Where have the discounts gone ?

There was no offer in the letter - they then rang and I rang back a few weeks later

Was that offered to you in the letter they sent you or did you have to negotiate that rate in the subsequent phone call??

The letter is usually just a regulatory necessity and does not normally provide details of discounts etc.

My renewal with Bord Gais isn't until mid December but I'm been offered 15% off both gas and electricity if I sign up to their smart plan
According to their website you should "Please note that if you are an existing Bord Gáis Energy customer and move to a smart tariff, it’s not possible to revert back to a non-smart tariff/ old meter type due to industry rules for smart metering."

According to their website you should "Please note that if you are an existing Bord Gáis Energy customer and move to a smart tariff, it’s not possible to revert back to a non-smart tariff/ old meter type due to industry rules for smart metering."
Am aware of that, but my initial research of my own usage is that the smart meter might save me a few euros a year
but if I use Bord Gais's estimates it will cost me a couple of hundred euros extra if I switch
My guess is at some stage in the future we will all be on a smart rate's otherwise what was the point of the change over??

Have been on teh Bord Gais Electric Affinity 40% discount for years. They would normally call me each year to say contract was due to expire and if hapopy, they would roll over my deal.
This is the first year they called - contract due to expire on 21/11 - to advise they would no longer roll me over on the 40% discount and the best they could do is 25% from 22/11.
Thats effectively another 15% increase in my electricity bill.Rang Electric Ireland and their best is a 14% reduction discount - what is going on ?

Thats effectively another 15% increase in my electricity bill.Rang Electric Ireland and their best is a 14% reduction discount - what is going on ?
Just a note here, but don't base comparisons on the discount percentage alone as they all have different standard rates.

Just a note here, but don't base comparisons on the discount percentage alone as they all have different standard rates.
Good Point as the 25% Rural Discount with Bord Gais is only €0.01 less per kW/h over the 14% discount on Electric Ireland.
Rural charges -

Electric Ireland
- Standard unit price 43.27 c/kWh Inc Vat
- Effective unit price with
14.0% direct debit and
online billing discount 1 37.21 c/kWh Inc Vat

Standing charge 24 hour rural per year €380.46

Bord Gais
Standard Unit Rate in VAT 48.33 c/kWh
Rate including 25% discount 36.25 c/kWh Inc VAT

Standing charge 24 hour rural per year €352.9 Inc VAT

Hi guys, I'm out of contact with electric Ireland gas and electricity, I put my details in bonkers, then they recommend electric Ireland again. So I wouldn't be switching but I'd get some % discount and a new contract. Does this sound right? Switching to the same provider?

Hi guys, I'm out of contact with electric Ireland gas and electricity, I put my details in bonkers, then they recommend electric Ireland again. So I wouldn't be switching but I'd get some % discount and a new contract. Does this sound right? Switching to the same provider?
You don't necessarily have to go through the switching process, just phone them and request the discounted rate (or better). You will be committing to a further 12+ month contract period.

There's two ways to figure out the standard rate for a supplier, and it depends on your meter type.
First is to simply be on the standard rate plan and read your bill.
Second is to wade through the small print on suppliers website til you find it (messy, as they all make it difficult to do).

To give you an idea, the current SSE Airtricity rate minus VAT at 9% for an urban night meter is 43.39c per kwh day rate and 26.93c night rate.
I was fortunate enough to sign up in my new home in August just days before the 31% discount for electricity only vanished. My rate for a standard urban night meter is now 30.28c (previously 21.31c) for day and 18.79c (prev 11.58c) for night.

Bonkers is your friend or you could make up a spreadsheet and then match against the promised offers as they appear.

Back