Windows Vista Basic or Windows XP Home

Becca

When ordering a Dell pc, the pc can cost the same if the purchaser chooses either

Windows XP Home, or,
Windows Vista Basic.

Which would you choose?

I don't use the pc for anything too complicated, just word processing, web browsing, e-mail.

Windows XP Home, or,
Windows Vista Basic.

XP probably cheaper and faster, due to Vista being new & having (garbage) services running in the background.

So i would 200% agree with ClubMan.

Although you can download any OS for yourself to try out.

EDIT: on re-reading you post i realise that the "cheaper" part of my post would only refer to buying it somewhere else.

I would also certainly go for XP.

Vista Premium won't be any faster than Vista basic, as it's the same underlying kernel. The premium edition comes with extra stuff that might even slow it down further.

Vista definitely feels slower than XP to me, but I don't the think the difference in speed is too bad if you have 2GB of RAM or more. That said, there are other disadvantages to Vista, including problems with software not working on it and a very annoying 'security' feature that interrupts what you're doing quite frequently to confirm that you really want to do it.

Where I work, no-one ever wants to get stuck using our Vista laptop. I don't know of any big companies or third-level institutions that are ready to go near it.

Yeah, just stay away from Vista, it's not that up to date is it? I'ts only new.
XP is alot more stable and more hardware will work with it that vista.

Just to add a contra(ry) opinion, I would go with Vista Basic as Vista is better for multimedia, photos, video, including HD DVD or Blu-ray playback, if you think that might be of interest to you.

Plus, if you are going to keep the PC for several years, you might be better off getting Vista now as it will be the only option in a year's time and you might as well get used to it now!

....Vista is better for multimedia, photos, video, including HD DVD or Blu-ray playback,....

Can you be specific? Why is it better for those things?

I'm using Vista and have no real issue except its slower and offers nothing new thats of any value as far as I can see.

Huh?! Not legally surely?
No sorry:eek: That'dbe highly illegal, but imeaned for her to just try. You'd be sure to stir up problems if you encountered an error and left the pc into a repair guy. You'd have the FBI/Bill Gates kicking your front door down.:)

Plus, if you are going to keep the PC for several years, you might be better off getting Vista now as it will be the only option in a year's time and you might as well get used to it now!
If that ever happened I might find myself finally going to the Linux Platform:D As i've been trying to lately but can't find time to.

If that ever happened I might find myself finally going to the Linux Platform:D As i've been trying to lately but can't find time to.
I've heard there are free OS, in the same way there are free web browsers such as FireFox.

Is Linux a free OS? Are there other free OS?

AFAIK, Linux is free to download, althought you may need to pay for professional (commercial) advice/diagnostics, otherwise it's all open-source. I think fedora is a good one for n00bs.:)

Don't think there's any other free OS.

I would also certainly go for XP.

Vista definitely feels slower than XP to me, but I don't the think the difference in speed is too bad if you have 2GB of RAM or more. That said, there are other disadvantages to Vista, including problems with software not working on it and a very annoying 'security' feature that interrupts what you're doing quite frequently to confirm that you really want to do it.

Where I work, no-one ever wants to get stuck using our Vista laptop. I don't know of any big companies or third-level institutions that are ready to go near it.
Do you think Vista will eventually become faster than xp as don't Microsoft do updates for their OSs and you download their improvements?

Or is there some fundamental reason why Vista will remain slower than XP, maybe because there is so much info contained in Vista compared to XP which slows it down?

Do you think Vista will eventually become faster than xp as don't Microsoft do updates for their OSs and you download their improvements?

Or is there some fundamental reason why Vista will remain slower than XP, maybe because there is so much info contained in Vista compared to XP which slows it down?

Don't know what you mean by "info". But generally more features and more bloat makes an OS slower. As almost every new OS has done. Hardware gets faster inline with the OS usually. Typically people find the new features useful, or more enjoyable to use.

Yeah, meant features.

So it won't be the Microsoft patches/downloads that will speed Vista up, but better hardware?

Back