What is the best alternative to PermanentTSB - EBS?

Would I be able to use Revolut in EU and Non EU countries with out any charge?

Also can I use it to purchase online, pay in shops like Aldi / Tesco/ Lidl etc?
Yes, to both.

However, there is a limit on ATM transactions, so best to avoid cash. Currently 200 euro per month - above that they charge you.

Which is fair enough - they get charged by the bank that owns the ATM.

There are extensive threads on Revolut if you take a look.

I got this letter as well. I already have an N26 account open. I think I will just move all my banking to this. Small effort in contacting the 3/4 companies I have direct debits with. After that I'm hoping it will be plain sailing!

I was going to go with AIB as the mortgage is with them. But the wife would be charged for her account so better off us both having N26 accounts so we can easily send money to each other.

Been with both Revolut and N26 for a few months now. So far so good although I have not done anything complex yet (eg dds) or needed customer services. From on line reviews the latter seem to be a bit problematic for both.

Been with both Revolut and N26 for a few months now. So far so good although I have not done anything complex yet (eg dds) or needed customer services. From on line reviews the latter seem to be a bit problematic for both.
I'm using both and no problems so far. Closing Ulsterbank current and savings accounts soon. The instant notifications and security settings are great for both. N26 doesn't have am ATM limit amountwise, but does limit it to 5 free withdrawals a month. I use my Revolut card for more or less everything nowadays so would probably only take money out once or twice a month.

I am not with sky. So explore account is of no use to me.

Not quite true. You get 10c back every time you use your debit card up to a maximum of €5/month. If you have 2 people on the account you wouldn't be long racking up the uses.
The discount for Sky (& others) is separate. The explore option is worth checking out if you already have a PTSB current account (like the OP) as there is no switching involved (just renaming of the account)

[QUOTE="Peanuts, post: 1601444, member: 76045"The explore option is worth checking out if you already have a PTSB current account (like the OP) as there is no switching involved (just renaming of the account)[/QUOTE]

That might sway me to stay to avoid the hassle. Someone on another message board said you have to close your account and the open a brand new one. I have Revolut and N26 (highly reccommend both!), so just looking for something to have my salary come into and a few DDs come out of. I'm applying for a mortgage soon so it would be good to be able to show a few years of statements.

I am on the standard plan and I get free ATM withdrawals up to €200 per month. 2% fee thereafter.

I can spend,transfer and exchange money globally for free up to €6,000 per month. 0.5% fee thereafter

I can use my card for free in over 140 currencies in shops or online.

Bank transer is free and you can use in aldi etc. I use it as my everyday card.

Is there any huge down side that anyone can think of for having the 2,500 sitting in the current account?. Its not as if there is money to be made on this amount in a deposit account anymore.

Any possibilities of An Post going down the ATM route? I'd move from my bank straight away if that option was available.

I doubt half the people in An Post even know what ATM stands for, not alone anything more.

The financial institutions are trying to move us to a cashless society anyway, so ATMs seem to be disappearing rather than appearing imho.

Is there any huge down side that anyone can think of for having the 2,500 sitting in the current account?. Its not as if there is money to be made on this amount in a deposit account anymore.

Hi,

Off the top of my head ....
  • Risk of a fraudster taking it (via internet banking, scamming your debit card etc.) ?
  • Are current accounts covered by the deposit guarantee scheme ?
  • Opportunity cost (in terms of other things you could have done with the money, rather than leave it in your current account) ?

I doubt half the people in An Post even know what ATM stands for, not alone anything more.

The financial institutions are trying to move us to a cashless society anyway, so ATMs seem to be disappearing rather than appearing imho.

I looked into An Post after my post but found that their charges for holding a current account are multiples of what the banks charge so that makes it a non-runner in that respect.

Back