When is a prank not a prank?

Is that UK law? Is that Australian law. Does it apply in either of those jurisdictions if the crime is committed on UK soil by a non resident. I'd say it's a complete new area of law.

The laws of the jurisdiction the act took place in prevail, so in this case, Australia.

Residency doesn't come into it.

Most democracies have privacy protections in place.

In fact a quick bit of googling quickly finds the answer

"The New South Wales state Surveillance Devices Act prohibits the broadcast of recorded private conversations without participants’ permission, with violations punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $58,000."

Relevant Act is here:

Yes that's the criminal law but there is also the civil law in these jurisdictions.

Notwithstanding the law (criminal or civil) I think its wrong to profit from these "pranks" without the consent to the victims.

One thing we can always rely on is that the media and even society will always find a scapegoat in these tragedies because that's easier than having a discussion on suicide prevention.

Whether it be a stupid prank, (ill-advised, immature, humourless, it doesn't matter, it was a stupid prank) or on-line bullying, or whatever. They may be a trigger for a suicide, but they are not the cause and we shouldn't draw a direct link between the two because it exaggerates one act and belittles and diminishes mental health issues.

Sadly, until we can just discuss mental health without any stigma, without any need to label, blame individuals or blame acts, we'll continue to have people needlessly left with the idea that they only have one option available to them to end the turmoil.

Of course, two idiot DJs in Austrailia are responsibile for all that.

I completely disagree, it is not melodramatic. Actually I thought it was understated. That is if we need to categorise posts now.

It was taking a few words of a post and reposting them completely out of context to try and make out that Truthseeker was dismissing the nurse as 'just a voice' on the end of the telephone.
Very unfair and, yes, melodramatic in my view.

Back