Why dont Airtricity advertise?

I didn't read all of the posts so apolgies if this has been mentioned.

I saw an ad for Airtricity in today's Irish Indo (6/2/09)

Bord Gais are moving into the Electricity Market for residential customers very shortly. An agency in Harolds X are interviewing for field sales reps at the moment so people will be knocking on your door to sign you up very shortly. Get this though, the basic salary is 25 k a year and the commission is 85 per cent. I spoke to the agency and apparently the targets are very reachable. I reckon it will be an easy one to sell as was Esat when they competed with Telecom about 9 years ago. Also there is supposed to be a scottish energy company entering the market later on in the year and Bord Gais are getting in there now before the competition.

I am only after signing up to Airtricity. The 10% saving on unit electricity for domestic users is only possible provided you sign up to direct debit payment and 'bill leveling' ie. they will provide you with the same bill each month - averaged out based on your current yearly useage and adjusted as per periodic meter readings.
However, be aware that there has been some bad press for customer service reported. A current customer reported that they would not offer him the new deal until he threatened to switch back to ESB.

you can get 9% discount without doing the bill levellling.

Bord Gais are moving into the Electricity Market for residential customers very shortly.

From midday today you can switch to Bord Gáis for your electricity according to RTE. It's prices will be at least 10% lower than the ESB, for the next three years.

Also there is supposed to be a scottish energy company entering the market later on in the year ..

Aren't Airtricity Scottish owned ? Would this be another Scottish provider ?

Interesting figures in [broken link removed], apart from the partisan political polemic.

Also, hasn't the Electricity Regulator being raising ESB prices for no good reason, other than to make the market attractive for competition ?

Aren't Airtricity Scottish owned ? Would this be another Scottish provider ?...Also, hasn't the Electricity Regulator being raising ESB prices for no good reason, other than to make the market attractive for competition ?

Yes, Airtricity is owned by Scottish And Southern Energy - a very progressive and successful company.

Yes, the Regulator needs to introduce competition into the domestic market and so ESB's prices will remain higher than the new entrants - Bord Gais and Airtricity - for quite some time to come. Otherwise, there would be no competition. It ain't competition in the true sense of course: ESB has it's hands tied behind its back.

Nor is ESB worried about this. It is fully in agreement with the Regulator on the need to reduce its dominant position in the domestic market. It fully expects that it will lose hundreds of thousands of domestic customers over the next few years. Contrary to various media reports ESB is not in the least bit shocked at the migration of several thousand customers already to Bord Gais. It is surprised that it hasn't happened before now.

So, what is in it for ESB? When it is no longer the dominant player the Regulatory shackles will be taken off and it will be allowed to compete in the true sense with the other suppliers. It will then be able to compete on price and customer service will be the only real differentiator between the different companies. The Irish electricity customer can only benefit from this.

Regards,

Fnergg

I agree it will be interesting to see if/how long before the Regulator reacts.

I'll be also interested to see whether the linkes of Viridian and Endessa, will make a move into the domestic market (elec and/or gas) as well or whether they'll stick to their current commercial markets.

Still its all good for the bank balance at the end of the day..

Bord Gais are moving into the Electricity Market for residential customers very shortly. An agency in Harolds X are interviewing for field sales reps at the moment so people will be knocking on your door to sign you up very shortly. Get this though, the basic salary is 25 k a year and the commission is 85 per cent. I spoke to the agency and apparently the targets are very reachable. I reckon it will be an easy one to sell as was Esat when they competed with Telecom about 9 years ago. Also there is supposed to be a scottish energy company entering the market later on in the year and Bord Gais are getting in there now before the competition.

Can some one explain "the commission is 85 per cent". Is it of the 25K

i need to arrange to get an electric supplier for our new build. would anyone know please who the cheapest supplier is in the irish market, ie . Bord Gais, Airtricity, ESB. we are based in the UK so not familiar with the energy market in Ireland and we do not require a gas supplier (electric only). Thanks in advance. Mosstown

i need to arrange to get an electric supplier for our new build. would anyone know please who the cheapest supplier is in the irish market, ie . Bord Gais, Airtricity, ESB. we are based in the UK so not familiar with the energy market in Ireland and we do not require a gas supplier (electric only). Thanks in advance. Mosstown

you'll need to contact esb networks - they control all the infrastructure, meter reading etc etc. then you can choose who to buy your supply from - esb supply, airtricity or bord gais

[broken link removed]

If you are not going to use gas - than Airtricity will be the cheapest if you pay by DD and opt for their payment plan - where you spread the payments over 12 months. Not a massive difference between the 3 suppliers - but every little helps ...
As Mosstown said - ESB will be your first contact to arrange connection. After you are connected and getting bills - then you can opt to switch to another supplier.

Electricity Prices

I've wondered about the lack of advertisement myself, considering the efforts that Bord Gais, the savings are actually much better than BG which are time limited to first year or two while airtricity are 13% regardless, I changed myself about six months ago and am very happy with the service, electricity bills weren't that high in first place so savings aren't massive but I feel better with being responsible for less pollution.
It will be interesting to see how the oncoming carbon tax will have an effect

And Gillarosa even though I don't work for them I actively recommend them to people I know, much better for everyone in the long run

electricity bills weren't that high in first place so savings aren't massive but I feel better with being responsible for less pollution.
It will be interesting to see how the oncoming carbon tax will have an effect

And Gillarosa even though I don't work for them I actively recommend them to people I know, much better for everyone in the long run

Airtricity ads - without doubt some of the most misleading advertising currently out there.

Little children telling you how airtricity are great because they get their power from renewable energy resources. This is completely misleading. Irelands electricity market is a gross pool market - generators bid into the pool and suppliers then buy from it. Physical contracts between generators and suppliers are not allowed.

Therefore Airtricity are selling the same electricity as Bord Gais and ESB. Their claims that their energy is somehow greener assumes that electrons from wind farms are somehow biased towards their domestic customers!! Ludicrous.

I had someone knocking at my door last night about Airtricity.

Made no mention of how their energy was greener, just that with bord gas that the prices will be going up after six months but they promise to always be 10% cheaper.

And that in a few months time they will be providing gas aswell so i could make even more savings.

Nice guy compared to some could clearly see I wasn't interested in moving just yet i had only just switch to bord gas. Told me info in a few mins and that was that. Brownie points for him for not trying over and over again to sign me up, so when they do start to provide gas i'll look into it further.

Airtricity ads - without doubt some of the most misleading advertising currently out there.

Little children telling you how airtricity are great because they get their power from renewable energy resources. This is completely misleading. Irelands electricity market is a gross pool market - generators bid into the pool and suppliers then buy from it. Physical contracts between generators and suppliers are not allowed.

Therefore Airtricity are selling the same electricity as Bord Gais and ESB. Their claims that their energy is somehow greener assumes that electrons from wind farms are somehow biased towards their domestic customers!! Ludicrous.

Didn't see any of those ads myself, of course everyone understands that the actual KW of electricity comes out of the national grid so therefore impossible to decipher who or what generated it , what is important is that the amount of KW I use and how much Airtricity pump into the national grid are related ,85% of airtricitys electricity is generated by renewable sources.
The actual unit is irrelevant only the end result, never heard anyone say any different.

Back