Why are Dublin Newspapers €1.50 here but only €1.10 in NI?

Binomial

Hi,

Ben Dunne posed this question on Eamonn Dunphys show this am on Newstalk 106. Does any one know the answer?

Why are Dublin Newspapers €1.50 here but only €1.10 in NI?

BiNomial

Rip Off Ireland I suppose...

Last time I checked the Indo & Irish Times were both marked "75p sterling area"

Partially explained by the 13.5% vat rate here and zero rate in the UK, would have thought that Dunphy would have an awareness of this having worked in newspapers.
I'd also imagine they've calculated the drop in sales in the NI that would occur if they were to raise the price.

Thanks for the answers.

I suspect (but I cant be certain) there is a element of 'dumping' excess copies across the border so in order to maintain their margins in their main markets in the Republic.

From OandA.com
Wednesday, November 9, 2005 0.75 British Pound = 1.11012 Euro

Applying VAT at 13.5% results in a selling price of €1.26

BiNomial

I think I heard someone from one of the newspapers say in a radio interview that
they have dropped the price in NI, to compete. The price on UK papers is so much
lower, because of their higher circulation, that they do no think that they would
sell any at £1, so have dropped the price to 75p.

I wonder how the Indo in particular would react if they found another company doing this?

I used to buy the Indo at €1.50 a day but realised that The Times (English) at €0.90 (was €0.80 until a few weeks ago) is not only less money per day but is a much better read. (for sport and world news especially)

Yes absolutely, guilty as charged.

Relevant though to the topic. I don't go around spamming willy nilly

You really should have disclosed your in the original post though... :( What exactly is your involvement with that site?

Sorry Clubman, never knew such a declaration existed.

I'm a Shareholder and Sales and Marketing Manager.

It's Ireland's First OnLine Magazine Store.

The point is relevant to the thread though. $9.99 for a month (31 issues) which is $0.32 each of in and around 25 cents a copy comapred to the print version of €1.50 a copy.

Re: Why are Dublin Newspapers €1.50 here but only €1.10 in NI?

Culchie said:
Yes absolutely, guilty as charged.

Relevant though to the topic. I don't go around spamming willy nilly

I didn't 'charge' you with anything, nor did I accuse you of spamming, I merely asked a question that didn't infer anything.

Culchie said:
Sorry Clubman, never knew such a declaration existed.

I'm a Shareholder and Sales and Marketing Manager.

It's Ireland's First OnLine Magazine Store.

The point is relevant to the thread though. $9.99 for a month (31 issues) which is $0.32 each of in and around 25 cents a copy comapred to the print version of €1.50 a copy.
Thanks for clarifying that. You should include something similar if/when you post a link to that site again in the future.

For the record, my work email address (because it's displayed as such on our website, and therefore easy pickings for 'bots') regularly gets spam from www.magazines365.com — along with hundreds of others whose website I've never visited, much less given the addy out to! Every goddamn day starts with patiently going through the 'Alt + A + J + B' dance routine! :( (and yes, that's with all sorts of spam filters/firewall protection in place!)

DrMoriarty said:
For the record, my work email address (because it's displayed as such on our website, and therefore easy pickings for 'bots') regularly gets spam from www.magazines365.com — along with hundreds of others whose website I've never visited, much less given the addy out to! Every goddamn day starts with patiently going through the 'Alt + A + J + B' dance routine! :( (and yes, that's with all sorts of spam filters/firewall protection in place!)

Dr Moriarty,

I can absolute 100% guarantee that we are not sending out spam, so if you are receiving mail from Magazines365.com there must be something amiss e.g a virus or something.
This is the first I've heard about this from anyone, and we don't do e-mail marketing yet, as we only launched in October.

You can contact me via the private message service to sort this out, but once again, I can categorically say you have not received 'spam'.

I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused unknown to us.

It's also possible that the address is being spoofed but I presume you know that - checking the headers and/or using one of those online spam tracing tools to analyse the raw email might help.

Thanks, I've sent a PM to Dr M, and asked him to forward me any mail he may receive, and we'll try and get it sorted.

As I said, it definitely isn't 'spam'

Back