Who pays if a medical assessment is required for mortgage protection insurance

Pinoy adventure

Hi

Who pays for a private medical assessment as part of a mortgage protection application ??

If you have any pre existing medical conditions you must declare them,so when the underwriter sees there is conditions they will as for a medical assessment or forms filled in by your GP.
The Gp will charge for the privilege of completing the paperwork for the insurance company.

Once the insurance company receives the form fill in (the Gp won’t release forms until there paid for )only then will the give you a quote or simply won’t offer cover too you even after the costs involved for paying the Gp in the first place.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Are you applying through a broker? I'd recommend you do, because they can not only answer these questions, but also informally find out which insurer is most likely to underwrite based on condition.

If the insurance company want a medical assessment, they'll generally choose the doctor and pay for it.

In the case of a PMAR report that the insurer requests your GP to complete, the insurer also covers the costs.

Last edited:
Is this for mortgage protection life insurance or for mortgage payment protection insurance?
The former aims to clear the mortgage if the borrower dies (or, in some cases, is diagnosed with a terminal illness) - and is normally mandatory for an owner occupier borrower.
The latter is a form of income protection that aims to cover the mortgage repayments in the case of illness and/or loss of income - and is totally optional.
Bear in mind that many of the latter policies are poor value for money and may only pay out in very restricted circumstances (especially if there are exclusions for prior existing conditions) and for limited periods of time.
I would expect that the costs of any medical assessment required for either would be born by the borrower/prospective policy holder.
Who else would you expect to pay?

Are you applying through a broker? I'd recommend you do, because they can not only answer these questions, but also informally find out which insurer is most likely to underwrite based on condition.

If the insurance company want a medical assessment, they'll generally choose the doctor and pay for it.

In the case of a PMAR report that the insurer requests your GP to complete, the insurer also covers the costs.

Yes applying through broker as most insurance companies run a mile with the condition.

The insurance company has requested the person own GP completes the application.

If the company does pay for it surely they have to recoup the costs from the client over the term which in turns bumps up the premium paid ?

Is this for mortgage protection life insurance or for mortgage payment protection insurance?
The former aims to clear the mortgage if the borrower dies (or, in some cases, is diagnosed with a terminal illness) - and is normally mandatory for an owner occupier borrower.
The latter is a form of income protection that aims to cover the mortgage repayments in the case of illness and/or loss of income - and is totally optional.
Bear in mind that many of the latter policies are poor value for money and may only pay out in very restricted circumstances (especially if there are exclusions for prior existing conditions) and for limited periods of time.
I would expect that the costs of any medical assessment required for either would be born by the borrower/prospective policy holder.
It’s mortgage protection policy.
I’m quite surprised the insurance company does pay for it (which is in the hundreds) even if they cannot offer you protection because of the condition.

Last edited:
Yes it’s a requirement to draw down a mortgage.
I think you're getting terminology wrong.

You're saying it's a requirement that you get a policy which will pay an amount monthly if you're unable to work? I've never heard of any mortgages with that condition.

I think you're getting terminology wrong.

You're saying it's a requirement that you get a policy which will pay an amount monthly if you're unable to work? I've never heard of any mortgages with that condition.
It’s a mortgage protection policy which pays off your mortgage if you die.

Yes it’s a requirement to draw down a mortgage.
I was told the answer but didn’t think it was correct hence the reason I asked the question.
Mortgage payment protection insurance is not a requirement for a mortgage.
Mortgage protection life insurance generally is for an owner occupier mortgage.
In some cases a waiver may be possible.

5. Prove you’re uninsurable​

As mentioned at the start of this article, the requirement for mortgage protection is outlined under the 1995 Consumer Credit Act.

However the act also outlines specific cases where cover isn’t required.

Namely, if you’re over 50, are buying a house as an investment, or can prove you’re unable to get insurance, then your lender is able to waive the requirement for mortgage protection.

Usually a refusal from three insurers is considered proof you can’t get insured.

That's not what you said before.
It’s mortgage payment protection.
I clearly explained the difference between the two earlier:

That's not what you said before.

I clearly explained the difference between the two earlier:
My apologies,I was confusing the 2.
They have all ready received letters of refusal from a couple of providers.
This is only 1 individual as part of a joint mortgage application.

Ok.
Are waivers hard come by ?
Is there any standard waiver application?
As per the link that I posted earlier:
Usually a refusal from three insurers is considered proof you can’t get insured.

Unfortunately there are examples of lenders still refusing mortgage applications even in cases where a customer has proven they’re unable to get cover from any insurer.

So have an honest chat with your mortgage broker or mortgage advisor about whether a lender will allow you to get a mortgage or not in the event of you being able to prove you couldn’t get insured.

That makes more sense.
The other type hasn't been available to anyone for years here.

The ability to allow a waiver posted above is only the legal bit - the law allows a bank to give a waiver. The reality can be less straightforward for a lot of people, and every case is reviewed individually looking atvthd full case, so it can be frustrating.

Unfortunately Ulsterbank were probably the most flexible around waivers over the last few years.

Is the person being declined the lower or higher earner?
Have you applied to more than 1 lender for mortgage? You might need to be open to talking to more than 1 about a waiver.

That makes more sense.
The other type hasn't been available to anyone for years here.

The ability to allow a waiver posted above is only the legal bit - the law allows a bank to give a waiver. The reality can be less straightforward for a lot of people, and every case is reviewed individually looking atvthd full case, so it can be frustrating.

Unfortunately Ulsterbank were probably the most flexible around waivers over the last few years.

Is the person being declined the lower or higher earner?
Have you applied to more than 1 lender for mortgage? You might need to be open to talking to more than 1 about a waiver.
The person who is being declined won’t contribute at all to the mortgage.
They have only applied to 1 bank and have loan offer in place for bank.
The higher earner could go it alone on there salary figure.

Back