Will bank take sterling coinage and give notes for it

Passport1

Frequent Poster
Hi
If i bring sterling coinage (1 pound. 50 pence, 20 pence, etc) to bank - will they exchange it for sterling notes or Euro notes ?
Talking maybe 20 quid worth or coinage
Thanks

Passport1

Frequent Poster
Thanks all for replies and recommendations - appreciate it

Would the central bank exchange it or as jpd says will they charge for it ?

Peanuts20

On a trip to London, a few years ago, I brought all the small change GBP I had. When we had to buy a multi-trip London Underground ticket, I spent around 10 minutes popping in as much of it as I could to cover the cost. The people queuing behind me weren't impressed :p
Done that as well, I have a little money bag for their funny coins and notes, many a Toblerone has been bought at the airport on the way home as a result

SoylentGreen

Frequent Poster
Years ago when working in a bank and when both Sterling and Irish coinage mixed freely in everyday change I used to collect all the Sterling 50p coins before my trips to the U.K. We had no problem getting rid of these as we went about our holiday. I also remember at the time that Irish coinage could be used in parking meters etc. :)

Drakon

Frequent Poster
Hi
If i bring sterling coinage (1 pound. 50 pence, 20 pence, etc) to bank - will they exchange it for sterling notes or Euro notes ?
Talking maybe 20 quid worth or coinage
Thanks
Don’t forget that the UK changed some of their coinage a few years back and few retailers accept them anymore.

The original pound coin is no longer accepted though I think their banks still take them.

I was over there about five years ago when I was informed of this by a friend. So I’d about £10 in original pound coins. I went to buy a pack of fisherman’s friends with a new pound coin, but when the teller saw me with the old coins she said she’d take them. So I bought ten packs of FF.