Who should have a right to stand for the Presidency?

I don’t get Sinn Fein. They were the ones going on about uncontested elections and they had a point. But then they put forward a candidate that would make me support Brexit if that is the caliber of MEP in the EU. Nigel Farage might have been right all along! As for Michael d, he is beyond insufferable to listen too.

As for Michael d, he is beyond insufferable to listen too.
How DARE you say that about Michael D, our President, Moral compass, greatest living poet and role model for all those who seek to live a life of authenticity and virtue.

If I've left anything out I apologise to the President, it is just that I am sometimes blinded by his aura of perfection.

People say he lacks humility but how can he be humble when he has nothing to be humble about?

I can just visualise him now as he looks in the mirror in the morning and he is encouraged to sing. His favourite song must be"oh Lord it's so hard to be humble".

I did a (very scientific) poll this morning in a work canteen.

About half definite Michael D voters, half the rest with Liadh Ni Riada Joan Freemen and Peter Casey doing better than the other dragons.

The big divide among those I spoke to was on age. Anyone over 45 was for Michael D with no regard for the others. The younger people were much more open to considering any candidate.

That may show younger people are more open minded, or maybe just not too bright !

PaddyPower must have their hands on a new poll.

Casey now 2/1 to come second (I'll be ever so happy with that as I've a few bob at 16/1, 12/1 & 9/1!). Value gone with that

Value bet now has to be Higgins 1st Pref 40%-50% 20/1 with Ladbrokes.

Whilst Higgins will win, it will be used by many to say send a message that the government must stop pandering to those who abuse social welfare, take everything and give nothing back.

With the Red C poll showing PBP and Solidarity at 0%, there's a certain change in the air.
Good call

Thankfully Michael D is back for another 7 years as the Nations moral compass.

We’ve also voted to remove blasphemy (a victimless crime) from the constitution, thank God.

Go on enlighten us. You know you want to.
You can get a "What Would This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Do" sticker.
Given that we are all atheists now I want a "What Would Michael D Do" sticker as he's at least as virtuous as This post will be deleted if not edited immediately.

I see some folk trying to play down the Casey vote with comments like "less than a quarter". The fact is that if we exclude the very popular incumbent, Casey got more votes than the other four put together. In fact if MD had been honourable and kept his promise not to stand for a second term Casey would have won on the first count. And when you think that from start off Casey had the least popular profile (1% polls), being a multi millionaire non Irish taxpayer, I would say that sympathy with his winning messages is shared by a majority of populace.

I was going to like the Duke's post above. But I didn't because I don't like it.

However, I do think that it is a better analysis of the Casey phenomenon than anything I have seen elsewhere.

FOT has a good piece in the IT today, which doesn't attempt to analyse Casey's vote, rather comment on it.

FOT has a good piece in the IT today, which doesn't attempt to analyse Casey's vote, rather comment on it.
According to FOT a vote for Casey was a fascist vote. Thus in his worldview Tipperary is 3 times as fascist as enlightened Dun Laoghaire. Itself a very prejudiced assessment. Just maybe it is because Tipperary are at the receiving end of the anti social behaviour.

According to FOT a vote for Casey was a fascist vote. Thus in his worldview Tipperary is 3 times as fascist as enlightened Dun Laoghaire. Itself a very prejudiced assessment. Just maybe it is because Tipperary are at the receiving end of the anti social behaviour.

FOT should look in the mirror if he wants to see a fascist, not Tipperary.

The FOT piece makes the point that where tensions between travelers and settled people have arisen in the past, politicians rather than exploiting those tensions for political gain, have sought to resolve matters.

It is an excellent point.

Where tensions arise in society would you rather your elected representative take sides and inflame feelings to build their own support.

Or would you rather see them act as a bridge between opposing groups.

Where tension is based around policy differences it is reasonable to be a partisan of your beliefs. Where tension revolves around identity that is different.

We have been well served in this regard by our political class for many years. Since Garret perhaps ?

The FOT piece makes the point that where tensions between travelers and settled people have arisen in the past, politicians rather than exploiting those tensions for political gain, have sought to resolve matters.

It is an excellent point.

Where tensions arise in society would you rather your elected representative take sides and inflame feelings to build their own support.

Or would you rather see them act as a bridge between opposing groups.

Where tension is based around policy differences it is reasonable to be a partisan of your beliefs. Where tension revolves around identity that is different.

We have been well served in this regard by our political class for many years. Since Garret perhaps ?

The reaction is because the pendulum has swung too far to the other side.
It's not building a bridge when all the concessions and costs are borne by one side.
Nobody is speaking for the side that picks up the bill.
Feelings aren't being inflamed. They already were and nobody was listening.
It's not being partisan to look for equal application of the law.

Back