Where to vote if I am out of town for the weekend?

NewEdition

Could not find a suitable forum for this.

As its a weekend, I will be away in a different county in the Republic.
How can I vote?
Can I go into any polling station with my card and ID?

Alternatively, you can vote online by entering your passport and voter numbers at [broken link removed]

First off it's [broken link removed] not vote.ie. Secondly, you can register on-line. You can't vote on-line.

The only way to vote without turning up at your registered polling station is if you are abroad on official government business or studying abroad on Erasmus or similar

Maybe a tactic then.. I wonder how many people will be away at the weekend.. of all the times to consider heading away!!!

Are you still able to register with multiple addresses and vote at what ever one you're closest too. Illegal if you cast more than one vote.

If you knew someone who had 4 votes in 4 different places would you "squeal" and if so to who for definite results?

My sound would depend where on my body he was putting them.

But in all seriousness, the Revenue Commissioners. No representation without taxation. Tax early and often.

Or the Gardaí in reality. Though it seems unlikely they would pursue it unless it was systemic fraud.

Are you still able to register with multiple addresses and vote at what ever one you're closest too. Illegal if you cast more than one vote.

That was never a "feature" it was a "bug" - you were supposed to remove yourself from prior regististrations if you move.

You can temporarily change address if you know you will be at a different address for an election - not sure what the deadline is for that

I have been registered at multiple addresses (not any more). To my knowledge no one has ever been prosecuted for voting twice in Ireland.

I don't think it is particularly unethical to stay on the register in two constituencies. Lots of people live between two places.

Elections are called at short notice, and the rules around postal voting are pretty restrictive.

I don't think it is particularly unethical to stay on the register in two constituencies. Lots of people live between two places.

It is illegal under the Electoral Act though, maximum prison term of 2 years for conviction on indictment :)

It is illegal under the Electoral Act though, maximum prison term of 2 years for conviction on indictment :)

In my personal experience one local authority just failed to take me off the register.

There is no legal obligation on the citizen to notify them of this omission.

Voting twice is of course clearly illegal.

I was registered in 2 addresses. Didn't register myself.

Think I still am but one of the cards read Bbecky Mmurphy so think I'm okay.

Never voted twice but it was nice having a choice between my country and city residence.

Back