Wife giving up work ....

bitethebullet

Hi, My wife is giving up her job next week but is paid montly so is due another pay cheque post termination. Should she sign on the day she finishes or how does it work? Thanks

She should start her claim from her first day of unemployment, even if a salary payment is due after that date. So if she finishes on Friday, her claim can start from the following Monday.

Is everyone who gives up work entitled to sign on and what exactly do you sign on for?

Everyone who meets the criteria* is.

And one normally 'signs on' for a jobseeker's payment (JA or JB). If one isn't eligible for either, the signing on would be for PRSI credits.

* effectively these are: available for work; looking for work and fit for work!

Last edited:
yeah but if you jack in a perfectly fine job you have to wait 3 months for any benefits.

Which makes perfect sense to me! Why should the State reward someone for deciding on a whim to quit a perfectly fine job?

Last edited:
I suppose that's really what I wanted to know. Why give up a job and then expect to get paid from the goverment, or am I missing something?
Yes, the PRSI credit component is to also be considered alongside the welfare payment which his wife may or may not be receive.

Which makes perfect sense to me! Why should the State reward someone for deciding to quit a perfectly fine job?
Because the person in question may have made the appropriate PRSI contributions & may fit the defined criteria to avail of Social Insurance.

Like an insurance policy on your house or car, you pay into a policy via your premium & when bad circumstance befall you then you make a claim which will be assessed on the criteria.

This is something new to me. Mrs Beag stepped out of work a number of years back (for family reasons). She did not register with SW. Is she now at risk of having missed out on PRSI contributions or something?

This is something new to me. Mrs Beag stepped out of work a number of years back (for family reasons). She did not register with SW. Is she now at risk of having missed out on PRSI contributions or something?
Yes, she should register with your local Intreo office explaining the back dated period. Bring your documents.

Because the person in question may have made the appropriate PRSI contributions & may fit the defined criteria to avail of Social Insurance.

Like an insurance policy on your house or car, you pay into a policy via your premium & when bad circumstance befall you then you make a claim which will be assessed on the criteria.

So if you decide to burn your house down, your insurance company will cheerfully pay out. You certain about that?

I'm certain they wouldn't pay you. You have described a notional case where the circumstances are known: The house was intentionally burned down.

I don't have the equivalent level of detail in the case the OP describes. I have no idea why his wife is giving up her job because he didn't write it in his post.

His wife will in all likelihood will need to furnish those details to the department of Social Welfare & they can then make an informed decision as to her entitlement or not.

I thought it was 9 weeks before you technically could receive your social welfare payment if you voluntary.. Let's be honest here this rule is seldom applied by most local welfare offices... If you have the prsi contributions paid, you receive your non means tested payment.. Imagine if a person was forced to resign due to their mental health.. Would you like to be the social welfare officer questioning a person about this.. I'd say way beyond their pay grade

If an individual is claiming Jobseeker, they must be available for and actively seeking employment (if under age 62). So it’s not quite as simple as giving up a job and immediately claiming Jobseekers. Equally if they only wanted to sign on for “credits”, the also have to satisfy the activation process.

Yes, she should register with your local Intreo office explaining the back dated period. Bring your documents.
Mrs Beag does not have to register with Intreo if she left work to look after your child(ren). Homemaker scheme applies here, which disregards homemaking years when calculating pension entitlement.
More information here -

No one knows whey the person in question left their job, it's not as simple as leave job/don't get payment. You can indeed sign on and may even be entitled to your JB immediately depending on reason you left, it's not black and white.

It's not black and white.
It is fairly complex. It's well worth reading the Operational guidelines for Jobseekers Benefit before you apply. You will then have a good understanding of what is required and expected from you when you apply. Basically if you know what is expected you be in a better situation to answer any questions in a way that will be acceptable to the deciding officer.

Mrs Beag does not have to register with Intreo if she left work to look after your child(ren). Homemaker scheme applies here, which disregards homemaking years when calculating pension entitlement.
More information here -
Thanks gipimann, as per that information we don't need to do anything as her claim for Child Benefit is treated as an application to be registered as a homemaker, good to know we haven't messed up here!

Back