When will alcohol and tobacco be banned?

Excellent and well thought out post, mathepac.:D

As a bonus it will aid the natural selection of the species, ensuring that junkies die out more quickly. Maybe mandatory implantation of contraceptive devices to be issued along with the licences?

And therin lies the reason why they shouldn't be legalised yet.

But you could be criminalising a substance that may do no harm? Surely it would make more sense to subject the substances to rigorous testing before making ANY decision about the legality of it?

It seems to me that if anything purports to give people a high - its jumped on and banned due to a knee jerk reaction.
Meanwhile alcohol fuels violence and aggression every day and night of the week.

Excellent and well thought out post, mathepac.:D

As a bonus it will aid the natural selection of the species, ensuring that junkies die out more quickly. Maybe mandatory implantation of contraceptive devices to be issued along with the licences?

Junkies already die out more quickly - it would just be another goldmine for lawyers, more people going to prison for not having licences leading to more prison overcrowding, more bunkbeds, more prison governers resigning, more early releases and more crime... where would it all end?

... more people going to prison for not having licences leading to more prison overcrowding, more bunkbeds, more prison governers resigning, more early releases and more crime...
No, read my proposal again.
... The consequences of being found in possession or under the influence of a controlled substance without an appropriate licence is summary execution ...
This would lead to an increase in the demand for coffins, wood, more forestation projects and a greener island.

The Four Gold Mines could then shrink to become the Three Gold Mines (sorry Vanilla :()

Great idea mathepac.
We could also have tourist licences which would cost a fortune. Only Irish citizens and those legally resident iin the country for more then two years would be allowed to get the free ones... where's the down side?

Sure the civil liberties crowd would go ballistic with summary execution, could you not tone it down to chain gang community work - scrubbing graffiti off walls, unblocking sewers, painting & securing derelict houses, that type of thing....

Sure the civil liberties crowd would go ballistic with summary execution, could you not tone it down to chain gang community work - scrubbing graffiti off walls, unblocking sewers, painting & securing derelict houses, that type of thing....

Or they could be executed via firing squad. We could sell places internationally, I’m sure there’s a few God fearing good old boys who’d get on a plane and part with a few thousand dollars for the chance to strike down a sinner. Think of what it would do for the hotel industry. We could televise it and sell sponsorship... it just keeps on getting better!

Sure the civil liberties crowd would go ballistic with summary execution, ...
The first avenue in protecting the State from this type of left-wing nonsense is to classify objections from anyone who hasn't experienced the punishment at first hand as illegal. The Summary Execution Ombusman's Objections Office [Biffo: please note, I'm trying hard here] would take care of this by ensuring that civil libertarian Trotskyite types were summarily executed before they broke the law by pursuing illegal objections.
... could you not tone it down to chain gang community work - scrubbing graffiti off walls, unblocking sewers, painting & securing derelict houses, that type of thing....
Possibly, but this proposition creates a management overhead that summary execution eliminates; call me biased if you must, but I like the simplicity and finality of my original proposal.

Last edited:
Or they could be executed via firing squad. We could sell places internationally, I’m sure there’s a few God fearing good old boys who’d get on a plane and part with a few thousand dollars for the chance to strike down a sinner. Think of what it would do for the hotel industry. We could televise it and sell sponsorship... it just keeps on getting better!

Youre missing a massive revenue generating opportunity here - game parks populated with junkies as game, very very expensive to stay in and hunt the sinners.

Would we allow the hunters to take away trophy heads? Arms full of track marks might be more appropriate.

But you could be criminalising a substance that may do no harm? Surely it would make more sense to subject the substances to rigorous testing before making ANY decision about the legality of it?

It seems to me that if anything purports to give people a high - its jumped on and banned due to a knee jerk reaction.
Meanwhile alcohol fuels violence and aggression every day and night of the week.

So it could be harmful, therefore let people try it out while we do tests, or it could be harmful, lets do tests before we let people try it out.

Doesn't the latter make more sense?

So it could be harmful, therefore let people try it out while we do tests, or it could be harmful, lets do tests before we let people try it out.

Doesn't the latter make more sense?

Sorry MrMan - you completely misunderstood me, I am making exactly the same point as you - lets do the tests before making ANY decisions (meaning no sale until it passes the tests) - but what has actually happened is that there have been no tests at all and a move to illegal status. I agree the stuff shouldnt have been on sale to begin with without proper testing, but its madness to just ban it now - with no criteria bar media frenzy.

Sorry MrMan - you completely misunderstood me, I am making exactly the same point as you - lets do the tests before making ANY decisions (meaning no sale until it passes the tests) - but what has actually happened is that there have been no tests at all and a move to illegal status. I agree the stuff shouldnt have been on sale to begin with without proper testing, but its madness to just ban it now - with no criteria bar media frenzy.

So we agree, mark the time and date!

Surely it would make more sense to subject the substances to rigorous testing before making ANY decision about the legality of it?

And then we have a potential cure for cancer being subject to 10 years testing befoe being 'legalised' ...

Youre missing a massive revenue generating opportunity here - game parks populated with junkies as game, very very expensive to stay in and hunt the sinners.

Would we allow the hunters to take away trophy heads? Arms full of track marks might be more appropriate.
This is quite offensive (along with many of the earlier posts) to anyone who has seen family or friends dealing with addiction issues. John Lonergan's comment during the week as to why most of his inmates came from 2 or 3 areas of central/north Dublin springs to mind.

The head shop owners mistake was to open shops in 'nice' areas like Clontorf. If they had stuck to Capel St, no-one would have bothered them.

Back