Where have the discounts gone ?

I logged on to the Bonkers website. Really nothing on offer. Some fixed charges well over €300 now. Maybe Bonkers could do a comparison of fixed charges.
You can't look at unit rate or fixed charges in isolation.

I logged on to the Bonkers website. Really nothing on offer. Some fixed charges well over €300 now. Maybe Bonkers could do a comparison of fixed charges.
Not berating you or anyone else, but maybe the consumer should be more alert to everything and not rely on others all the time. This applies to everything, not just the price of something.

Reactions: Leo
You can't look at unit rate or fixed charges in isolation.
I expect to spend 3 months way from Ireland this winter, so the fixed charge is relevant to me. Having a fixed charge on my gas and my electricity can certainly add to my costs.

Not berating you or anyone else, but maybe the consumer should be more alert to everything and not rely on others all the time. This applies to everything, not just the price of something.
I am not sure what you mean by this statement. If websites like Bonkers are there to help make a choice then they can cut down on the time spent trawling through multiple websites. Also, Askaboutmoney has been very useful to find out information on various things. I think we become "more alert" by using these websites. I am always grateful to get first hand information from people who have been through an experience.

I expect to spend 3 months way from Ireland this winter, so the fixed charge is relevant to me. Having a fixed charge on my gas and my electricity can certainly add to my costs.
It has relevance to everyone, that's why no one should look at one component in isolation.

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. If websites like Bonkers are there to help make a choice then they can cut down on the time spent trawling through multiple websites. Also, Askaboutmoney has been very useful to find out information on various things. I think we become "more alert" by using these websites. I am always grateful to get first hand information from people who have been through an experience.
Very simple, an awful lot of people give out about the price of everything but never do anything about it for themselves. They complain about health insurance but stay with the one company all the time, same with motor ins and house ins. That's just an example, many more expect the state or someone else to take care of everything for them. Soon enough we'll hear about no one being available to tuck them in at night. Too many of them around and boy, are their loud mouths heard.

Anyone tried getting through to the energy companies these days? We are at Eir levels of customer service.

Very simple, an awful lot of people give out about the price of everything but never do anything about it for themselves. They complain about health insurance but stay with the one company all the time, same with motor ins and house ins. That's just an example, many more expect the state or someone else to take care of everything for them. Soon enough we'll hear about no one being available to tuck them in at night. Too many of them around and boy, are their loud mouths heard.

My understanding is that the role of opposition TDs is to do precisely what you have described above. And - even worse - our witless media provide these TD with unlimited and uncritical free publicity for doing precisely that. So it ain't going to change.

I agree but there’s a world of difference between this level of inertia and not understanding the intricacies of energy company billing tactics. They’re designed to confuse and discourage movement to competitors. It doesn’t mean you’re lazy if you don’t make sense of them.

It’s this level of complexity that has facilitated the existence of Bonkers.

55 minutes wait for Bord Gais on phone and 5 working days wait for reply to e-mail :(
I've signed up with them and can't register online as it just won't work, keeps saying some bit of the info is wrong when it isn't, phone wait too long so went through contact form, heard nothing back except an email asking me to rate them in a survey lol!

I've signed up with them and can't register online as it just won't work, keeps saying some bit of the info is wrong when it isn't, phone wait too long so went through contact form, heard nothing back except an email asking me to rate them in a survey lol!

I thought last week-end that there was something wrong with their online logging in but it has not changed since. I regularly move between El Irl and Bord Gais and have never had to reregister so find it strange that I can't log in this time :(

It’s this level of complexity that has facilitated the existence of Bonkers.
It seems like the current market complexity (rapid changes) has meant that Bonkers and Switcher can't keep up! These sites are directly recommended by the CRU to help figure out the best energy plans.

I ended up doing my own calculations figuring out the best per unit charge, standing rate and new customer discount on that date. Gas switched already. Signed up for an EI leccy plan via Bonkers which wasn't available directly on the EI website, haven't had confirmation of the switch yet...

maybe the consumer should be more alert to everything and not rely on others all the time.
There are plenty of people who rely on switching sites to help reduce complexity, in particular the more vulnerable in society. My elderly parents are freaking out about when their contract ends later this month and cannot figure out what to do.

I'll be ready to switch from Energia back to EI (dual fuel) around 6th November but is it really worth it
this year, Is energia likely to go under, I doubt it, but would I be better in the direct hands of the ESB in these
troubled times who knows.

I'll be ready to switch from Energia back to EI (dual fuel) around 6th November but is it really worth it
this year, Is energia likely to go under, I doubt it, but would I be better in the direct hands of the ESB in these
troubled times who knows.
Energia are a producer of electricity, so are very profitable in their generation division. Don't mix them up with UK resellers who had to operate in a very strangely regulated market that did not allow companies buy ahead more than a few months.

But energia do tend to have the highest standard rates. So check the net price after the different discounts

I suspect that the next move on prices will be down as gas prices have dropped considerably and back at May levels. Still 5 times historic average.

I rang Bord Gáis this morning and got through straight away - mind you it was a number for the customer retention service :)
which I noted after a call from my friendly Bord Gáis salesman a month ago when they sent a letter about my contract coming to an end. That's 3 years I have been with them and they have always offered a competitive for renewal
After a short chat, I was again offered a competitive rate and re-signed for 12 months

Made a note to repeat next October

Care to share what rates you managed to get ?
My renewal with Bord Gais isn't until mid December but I'm been offered 15% off both gas and electricity if I sign up to their smart plan
I'm expecting the same for a non smart meter renewal which would save me a few hundred euro compared to the smart plan
That's 10% discount off standard rates and a further 5% loyalty discount for been a customer for 12 Months

Last edited:
25% discount on standard rates - not a smart plan. So 33 cents/kWh Electricity and 10 cents/kWh gas (excl VAT)

25% discount on standard rates - not a smart plan. So 33 cents/kWh Electricity and 10 cents/kWh gas (excl VAT)
Was that offered to you in the letter they sent you or did you have to negotiate that rate in the subsequent phone call??

Back