extras.

upper wisdom teeth are one of the easiest to remove generally and in no way can be compared to lower wisdom extraction which is generally the most difficult in the mouth especially if impacted.

Absolutely - I agree. Mine was the 'best case scenario'. But there are many people - like myself - who didn't know this in advance and were preparing themsevles for the worst. It may be of help to someone who is in the same position I was in.

The cost of getting them removed in a hospital is scandalous. Nobody can prevent wisdom teeth from growing. There should financial assistance available from the Government for people who need to have these dastardly teeth removed.

However, the words 'banging', 'head' and 'brick wall' spring to mind!!!

junior cu (around 20 at the time) got all 4 out with an overnight in the bons in glasnevin. bupa covered most of the hospital bill and most of the consultants on the most basic of their plans. think the hospital was €1100 and consultant was €600 ( or it could have been €800 and bupa paid €600). either way I had to pay the bons around €200 and the consultant another €200 regret that I cannot rememeber the exact figures.

I believe that for anyone who is not currently insured, there is a 26 week (6 mth) waiting period before cover commences. This can be higher if over 55 years of age. Also, there is usually a 5 year exclusion period for existing conditions. However when there is existing cover, and cover is transferred to another insurer, there is no waiting period or exclusion period. Better for all to get cover started ASAP, before there is a need for cover, and while in good health! Also, costs for above wisdom procedures are covered if you go into hospital for an in-patient treatment, its as an outpatient that there is less cover. Different insurers cover this to different extents, and with different excesses depending on the level of cover and any extras.

if the condition is present prior to getting insurance, you will have a 5 year waiting period, if under 55... if u have an accident, like a crash, fall and break a leg you will be covered.... most procedures for wisdom teeth are covered as day care admissions, some over night. depending on your plan you should have nothing to pay to the hospital, but some consultants always charge more for some reason, usually the anaesthetist's.....

Im am student, have had 2 sergeries already on a tooth where dentristry in ireland failed me, a dentist in hungary fixed and crowned my tooth. i now have to get all 4 wisdom teeth out, after being awake for 2 operations previous to this i dont think i could possible do it again without being knocked out, but i really need to find out how much this will cost privately, and does quinn cover any of it? i think my mum has me covered with them?

Back