When is a prank not a prank?

She could have been depressed, and would have taken her life anyway. We cannot make judgement without knowing the circumstances.

This story is just fuel for the fire for the media, I can't believe how many people think that she was actually the nurse that gave out the info.

Many of us are jumping to conclusions. We dont know if there were any kind of problems with the victim. Depression was mentioned. Another said she "must" have had difficulties. Many are saying that the DJ's had no cause which could be attributed to them. Others say the hospital is to blame. Let's wait until any inquiry is finished and the results are made known.

she was manning reception and answering the phones at the time, she was the receptionist in the context in which i used the term.

Its hardly relevant anyway. She put the call through, that is all she did. I dont believe that 2 australian djs are responsible for her death. We are all responsible for our own actions. The are responsible for being eejits, but thats not a criminal offence as far as i can tell.

+1

There's a key part being missed here.

When these 'pranks' are played be that on radio or TV, the perpetrators own up at the end of the skit & get permission for the piece to be aired (or not as the case may be).

The DJs in question didn't do that and so the telephone call was recorded without the either nurses' permission and was also broadcast without permission from either of them.

Anyone like to comment on the legalities of that?

Well spotted, Thirsty. Your post puts a whole new complexion on the issue. I had thought the DJ's informed their victim of the situation. How I feel for that poor nurse, her children and family.

How I feel for that poor nurse, her children and family.

I don't think there is anybody who doesn't feel that way. But this was a stupid prank and I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody would commit suicide leaving behind a husband and two children because they incorrectly put though a phone call, that doesn't sound normal to me.

I also feel sorry for the idiotic radio DJ's, but they couldn't have known what would happen as a result of their actions and I guess they are in a very bad place right now.

If this means that nobody ever can do a prank or say anything negative, or have a joke than what kind of world is that.

But this was a stupid prank and I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody would commit suicide leaving behind a husband and two children because they incorrectly put though a phone call, that doesn't sound normal to me.

Suicide is never "normal". Nor in each case do those left behind ever understand why it happened.

If this means that nobody ever can do a prank or say anything negative, or have a joke than what kind of world is that.
No one is saying they can't; but the people in question left out a crucial bit which was to get permission to broadcast a recording made without permission. That's what should be shouted loud & clear and I can't understand why no one is saying that.

No one is saying they can't; but the people in question left out a crucial bit which was to get permission to broadcast a recording made without permission. That's what should be shouted loud & clear and I can't understand why no one is saying that.

I like most people would have assumed that no permission was given, because why would the hospital or employees want to highlight that it didn't protect its patients confidentiality. Why do you think that an obvious fact is so important now?
You could ask, what procedures are in place to protect patients from such breaches now, and is there any procedure in place to help monitor the mental stability of the hospital employees.

Bit melodramatic. We can all read the full post and see perfectly well that's not what Truthseeker meant.

I completely disagree, it is not melodramatic. Actually I thought it was understated. That is if we need to categorise posts now.

Got another perspective on this today - my aunt and my nana came home from Australia today for Christmas. They are 40 years in Perth. Their attitude was 'stinking poms, whining as per usual'. I couldn't get it through to them that it was a pointless prank on a girl who was vulnerable and sick, and a nurse who obviously was deeply affected (whether or not she had underlying issues). It just shows though how it is being viewed within Australia.

If there's one thing I have learned over the years is to discard most of what is said by most Australians.

If there's one thing I've leaned over the years it's to ignore all generalisations ;)

I dont believe that 2 Australian DJs are responsible for her death. We are all responsible for our own actions. The are responsible for being eejits, but thats not a criminal offence as far as I can tell.
Absolutely agree. It was a stupid prank that wasn't newsworthy yet the general media propagated it around the world. Now these two clowns are being hounded, say one of them takes their own life, who will be blamed next? We are all responsible for our own actions.

Got another perspective on this today - my aunt and my nana came home from Australia today for Christmas. They are 40 years in Perth. Their attitude was 'stinking poms, whining as per usual'. I couldn't get it through to them that it was a pointless prank on a girl who was vulnerable and sick, and a nurse who obviously was deeply affected (whether or not she had underlying issues). It just shows though how it is being viewed within Australia.

The Australians are being fed one spin, and we are fed another, that is why so many on this side are being so sanctimonous about the whole thing.

...would have assumed that no permission was given.
If permission was not given to broadcast then it should not have been aired; and I'm pretty sure their own broadcasting guidelines say exactly that.

My argument is in regards to the legalities of what the radio station did; not patient confidentiality, which is a bit of a red herring in this particular instance.

The recording was made without knowledge or consent of the other party

To the best of my knowledge, the legal position is, that whilst you can record your own conversations, you cannot broadcast them without the consent of the other party.

To the best of my knowledge, the legal position is, that whilst you can record your own conversations, you cannot broadcast them without the consent of the other party.

Is that UK law? Is that Australian law. Does it apply in either of those jurisdictions if the crime is committed on UK soil by a non resident. I'd say it's a complete new area of law.

Back