While, Normally I support the Cyclist . . . .

Education .... the lack of it is the major problem with drivers and cyclists.

Drivers aren't aware of their obligations towards cyclists and vice versa.

The biggest problem I see with regard to the education of cyclists is that there isn't any (formal) training.

We give a child a bike and they learn as they go. Schools could/should have a role here.

The RSA do provide school based (one day) courses and they are very good but it's not enough.

The roads are too busy now for complacency ... from everyone's point of view.

.... Apparently 66% of Daily Mail readers don't either.

Now 70%

Great stuff on education/training etc. on the site you provided:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/education

The subject, your opening and other posts in this thread show very little respect for cyclists as road users.

So why post that cyclists using the road is crazy? Or that all users sharing the road is like a football team trying to share a cupcake?

Leo, your're one guy whose posts I read because you always have something to say. Your posts above are short of the mark. Please read my posts. And I think you're a Moderator

Leo, your're one guy whose posts I read because you always have something to say. Your posts above are short of the mark. Please read my posts. And I think you're a Moderator

Thanks, and I won't pretend I'm always right. I was attempting to understand why you chose the title you did, and seemed to be suggesting in the opening and other posts that the cyclists in question should not have been using the road, saying they were crazy for doing so. If I'm wide of the mark on my interpretation, it seems from other responses that I'm not alone. Please clarify if you feel that doesn't sum up your opinion or reading of the situation in the opening post (where it's not clear if the cyclists were overreacting or had a justifiable reason to complain, did you see the incident and the space allowed?).

There is some confusion because you speak of the need for common sense and respect from all road users towards each other, and this conflicts with some of your other postings. I'd be strongly of the opinion that there isn't enough common sense and respect on the roads, but that is endemic across all road users and to single out any specific grouping is unfair and unhelpful.

Thanks, and I won't pretend I'm always right. I was attempting to understand why you chose the title you did, and seemed to be suggesting in the opening and other posts that the cyclists in question should not have been using the road, saying they were crazy for doing so. If I'm wide of the mark on my interpretation, it seems from other responses that I'm not alone. Please clarify if you feel that doesn't sum up your opinion or reading of the situation in the opening post (where it's not clear if the cyclists were overreacting or had a justifiable reason to complain, did you see the incident and the space allowed?).

There is some confusion because you speak of the need for common sense and respect from all road users towards each other, and this conflicts with some of your other postings. I'd be strongly of the opinion that there isn't enough common sense and respect on the roads, but that is endemic across all road users and to single out any specific grouping is unfair and unhelpful.

Let's recap for a minute. There seems to be some confusion on my stance in this instance. I never said cyclists should not be allowed to use our roads. What's confusing of my view that we need common sense and respect from all road users?

The instance I'm referring to was advertised as a cycle race from a fort in Cork City to another fort in Crosshaven. The section of the road between Carrigaline and Crosshaven is narrow and has a walk/cycle greenway running alongside which was nearly empty on the day in question. This was not a race where a few cyclists squared up to each other and cycled like fury to the destination. The "race" was a slow cycle for most of the participants starting at different times and finishing over several hours.

While I drove the road and after I had stopped at a picnic table I noticed several cyclists waving fists, giving two fingers, shouting etc at motorists. One motorist (a cultivated English tourist) stopped after receiving the abuse and pointed to the greenway next to the road and suggested cyclists would be safer there because of the narrow public road. It was a Sunday and there were other events taking place in Crosshaven. The tourist rang the Gardaí after she felt intimidated by a loud cycling mafia of eejits who thought they owned the road. This was only one of several like incidents. Most of the cyclists and motorists behaved well, but as usual there were minorities who were just bullies and had no regard for any other road user and sought nothing other than attention.

Was the route patrolled by stewards?:- When passing I did see three men together with red flags in Carrigaline who appeared to be doing nothing more than talking to each other.

Was there a Garda presence?:- I noticed one squad car patrolling the Carrigaline - Crosshaven road once. It is likely that there were several patrols after the reports of bullying.

Should the public road have been closed?:- I don't think so. People driving should have entry to Crosshaven.

Should cyclists be obliged to use the greenway on the day of the race?:- I think so, but pedestrians should have been prevented from using it.

Somebody will probably say that the rights of pedestrians are curtailed not being allowed to use the greenway. But, I reckon the common sense option and in the interests of safety, an exception should have been made for the occasion. Furthermore, there should have been a time limit for the "race" from start to finish. It was a fund raiser and cyclists started and finished over many hours.

Like I said earlier, I drive and cycle too. Of course, I have seen stupid motorists, I have seen stupid cyclists and even come across stupid pedestrians on occasions. Nobody is perfect.

