Key Post Which is the best current account for a personal customer?

I see that PTSB offer 10c back per card transaction? This would surely go some way to offsetting the maintenance fees etc. From what I can see, the AIB fees are quite onerous?

In the best buy for personal current accounts there are various ways of getting free fees, most of them are fairly niche or come with a lot of conditions/restrictions. For maybe a lot of people in my position (someone who has 2 current accounts, one with KBC, the other with Ulster) I would like to know who I can get the best value, full service current account. I guess once KBC/UB withdraw there will only be AIB, BOI and IP left. Which of these has the best online banking or offers the best value for money. Is it much of a muchness comparing BOI and AIB fees? I wonder will an Ulster Bank current account be offered a migration/transfer to BOI or will they just be closed?

I guess once KBC/UB withdraw there will only be AIB, BOI and IP left.
Hi Rejoyce. Out of interest, do you exclude EBS just because theirs is a just basic offering or is there some other reason? I've noticed lots of people here don't seem to make much mention of them.
Thanks!

Hi Rejoyce. Out of interest, do you exclude EBS just because theirs is a just basic offering or is there some other reason? I've noticed lots of people here don't seem to make much mention of them.
Thanks!
Yeah, EBS very basic, I am looking for a service to replace my KBC/UB. Ulster banks online banking is the best in the market, followed by KBC in my opinion. The pillar banks are behind, AIB definitely being better than BOI.

Whats the main things UB/AIB online system that EBS cant, as free banking vs paying for service might make it ok to use EBS.

It was an offer that PTSB were running back then that if you opened a current account they were offering free banking for life.

Yeah, the product was called PTSB Switch Current Account and offered free banking for life. It was part of a big push by PTSB 20 years ago or so to get a bigger slice of the current account market. Anyone who still has a PTSB Switch Current Account would be insane to let it go.

Whats the main things UB/AIB online system that EBS cant, as free banking vs paying for service might make it ok to use EBS.

EBS do not offer Google Pay, Apple Pay.
EBS do not offer online account set up. You have to book an appointment and it is a painful process.
EBS do not offer online direct debit set up.
EBS do not offer an app.
EBS online banking is not feature rich.
EBS have large FX fees like all Irish banks.

Last edited:
Thanks CiaranT good to know, as used to free banking with KBC and good internet/app offering.

EBS do not offer Google Pay, Android Pay.
EBS do not offer online account set up. You have to book an appointment and it is a painful process.
EBS do not offer online direct debit set up.
EBS do not offer an app.
EBS online banking is not feature rich.
EBS have large FX fees like all Irish banks.
Apparently you need to fill out a form and bring it into the branch to setup a new payee.

Apparently you need to fill out a form and bring it into the branch to setup a new payee.
I stand to be corrected but that doesn't appear to be the case (i.e. it seems to be possible to do it online), according to the Online Banking-Transfers and Payments part here:

Also, in the current account best buys on AAM, one possibility given is combining EBS with say N26 or Revolut to get any missing features.

Yeah, EBS very basic, I am looking for a service to replace my KBC/UB. Ulster banks online banking is the best in the market, followed by KBC in my opinion. The pillar banks are behind, AIB definitely being better than BOI.

Online banking in Ireland has a long way to go if KBC is among the best in class. You can't even display your mortgage balance!
Not looking forward to switching to BOI if it's significantly worse.

My first mortgage was with EBS. When I requested why my annual statement was not sent out to me, they said it was because the address on file was not the same as the house (it was the flat we were renting prior to buying). I informed them we had stopped renting in order to buy the house which they had given us a (FTB) mortgage for! They said they would post me out the change of address form and asked me to come in to a branch with photo ID in order to change it. I LOL'd. This was 2018!

I have being with PTSB for my current account for 15 years+ with no fees with their legacy Switch product.

10 thoughts on PTSB ...

(1) I have found their customer service excellent the small number of times I needed to contact.
(2) Their online banking is basic to say the least. No push notifications, no transfers to mobile numbers etc
(3) Great that they have still honoured a 'free fees for life' offer from 15 years ago
(4) No SEPA Instant support
(5) No Google Pay support
(6) No 2FA when logging in but there now is 2FA support for some online transactions.
(7) High FX fees - I use Revolut.
(8) Setting up non Irish Euro payees is easy unlike with some other banks
(9) App just fees very basic compared to Revolut and others
(10) All that said, I have had little to no issues with PTSB over the years.
I also have a PTSB switch accounts, so I haven't paid fees in 20 years.
I agree with the points above. The features on the online banking are basic, but its easy to use and always reliable.

I know I'm lucky but in my case, there are very few fancy features worth €720 a year which would entice me to move

Any fresh thoughts on this thread since the last post in November?
Need a new joint account as we'll be leaving KBC. Want to keeps fees low but also want a decent online/app service.
EBS seems a non runner for this.
PTSB looks like a good option except for lack of Google Pay

I switched last year as soon as Ulster Bank announced they were leaving.
To KBC o_O
So left it on the long finger till now to switch again. I found the Ulster Bank app / service great and wouldn't have moved if they weren't leaving. Then mostly happy with KBC, except lodging cash is a pain.

I went through the online process for AIB. Got all the way through and it had an error so it told me to visit the bank.

I just tried PTSB yesterday. Downloaded the app, spent the 10 mins answering the questions / taking photos. Today got the notification that my account is set up. Logged in and it all seems straightforward. I'm with SSE Airtricity so the cashback I receive from paying that bill should go mostly towards the monthly fee.
So far the app seems straightforward.
I need to set up an non EU payee and the online portal says I have to visit the branch for that. So that's some hassle. It wasn't a requirement with Ulster Bank. But hopefully I only have to visit the branch once to set up the payee and then can transfer from the app in the future.

Last edited:
Any fresh thoughts on this thread since the last post in November?
Need a new joint account as we'll be leaving KBC. Want to keeps fees low but also want a decent online/app service.
EBS seems a non runner for this.
PTSB looks like a good option except for lack of Google Pay
PTSB have Google Pay now, as of last November.

Would be great to have a table compasison or something outlining what each bank does and doesn't have/charge . This thread seems heavily tilted on peoples individuals needs rather than a like for like of the banks. Unless you can identify with the person posting it's hard to judge the bank tbh. For some charges a main priority when switching form UB/KBC but it seems lower down for others. We just want a basic cheap account with a debit card and either an app/online.

Back