While, Normally I support the Cyclist . . . .

Leper

Yesterday (Sunday), I walked our dog on the "greenway" from Carrigaline to Crosshaven. I noticed many cyclists using the parallel public road competing with cars for space. The road is narrow and throughout my walk I noticed several cyclists waving fists at motorists. One of these incidents culminated in a motorist stopping and was screamed at by members of the Cycling Lycra Mafia. "Keep your distance" etc Arms extended etc. Then the lady motorist pointed out civilly that the walking and cycling "greenway" was there for cyclists too (it was all of one metre distant). But, the cyclists just did not want to know . . . . and continued to use the narrow public road.

Somebody rang the Gardaí and suddenly there was a presence on the road with blue lights flashing etc and some form of peace was introduced. It was a charity cycle and one thing of note was the scarcity (almost non existence) of cycle marshals along the route.

. . . . just another day when Irish people come into their own in how to annoy everybody else. But, a local hospital got a few bob out of it.

I live beside the N11 close to the Mount Merrion end. There is a cycle path alongside this road. During the week practically all of the cyclists use the cycle path. For some reason when Sunday comes about, the lycra lads just will not use it.

It's not a bus lane on a Sunday. Maybe it should be changed to a cycle lane on this day to facilitate those wanting to cycle at speed and in groups?

Hate cyclists much?

If they had used the greenway, no doubt there would have been lots of complaints from families with young kids that they were going too fast and causing them inconvenience. Greenways are totally unsuitable for large group spins, they're best left for families with young kids learning to cycle in safety rather than larger groups averaging 20-30+km/h or the 'lycra lads' out to get some training in.

Just because some off-road cycling infrastructure exists nearby does not justify someone close passing and endangering cyclists, and let's face it, the driver in the above altercation would unlikely have been looking in their rear view mirror to see the extended arms had they not been aware of having done something wrong.

Somebody rang the Gardaí and suddenly there was a presence on the road with blue lights flashing etc and some form of peace was introduced. It was a charity cycle and one thing of note was the scarcity (almost non existence) of cycle marshals along the route.

This wouldn't be allowed to happen here abroad. What should have happened is that the cycle race be put on a road for a few hours and barred to traffic. Do it properly or don't do it at all. But the Gardai are too busy no doubt blowing into bags to be bothered about doing a bit of proper community policing.

Last edited:
What should have happened is that the cycle race be put on a road for a few hours and barred to traffic. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

It wasn't a race, it was a charity cycle, many of these happen up and down the country and road closures would be overkill and cause more inconvenience. Many road races is Ireland actually take place on open roads with Garda oversight as they are refusing most road closure applications.

I'm not getting why it would be overkill. Surely closing the road off for half an hour is preferable to endangering and upsetting everybody?

Also, more a question for the organizers, was the route they chose suitable in the absence of road closures.
If it was narrow based on the OP's comments, this is not suitable for any kind of group event to safely use it without closure.

I'm not getting why it would be overkill. Surely closing the road off for half an hour is preferable to endangering and upsetting everybody?
I think it's fair to say that the motoring world would be pretty upset if roads were closed every time a group wants to go cycling.
We just need to share the road better.

coming out of my town one Saturday about 2 weeks ago there was a sponsored cycle, Gardaí and stewards in place yet how someone wasn't killed was beyond me. Main reason was the behavior of some of the lyrca brigade who seemed to think they owned the road. They were weaving in and out of the hard shoulder without even looking or signaling to see what was behind them. Most of the cyclists were fine but there seemed to be a handful who thought that common sense and the rules of the road did not belong to them.

Also, more a question for the organizers, was the route they chose suitable in the absence of road closures.
If it was narrow based on the OP's comments, this is not suitable for any kind of group event to safely use it without closure.

That's a very good point. Sounds from the OP that the road picked was unsuitable.

Main reason was the behavior of some of the lyrca brigade who seemed to think they owned the road.
...and motorists don't think they own the road.

That's a very good point. Sounds from the OP that the road picked was unsuitable.
How can it be unsuitable? It's a road and they are entitled to use it. The problem is that motorists are impeded by them (and other slow moving traffic) and some motorists prioritise their impatience over cyclists safety.

Many of these cycles cover more than 100km, and can take hours to pass, particularly later in the route. The likes of the Wicklow 200 run over looped courses with a single start finish location, I doubt those living in the area would like 13+ hours of road closures. Gardai also don't have the numbers to enforce road closures for this scale of event.

Yesterday (Sunday), I walked our dog on the "greenway" from Carrigaline to Crosshaven. I noticed many cyclists using the parallel public road competing with cars for space. The road is narrow and throughout my walk I noticed several cyclists waving fists at motorists. One of these incidents culminated in a motorist stopping and was screamed at by members of the Cycling Lycra Mafia. "Keep your distance" etc Arms extended etc. Then the lady motorist pointed out civilly that the walking and cycling "greenway" was there for cyclists too (it was all of one metre distant). But, the cyclists just did not want to know . . . . and continued to use the narrow public road.

. . . . just another day when Irish people come into their own in how to annoy everybody else. But, a local hospital got a few bob out of it.

Cyclists were fully entitled to use the road, as you yourself point out, it is a public road.
Why were car drivers overtaking if the road is narrow? Perhaps a sense of entitlement? Perhaps, due to not caring about the safety of the people cycling, as they're just cyclists?
I had a pick-up truck zoom up to overtake me as I was coming to a red light, he then zipped across me to take the left turn just before the lights - really dangerous and ignorant behaviour.
As others have pointed out the Greenway isn't suitable for a race or a spin as the slower users there and the walkers would be up in arms (and rightly so) if a group were zooming past them.

I'm struggling to see from your post someone who is normally supportive of cyclists.

There may be places that some people believe are unsuitable for cyclists to cycle on. These people are quite entitled to have that opinion, but if the law allows cyclists to use a particular route then that's it, they use it and are fully entitled to do so. People in cars need to get a grip of themselves at times, take deep breaths, exhale slowly and lose the attitude, helps them with getting rid of the bloated belly too. The only cyclists I take a dislike to are the ones who break the traffic lights. Now, wouldn't it be nice if there was a device that could catch them doing this, also the jay walkers. Where is it that drivers are going to that makes them get so hot and sweaty when they're slowed down for a few seconds?

And those self same drivers should be taking notice of the increasing use of forward and rear facing helmet and handlebar mounted cameras.

It is now increasingly likely that bad and aggressive driving towards cyclists is being recorded.

I agree but that doesn't mean it's "suitable" unless you're into extreme sports :p
You might also argue that the road is not suitable for cars, pedestrians, agricultural machinery or animals. "Suitable" in this case is subjective and depends on the perspective of the road user / bystander.

You might also argue that the road is not suitable for cars, pedestrians, agricultural machinery or animals. "Suitable" in this case is subjective and depends on the perspective of the road user / bystander.

I agree with that too. However in a car you have a lot more protection. On a bike you're kinda exposed, so for me I would cycle somewhere else. Not saying it's right or anything, just practical.

Back