Why should I have to pay for someone else's high speed broadband?

We live in Dublin and Eircom could not give us E-Fibre BB even though they prommised it to us for over a year.We were stuck with a pathetic 6.8mb bb and a crackly phone line
I changed to UPC there on Saturday last and have the 60mb bb package,and Im delighted with it.Im actually getting bang on 60mb of broadband.
We have a large 100cm Triax satelite dish in the back garden with 3 different LNBs for all our Irish,UK,and European FTA TV channels.
I also have an IPTV android box at all the TV points around the house for watching other worldwide FTA TV Channels.
I like my MotoGP and Nascar and I wont pay Setanta or BT Sports to watch them,so instead so I watch them live via Australian and UAE FTA TV.:)

[broken link removed]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127582733@N07/15805342171/

What about doing a Google search for "Satellite Broadband Ireland"?

I count 7 suppliers with 20MB down /6MB up, including TV packages, etc. (Netflix would not be a necessity, business and education would)

If greater speeds are required then its a matter of paying for it.

Its far from a stable solution.
I know people who are paying silly money for satellite broadband and are still getting a very poor broadband service that is heavily affected by the weather conditions

I agree with this principal, but I don't see why we can't expect our country cousins to help pay for it, if they are in remote locations (perhaps a once off lump sum payment towards installation costs by way of a levy ?)

Because we have a central taxation system. Some areas generate more tax income than other and the government spreads it to where it's needed.

There are plenty of towns and villages of thousands of people with substandard broadband, not just individual houses here and there.

What about doing a Google search for "Satellite Broadband Ireland"?

I count 7 suppliers with 20MB down /6MB up, including TV packages, etc. (Netflix would not be a necessity, business and education would)

What is advertised and what is delivered are two very different matters. I was on Eircom's 20MB pacakage. I'd be doing well to get 2MB. I am now on eFibre which is advertised at 100MB. As I'm typing this, I am getting 19MB

I have no problem with this in principle. Swings and roundabouts really. Should not be penalising people because they live in a rural area. Societies should be providing services to allow people to have a decent quality life and enjoy reasonable services.

Not wanting to change the topic but makes the blood boil when I see this which I think is fair and acceptable, not wishing to penalise people because they live in a rural area. And then Property tax which is levied massively unfairly and to the detriment of urban, particularly Dublin, dwellers. All other charges, electricity and gas units, road tax, etc, charged on a consistent and equal basis irrespective of where you live. Yet because it's charged simply on house value city people ends up paying multiples of rural dwellers even if living in an inferior house. My argument is with HOW the charge is calculated and applied.

I don't understand why all the protests over water which is a modest charge compared to insane levels of property tax that people face very soon, with house prices having increased significantly.

Ps I am from the countryside but now living in Dublin so can see both sides and can comprehend the unfairness of how property tax is charged.

Its far from a stable solution.
I know people who are paying silly money for satellite broadband and are still getting a very poor broadband service that is heavily affected by the weather conditions

Exactlt...people suggesting this as an option obviously don't know anything about the service. It's patchy, very hit and miss.

No way could any business down the country rely solely on something like that

I really do not want to pay more taxes so people in remote areas can watch movies and play computer games. They can access the internet without broadband.

How does it work with electricity and the phone? If I build a house miles from anywhere, will they just provide me with electricity at the same price as someone in a town or city?
Brendan

I hate to tell you Brendan but with the Govt we have at present we are all going to pay tax on this, that and the other. If we don't pay directly, we will pay indirectly.

I live in the most rural part of the country and I have broadband which runs fine. In fact it is as good as I will get in Dublin. However the mobile reception is desperate.

As for electricity, if somebody wants to build a house in the middle of no where, then the ESB will charge them a hefty price for the supply.

Last week a new flyover at Newlands cross was opened. This only benefits a small portion of the drivers in the Country, hence should it have been built?

My OH tells me this is an absolutely fantastic new flyover, and it will benefit an awful lot of the country, not just Dublin commuters.

As for electricity, if somebody wants to build a house in the middle of no where, then the ESB will charge them a hefty price for the supply.

Thanks mercman

That is the way it should be. And that is the way it should be for broadband as well.

Presumably providing broadband to towns and villages would not be as expensive per head, so they can share the cost.

My objection is to providing it to someone who lives well away from any town or village.

Brendan

Of course not (that's not what motorways are for :) ), but we do have publicly-funded roads going to every cottage on top of a hill - urban and rural.

Which reminds me of a distant relation in rural Roscommon, the type with the house in field 5, after you pass through field 1 to 4. Well in with FF and eventually got their road paid for. I remember as a child visiting it via literally fields, but they did have electricity. I think it was nearly two miles of road for one house.

Why should I as a rural dweller subsidize the cost of an urban dweller's water supplies when I have my own well?

I'm a rural dweller too. I just use mobile broadband on my phone. It's mostly an edge (2.5g) service which is too slow for YouTube but fast enough for general browsing. Whenever I find a spot with a 3g connection I do all my updates etc.
Premier broadband is a broadband provider that I hear of often that people have good experiences with in difficult to reach areas.

Hi shoestring

You shouldn't be. We should all pay the full cost of our own water and sewage.

Brendan

Hi Brendan
I suppose its swings and roundabouts was my point. For instance its been pressed home now for the last couple of months or so by the anti water side that 'we' already pay for our water services through general taxation. Thats grand, only for I have paid approximately 30 per month to treat my own water for years, along with a couple of hundred every few years to sort the wastewater treatment system, all without the need for Irish Water. I am also a tax payer. Thats me subsidizing Urban water users in my book and there are a huge portion of people like myself.

Yet again though, the government is looking to divide and conquer by giving me €100 next year 'all of a sudden', will they backdate it 10 years?

Incidentally I pay the same property tax as a bog standard 3 bed semi in Dublin but I dont have cycle lanes, public transport etc. I do have pot holes though.

One could also use the analogy that part of my taxes go to subsidise Dublin Bus for example Perhaps if all non-Dublin taxpayers had the option to withhold taxes paid that are diverted to that company, that would be fair?? I don't derive any benefit from it?

Incidentally I pay the same property tax as a bog standard 3 bed semi in Dublin but I dont have cycle lanes, public transport etc. I do have pot holes though

You forget that the Taxes collected per linear mile of road, paths, etc is much much higher in an Urban area because of density.

Also, urban motorists pay a lot more in Car Tax per mile travelled and this tax is a part of general taxation. Many roads in Dublin pay a lot of car tax with very little or no spending on their road.
(No car tax and instead all car related tax put on fuel would be different so more you drive, the more you pay)

Probably going way from Topic. EOD................

Last edited:
Incidentally I pay the same property tax as a bog standard 3 bed semi in Dublin but I dont have cycle lanes, public transport etc. I do have pot holes though.

The property tax is based on the value. If you have a bog standard 3 bed semi in an area which does not have broadband, you are paying a lot less in property tax that someone with a 3 bed semi in Dublin.

Back