What is the extent of tax evasion these days?

Discussion in 'Economic issues' started by T McGibney, Jul 11, 2017.

1. galway_blow_in

galway_blow_in Frequent Poster

if a tradesman wants a grand + vat for a job , i offer him 800 quid cash , vat isnt in the equation when offering cash

2. galway_blow_in

galway_blow_in Frequent Poster

MrEarl likes this.
  3. T McGibney

T McGibney Frequent Poster

torblednam likes this.
  4. newtothis

newtothis Frequent Poster

Did you read the article? If it was avoidance how come "the investigation has yielded €61m in taxes, penalties and interest"?.

Last time I checked, Revenue weren't charging interest and penalties where all taxes were paid correctly and on time.

5. T McGibney

T McGibney Frequent Poster

I'm well aware of the case, thanks. It involves aggressive tax avoidance strategies that fell foul of Revenue. If you want to persist with allegations of evasion, you can maybe give @Brendan Burgess your name, address, bank details and a indemnity against libel damages.

6. newtothis

newtothis Frequent Poster

I'm afraid the distinction between "avoidance strategies that fell foul of Revenue" and "evasion" is way too subtle for me. The former sounds like a varient of Father Ted's "the cash was just was resting in my account....."

7. MrEarl

MrEarl Frequent Poster

That in itself is a fair point and one I think we have discussed before.

Where possible, pay by card or failing that even a cheque (if they'll take one), and insist on a receipt - which you may need for reclaiming money on your health insurance, or possibly for tax purposes.

8. Purple

Purple Frequent Poster

Tax evasion is common with doctors and vets and anyone who gets cash payments for their time.
    I just collected by dog from the kennels and they only take cash. I think it is reasonable to assume that they are not declaring all of their income to revenue.
    In my opinion people or businesses who only take cash are doing so for one reason only; tax evasion.