These cycle races are becoming more and more popular and that is a good thing. If they are supervised properly, organised well and in advance, time controlled, with a sufficient garda presence there may be fewer problems. Throw in common sense and respect from all and you have a terrific occasion. The alternative is unthinkable.

I hope this clears up any confusion on my opinion. If not please feel free to ask specific questions and I will try to answer.

never said cyclists should not be allowed to use our roads. What's confusing of my view that we need common sense and respect from all road users?

The confusion continues...

Should cyclists be obliged to use the greenway on the day of the race?:- I think so, but pedestrians should have been prevented from using it.

So you think cyclists should be prevented from using a public road just because it may cause minor inconvenience to a small number of motorists. You're even prepared to inconvenience pedestrians and prohibit them from using a greenway just to free up roads for motorists. It's that attitude that somehow motorists are more entitled to the roads than any other class of road user that is the root of much of the conflict between drivers and other road users.

From your description, it sounds like there were more cyclists than motorists using that section of road, yet their rights are still inferior to those of a few car users who (again, just by the sounds of it) were endangering the cyclists by overtaking without due consideration.

But, I reckon the common sense option and in the interests of safety, an exception should have been made for the occasion.

Why doesn't 'common sense' say that we all just share the road as we're entitled to do, and motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike learn to respect each other a little more and obey the road traffic legislation?

Should cyclists be obliged to use the greenway on the day of the race?:- I think so, but pedestrians should have been prevented from using it....

I think you are missing that the not all cyclists are the same. This is basically a sports event. Completely different to people leisurely going down a green way, or indeed commuting cyclists.

I'm not saying where they should be. But please stop lumping all cyclists together. There's lot of different types of cyclists traveling at very different speeds and ability. Its not always appropriate to have them all share in the same space.

Sounds like they picked an unsuitable road for their event. Maybe some drivers didn't give enough room. Who knows.

Leo, with due respect the only person who appears confused is you.

Maybe you could help me out by explaining why you feel the 'common sense' solution is to remove cyclists from a public road they are every bit as entitled to use as motorists, and then restrict pedestrian access to a greenway? Just because the likely minority of those users were inconvenienced slightly? I'm of the opinion the common sense solution is everyone use the route of their choice as they are entitled to, do so in accordance with road traffic legislation and treat each other with a little courtesy and respect. All the argument for segregation does is further the myth that different categories of road users are incapable of sharing the roads.

If I was very driving and came across a sports event in the road ahead of me, id detour around them.

One problem is some road users think they should have priority over others. That goes two ways. People need to relax and learn to co exist equally.

Cyclists numbers are increasing. In some cases they out number motorists on the route. That will only increase as congestion b gets worse.

That's the future.

Actually the more cyclists there are, there should be a reduction in congestion. People driving should be thankful for the increase in cyclists as a good proportion of them would have been driving beforehand.
Leper, Leo isn't the only one confused!
From your points it seems to me that common sense to you is for cyclists to be bullied off the road onto a greenway that isn't suitable for a sponsored cycle (perhaps due to surfacing, some greenways are more for hybrid bikes not road bikes with skinny tyres), for the cyclists to bully pedestrians off the greenway and for motorists to drive unencumbered by manners, appropriate speed restrictions and concern for the safety of others.
That's not common sense to me.

Reactions: Leo
Congestion isn't reducing because they are deliberately increasing congestion (reducing capacity for cars) to force people to alternative methods of transport to make cities and such nicer places to live. I say that not to derail the discussion. But people will have to get used to a new environment on the roads, or more cyclists, and less space for cars.

Sporting events like cycling sportives are going to be more common.
http://www.stickybottle.com/coachin...dar-for-2017-in-full-over-300-events-to-ride/

Congestion isn't reducing because they are deliberately increasing congestion (reducing capacity for cars) to force people to alternative methods of transport to make cities and such nicer places to live.

True, it has been stated policy for some time now. Latest moves as reported yesterday.

Just came across this - http://www.thejournal.ie/posters-howth-cycling-strange-3339315-Apr2017/

Someone actually went to the trouble of printing 15 colour signs disparaging cycling and erected them in Howth.

original

original

original

Someone should attach littering notices to it.

If they have a problem they should get the local Garda to fine a few people if they are cycling inappropriately.

I think the funniest part of those posters is the fact that they seem to think cyclists go both too fast and too slow. That and two cyclists side-by-side is enough to block up to 8 lanes of traffic! But of course whoever put them up will be fully convinced their illegal action is justified.

Back