Why are gangsters being informed their lives are at risk?

Wishes

I find it absurd that gangsters and criminals alike are being informed by the authorities that their lives maybe at risk etc. Why would the powers that be inform the criminal fraternity of their potential demise? Why do we feel the need to protect the criminal?

The latest spat of deaths across the country involving drug overdoses have given way for our media to warn addicts about the lethal heroin that seems to be doing the rounds. The last time I checked; such a substance was illegal in this country. So why do we continue to nanny our addicts?

Some years ago a serious crime was committed against my friend and myself. We were lucky to have survived the attack. Not once were we informed that there were people in our community that were previously trialed for murder and that they could be a potential threat to OUR lives. Why as two law abiding citizens were we not informed but yet the authorities will warn a gangster that he/she maybe an intended target.

I'm sorry about the rant but this is something I have been noticing for some time.

These people probably know their lives are in danger anyway, the nature of the activity they have got themselves mixed up in. I guess the Gardai probably feel they are their to serve and protect and have a legal requirement to inform citizens if they are at risk? I don't know.

The addicts are a different matter. Again probably in the State's interest to try to protect their people. Some may call it natural selection and if you want to inject illegal substances into yourself then you take whatever risks come with that.

I can see why you would be angry that some scumbag did what they did to you, but you can hardly expect the Gardai to go around communities and say "just to let you know some rough bugger just moved into a gaff a few hundred yards from you, watch yourself". They would have to tell a large section of the country about people with criminal records.

But I understand your rant.

Recreational drug users, who were being warned about a recent batch of heroin, are usually not considered 'gangsters' or 'scumbags'.

While I understand that you don't care about the lives of people you see as doing something wrong, this news hopefully saved a few lives and made people think about the risks. What about young people out partying who may have been tempted to try heroin for the first time? Maybe that saved their lives and that would be enough to justify this public announcement in my eyes.

Recreational drug users, who were being warned about a recent batch of heroin, are usually not considered 'gangsters' or 'scumbags'.

While I understand that you don't care about the lives of people you see as doing something wrong, this news hopefully saved a few lives and made people think about the risks. What about young people out partying who may have been tempted to try heroin for the first time? Maybe that saved their lives and that would be enough to justify this public announcement in my eyes.

I'm with d2x2 here. The last thing drug abusers need to be labelled is "gangsters and scumbags." These people need help, afterall they have a serious illness. We all deserve a chance with life. I bet you cannot find a drug addict who wants to be in the state he is like smokers dont want to smoke and given the hindsight option now would never have taken the first smoke.

I am a less lenient on criminals being warned by the Gardaí of imminent threats to their criminal lives. I dont know why the Gardaí warn criminals, but I reckon there is the chance of obtaining intelligence in the war against crime but to be honest I dont know.

Last edited:
You see that's the thing about smack heads and druggies,they are at best a nuisance at their worst they are standing in your living room ripping up cushions looking for cash,holding a blood filled syringe to a shopkeepers throat or robbing handbags in the street off little old dears on the way back from collecting their pensions.

Not a great deal of sympathy for them,even the stupidest of them must have realised heroin wasn't going to be a happy ever after ending for them.

As for the Gardai warning them?they should just leave them to it and spend as little resources as possible investigating the deaths of these animals.

Knuttell - your post was callous. Unfortunately, I find myself agreeing with you.

I agree with Knuttell. For anybody that disagrees, have you ever had your home broken into by a drug user?

Heroin is illegal so yes users are criminals.

Some years ago a serious crime was committed against my friend and myself. We were lucky to have survived the attack. Not once were we informed that there were people in our community that were previously trialed for murder and that they could be a potential threat to OUR lives. Why as two law abiding citizens were we not informed but yet the authorities will warn a gangster that he/she maybe an intended target.
This is why some credit is due to the tabloid papers that expose dangerous criminals in our midst along with photographs so we at least know what they look like.

The Sunday World, not a paper I would ever buy but got to read at the weekend, exposed [broken link removed] who is currently on holiday in Kinsale. He is a repeat offender who has been jailed numerous times for similar crimes.

I agree with you that we should know where these people are.

I agree with Knuttell. For anybody that disagrees, have you ever had your home broken into by a drug user?

Heroin is illegal so yes users are criminals.
My house was broken into by drug users. They stole everything that wasn’t nailed down including my wife’s engagement ring and a broach that belonged to my grandmother. On a previous occasion I disturbed burglars while they were gathering our possessions, with my family asleep upstairs.
I don’t consider these people less than human and I don’t think their lives are worth less than mine. I also don’t think that they deserve to die for breaking into a house.
If a person’s life is in danger why would the police not let them know? It is their duty to prevent crimes and murder is a crime.

My house was broken into by drug users. They stole everything that wasn’t nailed down including my wife’s engagement ring and a brooch that belonged to my grandmother. On a previous occasion I disturbed burglars while they were gathering our possessions, with my family asleep upstairs.
I don’t consider these people less than human and I don’t think their lives are worth less than mine. I also don’t think that they deserve to die for breaking into a house.
If a person’s life is in danger why would the police not let them know? It is their duty to prevent crimes and murder is a crime.
well said purple, for once i agree with you:)

Purple. You are clearly a better human being than I am -and from your many posts I know you are a decent guy.
I have no doubt that your life is worth far more than the person who invaded your home and stole everything.

