Why dont Airtricity advertise?

thespecialon

Hi,

Firstly as backgrond to this when I heard ESB had announced a 3.5% pay increase for staff,i was sickened - we need to be reducing costs!! If we can provide cheaper utilities is will encourage more investment ffrom companies abroad(As well as help keep companies here),helping the whole country!!This fact seems to be lost on ESB

Anyhow this prompted me to look around for alternatives to ESB..I came across Airtricity,they claim I cam make a 10% saving on ESB(I am a residental customer) if I agree to a few simple rules - Electronic Bill,Setup Direct Debit + Flat Rate(Monthly bills stay around same amount) + Monthly Bills.

Nothing major there so I am currently in the process of moving to Airtricity...This looks like a win win for me, vote with my feet by moving away from ESB and saving of 10% which is around 200Eur a year to me.I know my electricity is still in theory provided by the ESB but still makes me feel somewhat better...

My question is really,why dont airtricity advertise more? I have seem nothing about them in the press,TV etc Or is there some big catch to them that I am missing??

I am sure there would be lots more people like me who would move away from ESB if they knew they could?

By the way I have no affiliation to Airtricity!!Just a serious dislike for ESB after this latest pay increase

T.

Fair play.. Dont know what the story is here, they dont seem to try too hard as a private company. I am going to have a look myself..

As far as I'm aware they only take on Business accounts at this time, not residential.

from the link

Renewable energy firm [broken link removed] hopes to attract 500,000 residential electricity and gas customers in the Republic over the next five years after re-entering that domestic market following a three-year hiatus.

have you asked yourself why electricity in this country is so expensive ?, we used to have the second cheapest electricity in europe, now we are second most expensive,
but why ?

competition

but to have competition we needed more companies providing electricity, but they needed a margin

hence prices had to rise , to encorage companies to enter the irish market,
so without the esb necessaraly asking for it the regulator pushed up prices

so this would have automatically raised esb"s profits and as such and having signed up to the pay agreements the esb were obliged to increas the wages

so you can thank mary harney, charlie mcreavy and their free market friends for having to pay your e200+ extra
did you phone bill get any smaller after eircom was given away to those asset strippers

did you phone bill get any smaller after eircom was given away to those asset strippers

Yes, substantially smaller, and for that much smaller bill, I get far better service. Telecom Eireann, when it was owned by the State, simply ripped off the public. It also took weeks, if not months, to install phone lines.

Technology has also bypassed the likes of Telecom Eireann. People can now communicate using mobiles from a range of operators for a fraction of the cost of having a landline.

am i right in thinking any price reductions passed by the energy regulator will have to be honoured by both Airtricity & ESB...wouldnt like to change and then see ESB reduce their rates to squeeze the competition.

that is correct bamboozle, the regulator will tell the utilities what the price per unit will be

Yes, substantially smaller, and for that much smaller bill, I get far better service. Telecom Eireann, when it was owned by the State, simply ripped off the public. It also took weeks, if not months, to install phone lines.

Technology has also bypassed the likes of Telecom Eireann. People can now communicate using mobiles from a range of operators for a fraction of the cost of having a landline.

You are talking about a problem that was over 15 years ago.

The question today should be do we have a cheap world class telecommunication service, and have TE invested in broadband infrastructure and facilitated local loop unbundling. We have lagged on all indices in this respect. The State has had to intervene in funding broadband infrastructure in more rural areas, and people consider themselves lucky to have an expensive 1 GB connection. Up to relatively recently this was not available in some places 20 miles from Dublin. Meanwhile, places like the UK and Japan are moving to 50 GB and 100 GB connections. All this in the context of Ireland inc. trying to become a knowledge economy, and reports back in the 90s indicating that a world class telecommunications infrastructure was essential for this.

not exactly competition if they are the same price, didn't prices have to go up to allow competition be able to compete?

No, I'm a domestic customer. If you read the Indo article it makes it clear that they want 500,000 DOMESTIC customers.

Thank you for your little petulant shout. You may notice the post with the link to the article was a mere few minutes prior to mine. I have read it now and I am confused. The representative of Airtricity claims to both 'slash 10% off the price of electricity' and 'match any price reduction' the ESB introduce after Airtricty re-enter the domestic market, a few years after departing it and dumping 8,000 Customers.

Also, you don't work for Airtricity by any chance do you?

Yes, I spend 8 hours a day in Airtricity's human-sized hamster wheel. How do you think all that lovely electricity gets generated?

Cool! get running then, all those potential new Customers will have kettles to boil!

Just to correct a few anomalies, I see listed here

The regulator defines the tariff that must be charged by the former monopoly provider of electricity. This is termed the PES (Public Electricity Supply) tariff and is currently provided by ESB
A similar concept exists for Bord Gais, being the same gas supplier

More info is here is you wish to read further
http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=6f596ad4-ec93-45d6-934f-3d5a593d7fd1

Anyone else with an electricity license can in effect a charge variation as they see fit. 2008 saw the introduction of the Single Electricity Market for wholesale electricity purchases which means that both wholesale and retail electricity providers now buy and sell from a gross pool.
I would be expecting any company in the market to begin to offer either discounts on the PES tariffs or revised structures over the coming years as competitio increases.

Lots more info here for anyone who is still awake
http://www.allislandmarket.com/

I work in the industry rather than for either of the company mentioned although I did sign up with Airtricity through word of month a few months ago when they announced they would undercut the ESB PES tariff.

Back