Windows Vista Basic or Windows XP Home

Windows Vista Home Premium has Media Centre which regular XP doesn't have (there is a special XP edition with it); any thoughts on whether it might be worth having Vista Home Premium, instead of XP Home in order to get Media Centre?

Anyone here tried the Media Centre software on Vista Home Premium?

and although XP is currently faster than Vista, if I was going to keep the PC for four or five years, would the consensus be that I should still opt for XP rather than Vista?

Since presumably in a year or so Vista will be as quick as XP and I'll be able to download the updates which may iron out the current problems.

If keeping the PC for this length of time, maybe I should opt for Vista? Any thoughts?

I would be reluctant to buy computer with XP as chances are it may have older hardware spec & could have been left on shelf where it can wear away quicker due to metal migration & capacitor corresion than if it had been in use.
I bought computer lately 530 euro (incl vat & del) with duo core processor & 1024 memory & seem to handle vista ( Home Basic) OK. I think most complaints with vista are from people with older hardware or coperate customers who may have special software.
I did note some compatibility probs with mobile phone drivers & CDs not compatible but vista found updated drivers.(I have children & friends & computer gets a lot of iPod & mobile phone program use). Also Xp computer will look & feel old in a year or 2 time.
Incidently Vista basic will work on lower spec than vista home premium as AERO uses resources.

and although XP is currently faster than Vista, if I was going to keep the PC for four or five years, would the consensus be that I should still opt for XP rather than Vista?...

If you find someone who can predict the future let us know.

I doubt you will keep the computer that lot, but my best guess is XP won't be supported in patches and sceurity fixes that long. Theres nothing wrong with running Windows 98 or 3.11 if it does all you need.

I checked and MS said they will support XP till 2014.

Only you will know if theres something you need in the Vista that isn't in XP. I'm been using it for a few months and I havent found anything new I needed in it.

MS will release SP3 for XP early next year, so I think you're safe with xp for a good while yet.

link
Info on Vista updates there as well.

I recommend the Royale theme for XP, much nicer look than the normal theme.

Back