Who should have a right to stand for the Presidency?

TheBigShort

As a side, I wonder if the general public are mostly unaware of the requirements to get a name on the ballot for the President?
Im thinking the referendum that failed to reduce the legal age from 35 to 18.
I know one person who was concerned that some teenage pop sensation could one day get elected on a wave of populism.Using the office to further career in entertainment rather than exercising the duties of the President, he voted against the age reduction.
Personally, im of the view that if anyone, regardless of their age, can convince a county council or members of the Oireachtas to put their name forward on then ballot, then I think they deserve the opportunity.

As a side, I wonder if the general public are mostly unaware of the requirements to get a name on the ballot for the President?
Im thinking the referendum that failed to reduce the legal age from 35 to 18.
I know one person who was concerned that some teenage pop sensation could one day get elected on a wave of populism.Using the office to further career in entertainment rather than exercising the duties of the President, he voted against the age reduction.
Personally, im of the view that if anyone, regardless of their age, can convince a county council or members of the Oireachtas to put their name forward on then ballot, then I think they deserve the opportunity.

I'd be less bothered by this specific age restriction, than by the cumbersome process to get on the ballot.

Given the ceremonial nature of the office, I don't think the 35 year old limit is any great hindrance. Anyone under 35 who went for it should be discouraged!

Sean Gallagher got 500,000 first preference votes last time. It's absurd he may not be on the ballot this time.
I'm not proposing a free for all, but just throwing ideas out there - maybe 1-2 councils should be enough, 7 members of the Oireachtas, and maybe automatic eligibility if you have been full cabinet minister, supreme court judge etc

I think that the screening process should be much more demanding. It should be like the American system where candidates would have to go through a series of primaries. Anyone could contest the primaries, but the election itself would be limited only to statesmen and stateswomen of the highest calibre with an unimpeachable reputation and sense of dignity.

Brendan

I think that the screening process should be much more demanding. It should be like the American system where candidates would have to go through a series of primaries. Anyone could contest the primaries, but the election itself would be limited only to statesmen and stateswomen of the highest calibre with an unimpeachable reputation and sense of dignity.

Is this your secret plot to ensure there is no President? Because I don't know who we have here who fits that description!
And it didn't seem to work in the US either given all the scandals Clinton & Trump are caught up in...

Brendan
We have a non-executive with limited power who is righty constrained by the Government.
The Americans elect a king every 4 years.

Given that the President gets a pension of €141,000 a year and Garda protection for the rest of their life bringing the cost per year after they leave office to at least €500,000 I wouldn't be a big fan of a 21 year old serving 7 years and then costing the State €35,000,000 until they pop their clogs.

Brendan

This should apply to all people seeing election to Dáil Éireann and the Sentate not just those in the race to become President. Hands Up those in the Dáil and Senate who qualify!

Given that the President will a pension of €141,000 a year and Garda protection for the rest of their life bringing the cost per year after they leave office to at least €500,000 I wouldn't be a big fan of a 21 year old serving 7 years and then costing the State €35,000,000 until they pop their clogs.

FG and what is left of FF? which for the most part have become FG people support the same canididate,

People who vote FF? will change to FG at the next election weather FF? like it or not seeing there is no difference just the Dublin leader has out smarted another cork Man again,

For now FG/FF? are supporting a candidate who will be 78 next April and is due to retire when he is almost 85 so he is due to retire when he is 84 why not change the age for payout of the President retirement pension to 84 seeing FF? and what is to become FG are all into saving money for the taxpayer,

Last edited:
This should apply to all people seeing election to Dáil Éireann and the Sentate not just those in the race to become President. Hands Up those in the Dáil and Senate who qualify!
I think it is already happening there are few Dail Eireann and retired union people who would love to run for President but they know they will have to account for there past actions ,
:)

Used to always annoy me when I was a young wan that you had to be 35. Now I’m 35 I think it should be at least 50.

I'd have a minimum age of 60 and limit it to one 7 year term.
And proof that they have a terminal illness or won't take the Garda protection after they retire.

What's going to happen to Michael D when he retires, other than getting lost in some high grass?

Is Mary Mc going to keep getting her Garda detail when she's working in her new job in Scotland?

While I think that the present system of nomination by 20 Oireachtas members or 4 councils is reasonable, after watching the candidates I think the councils should have exercised more discretion in supporting some of their nominees.

My prediction for this election. The big take away will be that solid SF support is much lower than opinion polls suggest.

They are polling at 24% for a general election, an actual presidential vote in single digits will do them some damage.

I've previously posted about the cost of providing Garda protection/ Garda drivers to former Presidents. I was incorrect; that was removed for all former Taoisigh and Presidents by Minister Alan Shatter in 2011. They now get drivers provided on State occasions.

While I think that the present system of nomination by 20 Oireachtas members or 4 councils is reasonable, after watching the candidates I think the councils should have exercised more discretion in supporting some of their nominees.

My prediction for this election. The big take away will be that solid SF support is much lower than opinion polls suggest.

They are polling at 24% for a general election, an actual presidential vote in single digits will do them some damage.
+1 cremeegg, I think it is very clear some candidates are in this purely for profile knowing they have absolutely no chance of winning. It is demeaning the office imho and the councils should bear some responsibility for this. I'd agree as well that the results could damage SF although I think NiRiadha might get beyond single digits, possibly not by much though and nowhere near where the party is polling.

For what it's worth, this is my take on the candidates.

Peter Casey: The neck on this lad running for president. Clearly he's just in it for a few lines on his cv and to stir the pot a bit whenever he gets the chance.
Joan Freeman: She might grow as the campaign goes on but right now she seems way out of her comfort zone. I admire her achievements to date but she is not someone I would consider for president.
Gavin Duffy: Clearly Gavin thinks he is worthy of being president ... I'm not sure too many others share his view. Another who has more to gain professionally from just being there.
Liadh NiRiadha: She comes across as an experienced politician and probably had to run once SF dug their heels in to demand an election was held. Unfortunately for her, Martin McGuinness got less than 14% the last time around and to paraphrase a famous quote, she is no Martin McGuinness!
Sean Gallagher: You lost the last time out Sean and obviously feel sore about that. In the time since then you have done nothing to garner support from the people and you're refusing to go on debates. Quite why anyone should vote for you this time around I don't know.
Michael D: Said last time around he wouldn't run again, then obviously decided this wasn't a bad life. Showing a certain amount of arrogance this time around not bothering to even show up for some debates. Clearly it's a shoe in that he will win again unless his arrogance leads to some almighty cockup. The biggest question is how many will actually bother to vote.

Back