Whilst I don't think death is an appropriate sentence for a non-violent crime of burglary, the fact is that, increasingly, hard-drug users are a danger to the life and health of good honest people. And ,generally, are a threat to society as a whole. The hard-drug pushers are even worse.

Should one not one defend oneself, one's family and society against such dangerous scum ?

Part of that defence , in my (cruel and callous )opinion is that our guardians -the police - shouldn't divert their limited resources from protecting us in order to protect any single one of them.

Pluus, if more of them were to die taking or selling drugs would this not have the beneficial effect of dissuading others to get involved with this vile business ?

I can remember a radio interview by the late Jonathan Philbin Bowman on being asked why he had sympathy with the person who mugged him in New York and he replied that the mugger needed the money more than he (JPB) did.

I am not trying to defend what heroin addicts do to supply their habit, but I am giving a perspective on the situation. I dont believe a heroin addict wants to be a heroin addict and through some misguidance or whatever has found himself in the unfortunate position. Very few of the crime lords are in the addicts position and seem largely to get away with their crimes.

The addicts need help not execution. We all know that "execution" whether self inflicted or by the state was seldom a deterrent against serious crime. I am not saying that the addicts who conduct themselves in a criminal way should get away scott free either.

I can remember a radio interview by the late Jonathan Philbin Bowman on being asked why he had sympathy with the person who mugged him in New York and he replied that the mugger needed the money more than he (JPB) did.

Bizarre in the extreme,what you have you hold, anyone attempting to help themselves to what is mine would find me less than forgiving or cooperative in their endeavour,I certainly would not be shrugging my shoulders and justifying their criminal activity.

Thats the problem with Irish society,well intentioned,politically correct liberals who haven't a clue about the dynamics of how things actually work or don't work in the real world,the real pity is many of them are the key influencers of our farcical judicial system.

This is an affirmation of humanity and perspective, not the view of "politically correct liberals who haven't a clue about the dynamics of how things actually work". Well said, Purple.

Didn't know we had so many armchair "hang 'em and flog 'em" types on AAM. I hope none of your own sons and daughters ever becomes addicted to heroin.

Should one not one defend oneself, one's family and society against such dangerous scum ?

If my life or the life of a family member or loved one was in danger I would have no hesitation in using force, up to and including killing someone, but that’s not what we are talking about.
The reason the victims of crimes don’t determine the sentence is because they lack perspective. If someone attacked one of my children I’d want to kill them. That’s not proportionate but it’s understandable. Society cannot function without that proportionality and the state should not brutalise or kill it’s own citizens; It’s morally wrong and socially counterproductive.

It turned from gangser scumbags to druggie scumbags pretty quickly, but at least the common ground is a complete lack of humanity.

Maybe the reason the Gardai alerted the gangster to the threats is that murder and a realistic threat of a murder is still a crime, no matter who is threatened or killed. So maybe it's kind of the thing, as guardians of the peace, that they have to prevent, you know, legally like. I'm no big city lawyer, but i would have thought that their charter extends to each and every citizen. I really, really do not want to live in a place where we empower the Gardai to determine who lives and who dies. But some do it turns out.

Plus wouldn't it be great for another ganster scumbag to be shot down in front of his kid again like the last few? What better way to teach the guy who's now dead and doesn't know anything, than to continue the cycle of hatred and revenge by having an 11 year-old see their dad shot dead.

Plus isn't it much better that Gardai put their resources into preventing a murder than letting it be and us, the tax payer, footing the bill for the much more expensive murder investigation and inevtiable security at a funeral.

I completely agree about junkies though, it's true every single one of them deserves what they get and every single one of them is a criminal and will break into your house and probably muder your entire family for an X-Box or just a tin of tuna (in brine). I have absolutely no facts to back that up and in fact most actual evidence points to the complete opposite, but I choose to wish a very painful and slow poisoning on these people via tainted drugs because I'm sure everyone of them specifically chose to leave ordinary decent society of their own freewill in order to become a drug addict and a leach on my taxes. I mean sure, the inevitable rush to hospitalise and treat people, or just the effort of chucking their poisned stiff corpses into the back of a bin lorry, would cost infinitely more than simply warning them to be careful, that's not the point though, they hang around bus stops and streets and boardwalks and make me nervous.

The Irish judicial system sets swingeing sentences on those found guilty of importing & distributing illegal drugs & takes a more benevolent view of those convicted of crimes associated with addiction to such drugs - an entirely correct stance in my view.

A generalisation I know - but heroin seems to traditionally have taken root in areas in our cities where due to the cumulative effects of poor educational standards , unemployment , isolation & desperation addiction has become rife.

Take a simple walk down Talbot Street where the sight of wrecked human beings should surely first provoke the thought - " God I'm glad that's not me " rather than " surely there must be some way of getting rid of these people "

As for warning criminals of death threats I also am of the view that law of the land & the upkeep of such law as applied by the Gardai applies to all citizens - radical I know !

I really would like to know when terms such as " well intentioned " , " politically correct " & " liberal " became pejorative terms ?

Back