Who will form the next government? - The results

If you add in their support in the North, they are head and shoulders the most popular party on the island.
Absolutely. And a dire warning to the 75% on the island, who are repulsed by everything that SF/IRA stand for, of what awaits them in a "united" Ireland.

SF is shouting out loud that they want to be in government. But I would guess that they have no intention of going into government.

SF will argue that they couldn't accept the terms on offer.

They would be much better off in opposition to some sort of FF/FG combo.

Brendan

SF is shouting out loud that they want to be in government. But I would guess that they have no intention of going into government.

SF will argue that they couldn't accept the terms on offer.

They would be much better off in opposition to some sort of FF/FG combo.

Brendan

Then we vote again and SF could end up even more seats if they get more candidates in. I can't see any alternative other than FF/SF. Otherwise we go back go back to the polls and I think we will end up similar situation or worse where SF will get enough seats to make a SF and other left parties alliance work.

I agree though. I am not sure how much they actually want to be in Government.... FF/FG can't happen. FF paid the price for confidence and supply agreement. A full alliance will lead to extinction.

And people made rude comments about Trump and Brexit being voted in.

I think all the knee-jerk anti British stuff that came out during Brexit, part of which the government fuelled with their donning of the green jersey, the virtual sneering from Phil Hogan ... when you stir stuff like that up it's gonna rebound in SF's favour.

The Shinners will have to go into government. SF/FF is the most likely option. FF will be gone within a decade if they do.
it would be the other way around, sf would be destroyed if they go into power with ff. look at the history of other parties that went in with ff, all ended up bad. ff are a toxic party and they would try to drag sf towards the center. thats not the change that people voted for.

And people made rude comments about Trump and Brexit being voted in.

And I will make rude comments about this vote as well. We have voted in a party that is in Government in the North and has a crumbling health service. They are part of the Government that has decided that a Irish Language Act is an important enough issue to end power sharing for a couple of years rather than representing their people and fixing their everyday problems. So we elect them to sort out our health service. Ah democracy.....

it would be the other way around, sf would be destroyed if they go into power with ff. look at the history of other parties that went in with ff, all ended up bad. ff are a toxic party and they would try to drag sf towards the center. thats not the change that people voted for.
What change did people vote for?

Any Party that has acted in the National interest has been punished for it. FG under Alan Dukes, the Greens staying in power with FF to get the bailout structured and now FF keeping FG in power through the Brexit negotiations.
SF are a far left party but they are populist and savvy enough to play into the selfish short-termism that a sizable proportion of the electorate fall for. They targeted housing and health and Varadkar was too politically inept to sack both of them two years ago (whether they deserved it or not). Then they bribed the grey voters by telling them that they'd keep the pension age at 65.
No matter what government is put in place we are looking at Bertie style pro-cyclical policies for the next 5-8 years with the resulting calamitous consequences. The people who usually suffer the most when that happens are the people who have the least.

What change did people vote for?

Any Party that has acted in the National interest has been punished for it. FG under Alan Dukes, the Greens staying in power with FF to get the bailout structured and now FF keeping FG in power through the Brexit negotiations.
SF are a far left party but they are populist and savvy enough to play into the selfish short-termism that a sizable proportion of the electorate fall for. They targeted housing and health and Varadkar was too politically inept to sack both of them two years ago (whether they deserved it or not). Then they bribed the grey voters by telling them that they'd keep the pension age at 65.
No matter what government is put in place we are looking at Bertie style pro-cyclical policies for the next 5-8 years with the resulting calamitous consequences. The people who usually suffer the most when that happens are the people who have the least.
that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it but I still say that going into a coalition to prop up ff would be disastrous for sf. they would end up loosing their core vote forever.

that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it but I still say that going into a coalition to prop up ff would be disastrous for sf. they would end up loosing their core vote forever.
Do SF have a core vote beyond the 10-15% they usually get?

And a dire warning to the 75% on the island, who are repulsed by everything that SF/IRA stand for, of what awaits them in a "united" Ireland

I can't see the 75% having any difficulty forming a coalition to implement the oh-so-sensible and sane policies that has given us a €200bn debt, a housing market failure, never-ending hospital trolley crisis, can you?

I can't see the 75% having any difficulty forming a coalition to implement the oh-so-sensible and sane policies that has given us a €200bn debt, a housing market failure, never-ending hospital trolley crisis, can you?
It was a massive expansion of the State's services and massive increases in the pay of those delivering those services which caused 90% of that debt. Are you suggesting that more taxes with a narrower tax base and more spending in an already overheating economy at full employment will result in a lower debt and a sounder economy?
If so please point out an example of a country which has achieved this in the developed world in the last 50 years. Please don't point to scandinavian countries who have far higher income taxes on low and middle earners, property taxes and a much broader tax base.

Are you suggesting that more taxes with a narrower tax base and more spending in an already overheating economy at full employment will result in a lower debt and a sounder economy?

Huh?? Im suggesting that if the 25% SF is acting as a "dire warning" to the other 75%, then the 75% should have no issue, and be prepared, in whatever shape or form, to enter government to save us from dire of SF and a UI.
Do you agree? If not, why not?

It was a massive expansion of the State's services and massive increases in the pay of those delivering those services which caused 90% of that debt.

Purple

The ordinary budget deficits accounted for only 80% , not 90%, of the €200 bn debt.

The bailout of the depositors and bondholders in Anglo and Irish Nationwide was responsible for about 15%,

AIB, ptsb and EBS was another 5% some of which we will probably recover.

Brendan

Huh?? Im suggesting that if the 25% SF is acting as a "dire warning" to the other 75%, then the 75% should have no issue, and be prepared, in whatever shape or form, to enter government to save us from dire of SF and a UI.
Do you agree? If not, why not?
So you are not answering the question.

Purple

The ordinary budget deficits accounted for only 80% , not 90%, of the €200 bn debt.

The bailout of the depositors and bondholders in Anglo and Irish Nationwide was responsible for about 15%,

AIB, ptsb and EBS was another 5% some of which we will probably recover.

Brendan
Okay, 85% net (and increasing as our debt increases).

Back