Which is the Best Value Store - Aldi, Lidl or Tesco...??

Joanne

Which is generally the best value for money store for basic day-to-day groceries?

a) Aldi
b) Lidl
c) Tesco
d) some other store

As far as I can see, Aldi and Lidl are virtually the same on price. They would beat Tesco, Dunnes and the others by my reckoning. The only problem you might have is if you are particularly attached to certain brand names. Otherwise they are as good as any.

Just remember be open minded when trying new brands dont be it has to be batchelors beans or nothing,

dont be it has to be batchelors beans or nothing,

Well, it actually does. My missus wont have have tesco,aldi or lidl beans in the house. And its not to do with the price or the taste neither, they produce an aroma that batchelors or heinz dont. Not to drag this thread down but does anyone else find same? I will be personally requesting posts be removed if anyone starts with the old air jokes. ;)

On the main topic, I find lidl and aldi the same on price. I prefer lidl for one or 2 products. Dunnes do some items cheaper. Supervalu do nice food. I find lidl and aldis bread not the best. So if you were talking value, which we do on this forum a lot, I could buy cheap bread in lidl, but its not as nice as the La Brea bread I can get in supervalu so is that value if its not as nice?

We do a 50/50 shop each week between Lidl and Tesco. Fresh meat we tend to purchase at an independent butcher and we sometimes buy frozen meat products from a wholesale outlet. Last week we bought a frozen goose in Lidl for under €14 which is excellent value for money- don't know what it's like yet! This week Tesco had fresh turkeys marked down by 40% which was excellent value for money also, we had one of those lasyt year and couldn't fault it for value or quality. They also had hams reduced in Tesco this week. So in conclusion, while Lidl and Aldi will generally be cheaper on most groceries some of the other big players will occasionally have special offers that are hard to beat. I genuinely believe that many of these special offers would not be available if it weren't for the competition posed by Aldi and Lidl.

I use Lidl and Aldi for nappies and olive oil and rubbish sacks and frozen tuna steaks.
Everything else I buy in what ever shop I happen to use that week as all are local to me.
I look out for special offers on items we use all the time.
I like Tesco own brand non-biological washing liquid. That is about the only own brand item I use.
We use super-valu beans the only own-brand beans I like and I think I have tried them all.
For me certain items have to be from certain brands.
It has to be chef tomato ketchup and Helmanns mayonaise and Kellogs cereals but I am willing to try most other things if the price is right.
Only consider an item good value if it is of good quality....price is only a small part of whether an item is good value or not.

get your rubbish sacks (black bags) in B&Q. they do a 50 pk and a 100pk in the gardening dept. Cant remember the exact price, but its something like 5e which is pretty much unbeatable in any of the supermarkets.

I HAVE to have Chef Ketchup and Lyons teabags. Everything else we get at Aldi/Lidl at a fraction of the cost we used to spend in that dump Tesco.
We buy our meat at the butcher and freeze. I find their stuff really good quality. I used to buy yoghurts in Tesco that would be out of date in a few days - the same with their fruit and veg. Aldi/Lidl stuff has a much longer life. Their dairy is sometimes dates three weeks away.

car said:
get your rubbish sacks (black bags) in B&Q. they do a 50 pk and a 100pk in the gardening dept. Cant remember the exact price, but its something like 5e which is pretty much unbeatable in any of the supermarkets.
Thanks for that I am always on the look out for a bargain!

tesco for the brands and Lidl/Aldi for the fruit and veg, the Aldi naan is particularly nice as are their sauces - curry/korma etc

So if you're not too worried about brand names, does it appear to be that Aldi is generally the best on price?

i.e. if you're simply regarding one tin of beans (or whatever!) as being as good as any other brand

Well Tesco do a basic range of stuff value brands which are as cheap as a lot of the stuff in Aldi and Lidl but not sure of the quality.
If price is your bottom line then I'd say Aldi and Lidl are cheaper on a lot of things.

Joanne said:
i.e. if you're simply regarding one tin of beans (or whatever!) as being as good as any other brand
Check out the "what [not] to buy in Aldi/Lidl" thread to see how animated some people get over Lidl's baked beans! :D For what it's worth we do most of our general grocery shopping in Lidl (and Aldi to a lesser extent these days) with veg bought from Moore Street or other greengrocers and meat mainly from the local butcher.

I confess to a little pang of guilt about buying aldi biscuits.Not about the biscuits themselves as I know most are McVities but about not supporting Irish Biscuit makers whose adds on the telly are pretty funny. especially the fig roll ones. Pity Aldi wouldn't source some of their biscuits in Ireland. Also noticed lidl are about to open a new store in Castleblayney. The store appears to have come off the back of a truck lock stock and barrel and the 'assemblers' were all Polish. So we have our discounts but there are obviously at someone's expense.

The store appears to have come off the back of a truck lock stock and barrel and the 'assemblers' were all Polish

I don't mind as long as they received at least the minimum wage.

Marion

cuchulainn said:
So we have our discounts but there are obviously at someone's expense.
Yeah - like the cheap clothing and kitchenware etc. made in China and the like that I and others buy from guaranteed Irish stores such as Dunnes etc.?

Yeah - like the cheap clothing and kitchenware etc. made in China and the like that I and others buy from guaranteed Irish stores such as Dunnes etc.?

But, despite the low wages paid to employees in China, maybe they are produced ethically?

Marion

Back