Wisdom Teeth Removal, How Much?

S

supertrooper

Does anyone have an idea of how much this will cost? I have to get all four of them removed.

wisdom teeth

... had this done a good few years ago (at least 10) ... cost about 600 punts back then ... in the Dartmount Clinic in Ranelagh. VHI or BUPA should cover it though. Good luck.

Likewise got it fully covered by VHI, got it done in northbrook clinic in dublin, full anesthetic & got all four done together.
My sister in law, hers were above the gum, was to get 4 pulled by local. 2 one month and 2 the next....she never went back after the first 2. See if you can get them done by general, you'll be out of work for 3 days - 1 week

sorry

.... mixing my roads ... not Dartmount but Northbrook ...

If you don't have VHI or BUPA, you can claim tax relief at your marginal tax rate 42% or 20% if the procedure is carried out surgically.

Marion :hat

Slightly off subject, on another posting some time ago I metioned that I 'enrolled' my 22 year old in the cheapest Bupa scheme for 'peace of mind' turns out now she has to have two wisdom teeth removed and another two to 'balance' them out. Didnt cost it but Bupa will cover most of it. I think the appointment with the consultant is probably not covered.

Slightly further off topic but does anyone know how long you have to be with Bupa before this is covered?

sorry unable to answer that question, in her case it was continuous as she was in vhi until joining bupa. reason for switch is at 21 she was classified as an adult but being 21, I wanted her in the basic plan. found vhi totally intransigent on this point so I took her out of vhi and enrolled her in bupa. biggest mistake I made is not taking my 18 year old son out of vhi this year. result, I am paying close to €200 for him while bupa would have covered him for under €100 as a student in their most basic plan. Dont intend to make that mistake again next year.

Wisedom tooth removal.

Got upper left one removed recently, cost 10 euro
as it was covered under PRSI. sound effects though were awful as tooth is very near to ear.
Dentist was saying a much bigger job to remove the bottom 2 wisedom teeth.

Re: Wisedom tooth removal.

My daugher has now seen the consultant €100 down already. Will have to have all 4 out,which means an overnight in some hospital in Glasnevin ( name escapes me) was informed that the total costs will be around €600 and Bupa will cover approx €300. Unfortunately as a student she will not be paying tax and is not in a position to claim back the tax, even though I am the one paying, I dont think I can claim either.

Setanta

If your daughter is in full-time education, you should be able to claim tax relief on her [broken link removed]

Marion :hat

Supertrooper, I was told a couple of years back that I needed to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed. I was 29 at the time and thought it strange that at that age I should have to get this done - I was under the impression that this was generally something that would be done during your late teens. Anyway, I went for a second opinion and was told it was fine to leave them in once I made sure I brushed them properly - in other words once I made sure there were no food bits stuck in the gap between my wisdom teeth and the molar in front of them. Having asked around further I discovered that the first dentist actually told any of my colleagues who visit him that they wisdom also needed wisdom teeth removed ... so it looks like they are a pet hate of his! So what I am saying (in a long winded sort of way!) is make sure that you do actually need to get your wisdom teeth removed before you get this operation performed - it is apparently quite a large operation and will involve an overnight stay in hopital and probably a week off work. It could be that your dentist just doesn't like them!

Would agree with everything Ceist Beag has said above. Was told the same at least 20 years ago and still have all 4 wisdom teeth (but still lacking in wisdom :) ).

Have spoken to Dr. and a few different dentists and all varied on their opinions.

first: my daughter is in agony and keeps getting abcesses (?) in her gums. Dentist was VERY reluctant to go down removal route. was on anti-biotics etc over Christmas but x-rays show roots of one wisdom tooth growing into here cheekbone and very likely the same to happen on other side. attended this consultant in dublin on monday and he said the cause was teeth grinding and that there was irreparable damage to her gums. went to great length to explain how serious the surgery was etc and how she would be off college for a week but should be ok after that. will lose some feeling in her cheek for maybe 4 years and maybe in her tongue as well. Sounds dreadful.(I think the bons in glasnevin was mentioned.)
Marion: Thanks. One of the new generation, been to college,course completed but started again in St Pats last year , so yes, a full time student. Found summer work last year no problem ( I think that the fact she was 22 and not 23 and therefore not entitled to social welfare might have been a useful spur- for which I was grateful, might appreciate working for a living a little bit more)I pay here enrolment fees each september but by good fortune she is still entitled to free fees, as a) she completed that last course and b)it was diploma course when she completed - its now a degree. If she had completed a degree course then I would also have fees but I dont so thats one thing out of the way. she did pay tax but got it back when returning to college in September so this might render me ineligible.

Re: Wisdom Teeth Remova, How Much?

I've been told i need to get my bottom two wisdom teeth removed by my dentist. He is referring me to an oral surgeon but i never thought to ask why he could not do the job himself - he charged me €80 just to tell me that i needed them out and this did not include him taking an x-ray as he had one from a previous visit. !

Anyway i'm now wondering how much this is going to set me back.

I had to get a root canal done last year which i was told would cost me around 600 and was told i would get at least half back - but it ended up costing me 900 and i only got back 20% (which to me is ridiculous)

Anyway i'm in VHI but not coverered by PRSI as i am over 24 & have not as yet been working 5 continuous year (3 & counting)

I can't get a straight answer anywhere as to how much these wisdom teeth are going to cost me. Can anyone tell me please

Thanks

Re: Wisdom Teeth Remova, How Much?

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

I would be more worried about having the job done properly rather than the cost. There are some previous threads here that you might get some advice/info. from.

IMHO each case differs hence your referral to the surgeon and this is probably the reason why no one can give you an exact price yet.

As a VHI member, when I got my wisdom teeth removed by a surgeon I was covered for everything excluding my first consultancy fee and my follow up visit.
Total monetary cost to me was €200

Thanks for your responses. I am getting it done by the surgeon alright,
i just need to know how much it'll cost so that i can make sure to budget for it. There is this assumption that people just have the money lying around for things like this to be done.

I had my wisdom teeth removed in November. I went under a general anaesthesia for the removal. In total it has cost me €504, that was after the VHI paid for €400 of the total cost. I only had to stay in for a few hours and then I went home. I think that you are covered by VHI / Bupa from the moment you become a member.

Just to compare Asian to Irish prices.
we were in Bangkok last Oct. I got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, two one week and the other two the 5 days later. One impacted and three showing. Cost 15 euros per tooth for the three and 24 euros including antibiotics for the impacted. Local anasthectic for all. No problems and brilliant dentists, much better than here in Ireland. They explain every detail to you and ensure you are very comfortable with the process at all times. We met a ton of Aussies their who came up for treatment. They all said it was costing a fraction of the price to back home. A cleaning costs 10-15 euros for a fab job. So anyone heading to Asia or down under we recommend trying there for all your dentitry needs. My wife got a crown for a fraction of the price here. Optimistic

Back