Wine with alcohol content lower than the usual 12-14%

muffin1973

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone knew of any wines (red or white) that have a lower volume that the usual 12-14%? Had a bottle of wine the other night in a restaurant and practically fell asleep at the table as it was 14.5% and we hadn't thought to check this in advance :eek:

We tend to drink red more than white, and I've googled it but it seems there's no such thing as a proper red wine under about 12%?? I know rose/white zinfandel is normally lower but wouldn't really drink much of until the summer so really would be more interested in red wine suggestions.

Thanks,

M

Re: Lower volume wine

Hi there,

Weightwatchers do a Riesling and a red (not sure what exactly) that are only 9%. I've only tried the white which is surprisingly quite drinkable. I know Superquinn and Dunnes stock them. Not much use if you're in a restaurant but give it a try at home...

Great Tayto - thanks!

Mathepac - no chance :D

I'd prefer to go with mathepac's advice. I think it is better to select a wine on the basis of how much it appeals to my palate than on the basis of alcohol content (but it is a good idea to note the alcohol content, and let that be a guide on how much to drink). Two glasses of a wine I like are worth more to me than three of a wine that I don't particularly care for.

Lindemanns do an Early Harvest wine in both red and white (grapes picked earlier, so less sugar, so less alcohol etc etc), they're about 8 or 9 % and aren't too bad, but you do notice the difference after normally drinking something that's almost 14% :p
Also there's a sparkling wine that only 5% by an Australian brand, name is something like Bros Brothers or Brook Brothers, can't remember at the moment.
All available in Dunnes.

French wines used to be traditionally between 10-13% New World wines are often higher. However, france is followinghe trend of higher alcohol content ( or at least the french wine stocked in Ireland. In France it is easy to find a wine with 9 or 10% alcohol(.
Try superquinn or somewhere else that has a good selection of french wines and see what you can find.

The weightwatchers red is awful, its like a white coloured red and if you dont like white you will hate it...

My anti-freeze, sorry wine Liebfraumilch is only 9%, doesn't give a hangover and I like it. Find the 13% wines too strong and just make me go to sleep. Have a terrible habit of drinking alcohol as if it is a mineral and at least you can get away with doing this with this refreshing and light one.

New World wines usually have the higher alcohol content.
Stick with the French stuff.

New World wines usually have the higher alcohol content.
Stick with the French stuff.

That drove me to check my stock of French reds. The lowest alcohol content is 12.5%, and the highest is 14%.

try some of the chiantis,
this is a more common trend in the last 18 months.

PS, some good german wines including liebfraumilch now available.
big improvements. perfect and affordable aperatif.

I've come across a few Rose wines recently that have been on special offer at local winemarts, and I noticed that they are 9% vol.

This is a nice figure if you are just having a quiet drink with a meal, as it doesn't give you the head the next morning even if you polish off the full bottle!!!

I will get the name of the last one I tried and post tomorrow. Think it was Californian anyway.

A lot of the German and Austrian whites are low in alcohol 9% to 11%. Also some French wines from the Alcasce area made in the German Style.
Be careful though there are a few German Whites that go to 14%+ e.g. Gewurtztraminer. That one looks and tastes like the light ones but will blow your head off!

I thought that e.g. Claret was generally a bit lower in alcohol than Burgundy - but maybe a bit of a generalisation.

try some of the chiantis,
this is a more common trend in the last 18 months.

PS, some good german wines including liebfraumilch now available.

Liebfraumilch! You are of course joking. Aren't you?

go to some wine tastings and taste some of the half decent ones.
they are a good aperatif and believe it or not in a random audience of 100 - more will enjoy liebfraumilch than champange.

it doesn't fit in with wine snobbery celtic tiger claret theroy, but its improved a lot.

Very true. I know of one largeish law firm who had a winetasting event where most people, blindtasting, preferred Blue Nun to any of the more "acceptable" ( ahem!) whites.

I'm afraid I would be one of the great unwashed when it comes to wine so am happy to stick with the lower end of the price range for the Friday night slump in front of the fire.

mf

Back