Will bank take sterling coinage and give notes for it

Passport1

Hi
If i bring sterling coinage (1 pound. 50 pence, 20 pence, etc) to bank - will they exchange it for sterling notes or Euro notes ?
Talking maybe 20 quid worth or coinage
Thanks

Thanks all for replies and recommendations - appreciate it

Would the central bank exchange it or as jpd says will they charge for it ?

On a trip to London, a few years ago, I brought all the small change GBP I had. When we had to buy a multi-trip London Underground ticket, I spent around 10 minutes popping in as much of it as I could to cover the cost. The people queuing behind me weren't impressed :p
Done that as well, I have a little money bag for their funny coins and notes, many a Toblerone has been bought at the airport on the way home as a result

Years ago when working in a bank and when both Sterling and Irish coinage mixed freely in everyday change I used to collect all the Sterling 50p coins before my trips to the U.K. We had no problem getting rid of these as we went about our holiday. I also remember at the time that Irish coinage could be used in parking meters etc. :)

Hi
If i bring sterling coinage (1 pound. 50 pence, 20 pence, etc) to bank - will they exchange it for sterling notes or Euro notes ?
Talking maybe 20 quid worth or coinage
Thanks
Don’t forget that the UK changed some of their coinage a few years back and few retailers accept them anymore.

The original pound coin is no longer accepted though I think their banks still take them.

I was over there about five years ago when I was informed of this by a friend. So I’d about £10 in original pound coins. I went to buy a pack of fisherman’s friends with a new pound coin, but when the teller saw me with the old coins she said she’d take them. So I bought ten packs of FF.

I tried to spend money in Belfast this weekend, the NI sterling pound coins and lower were not taken, they said there were new ones now and nobody would take the paper money, said it's only plastic notes now. I wasn't there during the week to go to a bank, it's a pain.

Back