what we have to offer

P

purple

I was on a plane from Dublin to Derry (Londonderry) last week and overheard a conversation between two older American women about how unfriendly the people in Dublin (and the rest of the country) were and how expensive it was in comparison to London.
If we cannot compete with one of the greatest cities in the world on friendliness and price how can we hope to sustain out tourism industry going forward?
Will we continue to offer rude, sullen and over priced service in our dirty country or will we at least try to stay up with the game even if we can't stay ahead of it?

Over the years I have found that people in the hotel and tourism industry in the US to be the most friendly and professional so if that's the benchmark that we are being measured against by the tourists who spend far and away the most money per head of and group who visits this country we will find ourselves in serious trouble in a few years.
The only factor that may save us is the large number of immigrants who now work in the industry and seem to be much friendlier and more professional than their native counterparts.

RE

But that has got a sting to it. They will work in Ireland for much smaller wages then the native counterparts.

Re: RE

My experience of the service industry here is not so much rudeness as just poor quality work. The knowledge of waiting staff about their food/drink products is generally far superior in the US. It is very rare that they bring the wrong dish at the wrong time, or leave one member of a party without their dish. They will deliver each drink to the person who ordered it without have to ask 'who ordered the ....' etc etc.

These standards generally don't seem to apply here. But then again, tips of 15% are fairly mandatory over there, so maybe it is a case of you gets what you pays for.

Re: RE

you could be right rainy but then again many of them work for tips only in the US so good service pays the bills!

Good service

Hi gang,

Well, my most recent experience of a hotel was over a 2 week period where I had to give a course on successive Saturdays. I have to say right now that the service was actually superb, but there was a slight glitch on the first Saturday whereby there was some delays in getting the lunch and also uncertainties over what was on the menu......

I thought the reaction of the hotel was novel enough - free tea/coffee biscuits in the afternoon as well as a free load of fruit too (as a make-up gesture). Nice to see as you don't get that every day....!

The following Saturday, a member of the hotel staff came up at 11am (our tea break) and asked who would like to stay for lunch - we all did as it happens, so he took our orders then and we were tucking in to lunch within 3 minutes of arrival for lunch (and before anyone says they were re-heated, nope they were cooked just right and the food was delicious! (actually the food the previous week was also really nice...!)

So well done the Radison in Limerick - would recommend them heartily!

OpusnBill

PS No connection to the organisation other than being a VERY satisfied customer!

Re: what we have to offe

What 'we?', Kimosabe? Tonto, in 'The Lone Ranger'<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Surprised? The hotel is neither Irish-owned nor unionised.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Go figure how they manage good service!

We?

'We' is so last century.

When the economy is exhasted here, I too will be moving elsewhere.

(Max - you're far too much of a chucky.)

Unions

Good point Max. The unions have a lot to answer for in this country. It seems no one can get fired without the threat of a strike

trianing

Employers need to put more emphasis on training and quality. I would argue many employees simply don't know how to deal with a customer in the correct manner. They don't understand the impact they have on the customer, their experience of the service provided and ultimately whether or not the customer will use the service again. Of course there is no excuse for bad manners or rudeness, but I work in a customer driven enviroment and it has taken time and training to learn how to give a customer the service they demand. Which brings me to my next point, customers are extremely demanding, many are unreasonable and just as rude, but they are the bread and butter of a business and therefore employees need to know how to turn a negative situation into a positive outcome for the customer, the business and for themselves. Working in a customer driven enviroment can be stressfull, but it needn't be if you know how to turn a complaining/demanding customer into a happy/satisfied customer who will go as far as to praise your work or help, the service of the business and go on to recommend the service to others.

Why is everyone in America , ( except for New York / Boston ) so much friendlier than in Ireland ? Is it the tips system ?

Having worked in the States in food service, albeit without the benefit of my employers paying me whilst training to become attentive and quality-driven, the first table that stiffs you brings home the message. Meritocracy<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->It really works. Cut staff wages by 20% and offer 40% bonuses for verifiable targets (increased sales, punctuality, neatness, repeat orders, reduced 'hold time', etc. and not the intentionally vague PPF one). I could earn treble my hourly wage in gratuities if I strove for customer satisfaction. And oddly, after a week, the concept became ingrained. But our left-leaning, benefits-for-all, jobs for the boys, friendly Fianna Failures will see that the status quo stands.

What's the alternative ?

But our left-leaning, benefits-for-all, jobs for the boys, friendly Fianna Failures will see that the status quo stands.

Problem is Max, that none of the oppostion parties would be any better. Could you imagine the outcry from the Trots in Labour if you suggested that teachers / civil servants should have some sort of performance related pay element ?

Abandoning the PR voting system will get the individuals that do not reflect the majority's views out of the Dáil. I identify with the counterweighting of Labour to FF but what with so many professional (aka no real-world employment) politicos damaging my finances, I would opt to bin the lot.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Dubya has never had a real job (he did manage a major league baseball team his Pappy and buds purchased). But he is a tax-cutter...

Employers need to put more emphasis on training and quality. I would argue many employees simply don't know how to deal with a customer in the correct manner
I agree noname but with the rate of turnover of staff in the area we are talking about you can see why employers don't put a lot into training.
Abandoning the PR voting system will get the individuals that do not reflect the majority's views out of the Dáil.
That is probably true but it's a dangerous path to start down.

I have to (heavy) hand it to you, . Your censoriousness on postings to your forums puts the boot into it.
Repression, the cure for openmindedness

Max - I suspect the posts went against the grain.

How fitting, a nanny AAM for a nanny state

pathetic and tiresome

reminds me why i stopped coming here.

let the agreers agree, but it really does dispel any pretense of fairness to have this inflated chimpy maurauding over the other few.

sheesh. delete at will, just know that having the last word doesn't mean you aren't an a*****e.

"rubbish"=this mod don't like

PTSB Lap dancers sure is a quality thread. I'm glad someone trimmed the rubbish from this one so it can maintain the high standards set.

Back